"Barbara Lowe" 2nd Episode

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: "Barbara Lowe" 2nd Episode

Post by seaborgium »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:17 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:16 am
Roadgeek Adam wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:09 am Also, I really cannot provide the access for this.
Is it in a Facebook post and you can't download it? If so, here are a couple of ways to do that:

1. Visit the url in your browser and change the address from www.facebook or m.facebook to mbasic.facebook, which loads the page in a Web 1.0 format meant to work with older devices, in which the video frame with the "play" icon on it is a link to an mp4 file (I think of a relatively low quality), which you can right-click/Save As.

2. Even if the post is private, you can use this downloader site by pasting the html source of the page. It will output direct links to the video files of various qualities that, again, you can right-click/Save As.
Stefan, it's on YouTube, but it's unlisted. I'm not sure they really wanted public. I had to ask a friend of the person if I had permission to post the screenshots.
Okay, I understand. Yeah, I wouldn't link someone else's unlisted video here either in a situation like this.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:18 am
Roadgeek Adam wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:17 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:16 am
Roadgeek Adam wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:09 am Also, I really cannot provide the access for this.
Is it in a Facebook post and you can't download it? If so, here are a couple of ways to do that:

1. Visit the url in your browser and change the address from www.facebook or m.facebook to mbasic.facebook, which loads the page in a Web 1.0 format meant to work with older devices, in which the video frame with the "play" icon on it is a link to an mp4 file (I think of a relatively low quality), which you can right-click/Save As.

2. Even if the post is private, you can use this downloader site by pasting the html source of the page. It will output direct links to the video files of various qualities that, again, you can right-click/Save As.
Stefan, it's on YouTube, but it's unlisted. I'm not sure they really wanted public. I had to ask a friend of the person if I had permission to post the screenshots.
Okay, I understand. Yeah, I wouldn't link someone else's unlisted video here either in a situation like this.
I PMed a link to Robert K S cause I figured he might find it useful. I will let you know, but talking to my friends who gave it to me, they may edit the Barbara Lowe part into its own video and repost publicly.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How much of the game is on the video your friend posted?
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I guess I'm out of the loop...but is there something significant about Barbara Lowe, other than being a 5-day champion? I don't remember her...but it's been over 30 years and during 1985-86 season, I worked most evenings and that was in the days before VCRs were widely available so I must have missed her run.

In fact, my college graduation present from my parents was a VCR, so I could finally start watching Jeopardy! (and a few other prime-time shows) again.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

SBurrus wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:36 am I guess I'm out of the loop...but is there something significant about Barbara Lowe, other than being a 5-day champion? I don't remember her...but it's been over 30 years and during 1985-86 season, I worked most evenings and that was in the days before VCRs were widely available so I must have missed her run.

In fact, my college graduation present from my parents was a VCR, so I could finally start watching Jeopardy! (and a few other prime-time shows) again.
She played under an assumed name to skirt eligibility requirements. She won 5 games, but was not invited back for the ToC. Her games were never rerun. Etc.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:26 pm I'm hoping this stuff can be used to at least update Lionel Goldbart's J-archive profile, which lacks the March 6, 1986 date of his loss.
Done. By my math, this was show #389.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WLGp9GltOQ&fbcl

Here is the link to the clip. That's literally all I had.
Adam Seth Moss
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I feel like Molly Shannon could play her.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:01 am
SBurrus wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:36 am I guess I'm out of the loop...but is there something significant about Barbara Lowe, other than being a 5-day champion? I don't remember her...but it's been over 30 years and during 1985-86 season, I worked most evenings and that was in the days before VCRs were widely available so I must have missed her run.

She played under an assumed name to skirt eligibility requirements. She won 5 games, but was not invited back for the ToC. Her games were never rerun. Etc.
Assumed name, false SSN. When they caught her and denied her money, she threatened to sue. In order to quell the suit, she'd keep her money, but can not appear in the TOC and the episodes would never be rerun again, which means Lionel Goldbart's 5th game has not been seen since March 6, 1986. From everything we know, this is the only known copy of anything of her run (that's not locked up in archives for Sony).
Adam Seth Moss
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:49 pm Assumed name, false SSN. When they caught her and denied her money, she threatened to sue. In order to quell the suit, she'd keep her money, but can not appear in the TOC and the episodes would never be rerun again, which means Lionel Goldbart's 5th game has not been seen since March 6, 1986. From everything we know, this is the only known copy of anything of her run.
That's fascinating. I wonder why they paid her off like that. Did she have a chance of winning a lawsuit? I'd think they would've wanted to make an example of her to keep anyone else from trying the same stunt.

