Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3832
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:06 pm
davey wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:51 am
Spoiler
opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:51 am
reddpen wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:28 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:48 pm
(As a side note, did the mention of Scheherazade remind anyone of the time Scott Lord got robbed of his 6th win for using the perfectly acceptable spelling "Scherazade"? Just me? Never mind then. What a ripoff.)
Gotta disagree there--Scott omits an entire syllable.
And it's perfectly acceptable to omit that syllable. There are published sources that use Shahrazad, Sharazade, Scherezade, Sherazade, and Scherazad--all close to Scott Lord's spelling, all choosing not to include the unnecessary middle syllable. And the 2011 Penguin edition uses Scherazade, the exact spelling Scott Lord used. (And if you can't trust the bird....) Here are more details if you want them:

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=177083#p177083

tl;dr Scott Lord was indisputably correct and abundantly supported by the literature.
...and I've been wondering what the typo was mentioned in the original post. Not "Sindbad," I hope...
Which original post mentioned a typo? I'm lost.
The post you replied to and excerpted.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7490
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:51 am
Spoiler
opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:51 am
reddpen wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:28 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:48 pm
(As a side note, did the mention of Scheherazade remind anyone of the time Scott Lord got robbed of his 6th win for using the perfectly acceptable spelling "Scherazade"? Just me? Never mind then. What a ripoff.)
Gotta disagree there--Scott omits an entire syllable.
And it's perfectly acceptable to omit that syllable. There are published sources that use Shahrazad, Sharazade, Scherezade, Sherazade, and Scherazad--all close to Scott Lord's spelling, all choosing not to include the unnecessary middle syllable. And the 2011 Penguin edition uses Scherazade, the exact spelling Scott Lord used. (And if you can't trust the bird....) Here are more details if you want them:

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=177083#p177083

tl;dr Scott Lord was indisputably correct and abundantly supported by the literature.
...and I've been wondering what the typo was mentioned in the original post. Not "Sindbad," I hope...
Ok, all caught up now. Yeah, "Sindbad" isn't a typo. That's the exact spelling used in the clue. I can post a screenshot if anyone doesn't want to take my word for it.)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6873
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:03 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:34 am
floridagator wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:25 am
Charlie Byrd is definitely wrong because there is a guitarist by that name.
The clue said it was a saxophonist, so someone who says "Charlie Bird" in response to it is ipso facto not referring to the guitarist.
You are wrong. It matters not who a contestant refers to or who they MEANT to say. If they give an incorrect answer, they will be emanciptated of money.

I also think it's hilarious that you think because a clue says a particular thing, that the door is somehow opened to a LARGER number of incorrect answers. It's just the opposite. The more it says in the clue, the more the answer is pinned. For example, if a question which is intended to go for Charlie Parker said, this jazz musician he is frequently called bird. That might leave the door open to Charlie Byrd as an answer. By specifying saxophonist, that eliminates that possibility.
If someone says "Charlie Bird" in response to a clue asking for a jazz saxophonist, they are wrong because they didn't include a last name, not because their response is homophonous with a different musician.

User avatar
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1446
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:40 pm
floridagator wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:03 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:34 am
floridagator wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:25 am
Charlie Byrd is definitely wrong because there is a guitarist by that name.
The clue said it was a saxophonist, so someone who says "Charlie Bird" in response to it is ipso facto not referring to the guitarist.
You are wrong. It matters not who a contestant refers to or who they MEANT to say. If they give an incorrect answer, they will be emanciptated of money.