On another note, I wonder if there are others who have gotten away with something like this undetected. Maybe we just know about Barbara Lowe and Jeff Kirby because they didn't try very hard not to get caught.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

One time on the old board, someone shared a web page with the story of a guy who, taking up a bet that he couldn't get on J!, showed up to two in-person tests in one day, in disguise for the first one, correctly (according to the story) assuming that they wouldn't give a different test at each session. He went to a library in between, researching as many clues as he could remember, and apparently this was enough to pass the test the second time through as himself. Then he managed to make a good enough impression with the contestant coordinators to get on the show, where he put in an honest effort but remained in third place the whole time. But he cheated his way onto the show, thereby winning the bet.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:54 pm
Roadgeek Adam wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:49 pm Assumed name, false SSN. When they caught her and denied her money, she threatened to sue. In order to quell the suit, she'd keep her money, but can not appear in the TOC and the episodes would never be rerun again, which means Lionel Goldbart's 5th game has not been seen since March 6, 1986. From everything we know, this is the only known copy of anything of her run.
That's fascinating. I wonder why they paid her off like that. Did she have a chance of winning a lawsuit? I'd think they would've wanted to make an example of her to keep anyone else from trying the same stunt.

On another note, I wonder if there are others who have gotten away with something like this undetected. Maybe we just know about Barbara Lowe and Jeff Kirby because they didn't try very hard not to get caught.
I would suspect there have been others. If Kirby can slip through using the exact same name (and tie) it shouldn’t be too hard for a person who changed their name and appearance to do it.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I’d be surprised if there are more, especially in the internet/social media era. Weren’t we talking about Kirby within hours of his second appearance? He would have been caught even if he hadn’t had the hubris to wear the same tie.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

My guess is that J! was young enough that they didn't want to make waves. Probably didn't have the budget or clout to withstand a huge lawsuit, so it was just easier at the time to pay off the scofflaw. Game Show Scandal 2.0 probably didn't look attractive.

Haven't seen the clip with the sound on, but her mannerisms don't seem as awful or argumentative as described. But then again, she provided the correct response, so there's not much for her to contest. I don't doubt the reports that she argued over responses during the game, which is a no-no. (Along with commentary during FJ!...but that was actually a fun little treat this week.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:57 pmI don't doubt the reports that she argued over responses during the game, which is a no-no. (Along with commentary during FJ!...but that was actually a fun little treat this week.)
Well, after is different than during
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

talkingaway wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:57 pm
My guess is that J! was young enough that they didn't want to make waves. Probably didn't have the budget or clout to withstand a huge lawsuit, so it was just easier at the time to pay off the scofflaw. Game Show Scandal 2.0 probably didn't look attractive.

Haven't seen the clip with the sound on, but her mannerisms don't seem as awful or argumentative as described. But then again, she provided the correct response, so there's not much for her to contest. I don't doubt the reports that she argued over responses during the game, which is a no-no. (Along with commentary during FJ!...but that was actually a fun little treat this week.)
Mark Barrett talked about this and took photos from the Harry Eisenberg book discussing this in the new old games thread. We had this discussion basically 7 years ago in the middle of a thread, but here's the screenshot talking about the brazen lawsuit.

Adam Seth Moss
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

I just saw a picture in the recap thread that Roadgeek Adam linked to showing that "Barbara Lowe" appeared on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? as Barbara Vollick.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:33 pm I just saw a picture in the recap thread that Roadgeek Adam linked to showing that "Barbara Lowe" appeared on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? as Barbara Vollick.
And well, there's this on Twitter. Guess who she supported then.
Adam Seth Moss
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Wonder how I could get in touch with her, I could give her a Learned League referral...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

triviawayne wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:34 pm Wonder how I could get in touch with her, I could give her a Learned League referral...
....or two.