I also think it's hilarious that you think because a clue says a particular thing, that the door is somehow opened to a LARGER number of incorrect answers. It's just the opposite. The more it says in the clue, the more the answer is pinned. For example, if a question which is intended to go for Charlie Parker said, this jazz musician he is frequently called bird. That might leave the door open to Charlie Byrd as an answer. By specifying saxophonist, that eliminates that possibility.
If someone says "Charlie Bird" in response to a clue asking for a jazz saxophonist, they are wrong because they didn't include a last name, not because their response is homophonous with a different musician.
I was the one who said it was wrong. Your beef is with Talkingaway, not with me. See this:

talkingaway wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:22 am
To confound the whole Bird/Birdman controversy, I gave a really weird response - I said "Charlie Bird". Would that be a neg? BMS? Accepted? I'm about 99% sure I'd get Parker if given a BMS. In argument for "accepted without any argument", I think "Bird" alone could be a reasonable response, since the clue doesn't specify that you can't give the nickname, and I didn't add extra info that was wrong. It's like saying "Bloody Mary" instead of "Mary I". But on the other hand, in modern parlance, I don't think I've ever heard him referred to by just "Bird" alone - I've always heard/read Charlie "Bird" Parker. So maybe it's like "Big Papi" for David Ortiz - a little too informal for J! to accept without giving the real name.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Thumbelina, LSU, Kit Carson, Samuel Morse, Vientiane, Rupture, The Planets, (Scheherazade)
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.1k games
Alpaca Farm: 1508 quizzes

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6873
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:58 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:40 pm
floridagator wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:03 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:34 am
floridagator wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:25 am
Charlie Byrd is definitely wrong because there is a guitarist by that name.
The clue said it was a saxophonist, so someone who says "Charlie Bird" in response to it is ipso facto not referring to the guitarist.
You are wrong. It matters not who a contestant refers to or who they MEANT to say. If they give an incorrect answer, they will be emanciptated of money.

I also think it's hilarious that you think because a clue says a particular thing, that the door is somehow opened to a LARGER number of incorrect answers. It's just the opposite. The more it says in the clue, the more the answer is pinned. For example, if a question which is intended to go for Charlie Parker said, this jazz musician he is frequently called bird. That might leave the door open to Charlie Byrd as an answer. By specifying saxophonist, that eliminates that possibility.
If someone says "Charlie Bird" in response to a clue asking for a jazz saxophonist, they are wrong because they didn't include a last name, not because their response is homophonous with a different musician.
I was the one who said it was wrong. Your beef is with Talkingaway, not with me. See this:
You said it was wrong for being another musician. It's not like "Charlie Bird" would be right if Charlie Byrd never existed.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 642
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

seaborgium wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:40 pm
floridagator wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:03 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:34 am
floridagator wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:25 am
Charlie Byrd is definitely wrong because there is a guitarist by that name.
The clue said it was a saxophonist, so someone who says "Charlie Bird" in response to it is ipso facto not referring to the guitarist.
You are wrong. It matters not who a contestant refers to or who they MEANT to say. If they give an incorrect answer, they will be emanciptated of money.

I also think it's hilarious that you think because a clue says a particular thing, that the door is somehow opened to a LARGER number of incorrect answers. It's just the opposite. The more it says in the clue, the more the answer is pinned. For example, if a question which is intended to go for Charlie Parker said, this jazz musician he is frequently called bird. That might leave the door open to Charlie Byrd as an answer. By specifying saxophonist, that eliminates that possibility.
If someone says "Charlie Bird" in response to a clue asking for a jazz saxophonist, they are wrong because they didn't include a last name, not because their response is homophonous with a different musician.

That's exactly what I was going for, and honestly, I know it's an incomplete answer, and I'd take it on the nose if the judges were to rule that way.

But...I mean, if I said "Who is Celine?" for Celine Dion, I think Alex would at least pause a beat, and perhaps BMS me or give me a "we need more" look off-camera. Would I have come up with Parker spontaneously? Possibly. With prodding? Probably, but I'll never know. Of course, it's difficult for a judge to tell if I really thought that Bird was the last name or a nickname, and honestly, I wasn't thinking about it too much as I played along. I definitely had NHO Charlie Byrd the guitarist.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8316
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

reddpen wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:51 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:02 pm
Thanks for another fucking unnanounced fucking preemption, you goddamn rude assholes at WNEM. I thought we weren't doing this shit anymore.
Bobby! Language!
Sorry. It's a proven fact that coprolalia is a symptom of insufficient Jeopardy! consumption.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6873
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:48 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:40 pm

If someone says "Charlie Bird" in response to a clue asking for a jazz saxophonist, they are wrong because they didn't include a last name, not because their response is homophonous with a different musician.

That's exactly what I was going for, and honestly, I know it's an incomplete answer, and I'd take it on the nose if the judges were to rule that way.

But...I mean, if I said "Who is Celine?" for Celine Dion, I think Alex would at least pause a beat, and perhaps BMS me or give me a "we need more" look off-camera. Would I have come up with Parker spontaneously? Possibly. With prodding? Probably, but I'll never know. Of course, it's difficult for a judge to tell if I really thought that Bird was the last name or a nickname, and honestly, I wasn't thinking about it too much as I played along. I definitely had NHO Charlie Byrd the guitarist.
I think the best you could hope for on "Charlie Bird" is a pregnant pause, and having the presence of mind to suddenly realize that you've merely said a first name and nickname, pull up the last name, and say that as well, all before your time runs out or Alex rules you wrong. Then again, they did accept "Who is Baby Ruth?" for Ruth Cleveland once—in FJ, no less!—while also ruling against someone who just responded "Who is Cleveland?" (They eventually brought the latter person back.)

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by reddpen »

davey wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:41 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:06 pm
davey wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:51 am
Spoiler
opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:51 am
reddpen wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:28 am

Gotta disagree there--Scott omits an entire syllable.
And it's perfectly acceptable to omit that syllable. There are published sources that use Shahrazad, Sharazade, Scherezade, Sherazade, and Scherazad--all close to Scott Lord's spelling, all choosing not to include the unnecessary middle syllable. And the 2011 Penguin edition uses Scherazade, the exact spelling Scott Lord used. (And if you can't trust the bird....) Here are more details if you want them:

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=177083#p177083

tl;dr Scott Lord was indisputably correct and abundantly supported by the literature.
...and I've been wondering what the typo was mentioned in the original post. Not "Sindbad," I hope...
Which original post mentioned a typo? I'm lost.
The post you replied to and excerpted.
That was mine.
reddpen wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:28 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:48 pm
(As a side note, did the mention of Scheherazade remind anyone of the time Scott Lord got robbed of his 6th win for using the perfectly acceptable spelling "Scherazade"? Just me? Never mind then. What a ripoff.)
Gotta disagree there--Scott omits an entire syllable. But thanks for the link, as I spotted a typo in the FJ clue and submitted a correction.
Confronted with overwhelming evidence, I withdraw both of my prior comments (Scott omitted a mandatory syllable, Sindbad is a typo)... with the caveat that searching for "The Sea and Sin[d]bad's Ship" (which I did before submitting) turns up more than twice as many results without the first "d."

Thanks for sparing me the abject humiliation of replying to the archive's rejecting my "correction" by suggesting that Sindbad in the clue was a UER.
Last edited by reddpen on Fri May 01, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back in the pool

User avatar
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:42 am
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by skrambler »

MitchO wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 pm
NO WAY JOSE?! Of all the wrestlers big and small, famous or otherwise, they picked NO WAY JOSE?!?! At least Kofi Kingston is a former World Champ and multi time Tag Champ.

(He was one of the lowest "jobbers" of anyone on the roster for brief 2 years he was on the main roster, and was one of several wrestlers released a few weeks ago).
FWIW, I think they clued it that way to lead the contestants to "world". Kofi Kingston has two names tangentially related to internationality [Kofi (Annan) being the former SG of the UN, Kingston the capital of Jamaica], and pairing that with a Spanish name gets you a lot of the way there.
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!

User avatar
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MitchO »

jeff6286 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:21 am
MitchO wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 pm
I love when it's blatantly clear that nobody involves in the clue has any clue about the topic. A while back they had a question about Transformers that picked a character so obscure that I had to look it up to make sure it was even a Transformer, and I'm pretty sure I could name close to 100 of them.
Curious how long ago you mean by "a while" as I couldn't remember this and looking at the Archive I don't see anything recent that fits your description.
http://www.j-archive.com/suggestcorrect ... _id=287956

Megatron, Firestar or an electrical device that converts voltage
FIRESTAR? I had mental whiplash since I couldn't get past Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. :p

User avatar
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MitchO »

skrambler wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:55 pm
MitchO wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 pm
NO WAY JOSE?! Of all the wrestlers big and small, famous or otherwise, they picked NO WAY JOSE?!?! At least Kofi Kingston is a former World Champ and multi time Tag Champ.

(He was one of the lowest "jobbers" of anyone on the roster for brief 2 years he was on the main roster, and was one of several wrestlers released a few weeks ago).
FWIW, I think they clued it that way to lead the contestants to "world". Kofi Kingston has two names tangentially related to internationality [Kofi (Annan) being the former SG of the UN, Kingston the capital of Jamaica], and pairing that with a Spanish name gets you a lot of the way there.
Kofi's character was specifically named Kingston because they pretended he was from Jamaica, so sure ... but lord knows there are so many wrestler character names that could do a better job than "Jose". -shrug- It's just a really weird choice.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7135
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

MitchO wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:36 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:21 am
MitchO wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 pm
I love when it's blatantly clear that nobody involves in the clue has any clue about the topic. A while back they had a question about Transformers that picked a character so obscure that I had to look it up to make sure it was even a Transformer, and I'm pretty sure I could name close to 100 of them.
Curious how long ago you mean by "a while" as I couldn't remember this and looking at the Archive I don't see anything recent that fits your description.
http://www.j-archive.com/suggestcorrect ... _id=287956

Megatron, Firestar or an electrical device that converts voltage
FIRESTAR? I had mental whiplash since I couldn't get past Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. :p
I find it hard to believe someone without any clue, with all options available, could stumble upon Firestar... Reads more like humblebrag to me

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

talkingaway wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:48 pm

But...I mean, if I said "Who is Celine?" for Celine Dion, I think Alex would at least pause a beat, and perhaps BMS me or give me a "we need more" look off-camera.
One time they asked for the cartoon character who lived in a pineapple under the sea, or something like that, and a contestant rang in with Spongebob. Alex stared at him and waited for him to give the complete name, Spongebob Squarepants.

I think about that a lot.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MitchO »

Volante wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:24 pm
I find it hard to believe someone without any clue, with all options available, could stumble upon Firestar... Reads more like humblebrag to me
No, because if you knew you were going that deep down the rabbit hole, you wouldn't think you're writing a good clue, imo. Between this one and No Way Jose, I'm confident whoever wrote the clue just Googled "List of Transformers/WWE Superstars" and picked one sufficiently far down the list so it looked sufficiently random.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:41 am
Here is the closed captioning for Jesse's Laos response:
This kind of thing is why, after 7-plus years working as a closed-captioner, I never watch shows with the captions on anymore. If I wind up losing my hearing, I'll probably just give up TV.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7490
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:49 am
alietr wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:41 am
Here is the closed captioning for Jesse's Laos response:
This kind of thing is why, after 7-plus years working as a closed-captioner, I never watch shows with the captions on anymore. If I wind up losing my hearing, I'll probably just give up TV.
So you're saying the closed-captioning is laos-y?

I'll get me coat.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7490
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:49 am
alietr wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:41 am
Here is the closed captioning for Jesse's Laos response:
This kind of thing is why, after 7-plus years working as a closed-captioner, I never watch shows with the captions on anymore. If I wind up losing my hearing, I'll probably just give up TV.
Seriously, though, what are your thoughts on why the captions are inaccurate? No quality control or bonus for accuracy? Pushing captioners to meet a quota so they don't have time to rewind and listen carefully? Captioners with substandard education or hearing?

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:41 am
Seriously, though, what are your thoughts on why the captions are inaccurate? No quality control or bonus for accuracy? Pushing captioners to meet a quota so they don't have time to rewind and listen carefully? Captioners with substandard education or hearing?
All of the above, probably. What they need are the type of people who would do well on "Jeopardy!", but the pay and working conditions aren't necessarily good enough to attract that type of person to the profession.

Post Reply