FJs for the 4/27/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/27/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:48 pm

Before they were photographed together in 1862, Lincoln wryly noted this general "should have no problem" sitting still for it
51%
The last line of this epic film was "Go--proclaim liberty throughout all the lands unto all the inhabitants thereof"
69%
Its first line ends, "the period was so far like the present period...for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only"
86%
Copywriter Keith Goldberg wrote this question in 1999 for a financial services company; they're still using it
65%
On the English-language list of member states at un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its name  
79%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
21%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all five clues.
1%
HER MAJOR MOVIE DEBUT $2000: The female lead in the 1976 remake of "King Kong"
49%
BODY PART AKAs $1000: Pollex
26%
CHILDREN'S LIT $1000: One of the first novels for children was the 1765 book seen here about this girl whose name now means someone annoyingly virtuous
17%
Stonewall Jackson was my miss for the Monday FJ! clue.
16%
U.S. Grant was my miss for the Monday FJ! clue.
15%
I thought of McClellan for the Monday FJ! clue and yet still guessed someone else.
5%
Spartacus was my miss for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
Pollyanna was a neg for me on the CHILDREN'S LIT clue above.
40%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue in part/in whole by trying to think of a "La", "Las" or "Los" country.
9%

Total votes: 95

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: FJs for the 4/27/20 week

Post by opusthepenguin »

cthulhu wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:02 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:27 am
cthulhu wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:24 am Chalk up another Ben-Hur on Tuesday. In my defense, during my childhood when The Ten Commandments was a fixture on Sunday night TV for Easter / Passover season, it was such a long movie that my bedtime was shortly after the parting of the Red Sea, and I (to this day!) have never seen the whole movie.
Spoiler
They never make it to the Promised Land.
Despite being an atheist, I have read the book on which the movie is based, but I think that last line was written just for the movie. :lol:
The line is from Leviticus 25:10 (as indicated by a marginal reference next to the line in the final shooting script, interestingly enough). It's referring to the command for every-50th-year celebrations of Jubilee. The land remains fallow and is reconsecrated. Slaves are set free. Etc. So it is from the Bible and specifically from the Law given during the Exodus. But it's not recorded as something spoken as a valediction by Moses when he passes the mantle to Joshua.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

Misread Friday's FJ! clue as asking for a country with English as its official language. Quemars said on reddit that he misread it the same way.

Negged with "tailbone" on the body part clue.

This is my 10th week in a row getting at least 3 (seven 3/5s, two 4/5s, one 5/5)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:
Glad a couple of the extra clues weren't FJs this week.

Like many, misread the El Salvador clue thinking they wanted an English-language country, but put it down anyway -- only one I could think of. Misspelled it, though, adding an extra "E" at the end for some reason.

I answered "Little Miss Goody Two-Shoes," but since the clue asked for the character and not the book title, I'm counting it.

The pollex clue caused a flashback to a memory I hadn't thought of in decades. In my first A&P class, the instructor joked that in Rome, the pollex was the right thumb only while the left thumb was the caster (with an "e"). Then he had to explain the joke to the 98% who gave him a blank stare instead of a groan. After that class, in over 40 years in health care, I never heard the term again. It was always just a thumb.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:10 am
cthulhu wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:02 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:27 am
cthulhu wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:24 am Chalk up another Ben-Hur on Tuesday. In my defense, during my childhood when The Ten Commandments was a fixture on Sunday night TV for Easter / Passover season, it was such a long movie that my bedtime was shortly after the parting of the Red Sea, and I (to this day!) have never seen the whole movie.
Spoiler
They never make it to the Promised Land.
Despite being an atheist, I have read the book on which the movie is based, but I think that last line was written just for the movie. :lol:
The line is from Leviticus 25:10 (as indicated by a marginal reference next to the line in the final shooting script, interestingly enough). It's referring to the command for every-50th-year celebrations of Jubilee. The land remains fallow and is reconsecrated. Slaves are set free. Etc. So it is from the Bible and specifically from the Law given during the Exodus. But it's not recorded as something spoken as a valediction by Moses when he passes the mantle to Joshua.
I stand (well, as much as a tentacled monster can stand) corrected! It's been a long time since my Baptist and proud of it aunt gave me the Children's Bible for my 7th birthday, and I read it cover-to-cover out of guilt for harboring doubts even at that tender age; both my parents were raised strict Baptist but decided to not inflict that particular hell on us kids, and my mom's sisters in particular were worried about my and my siblings' immortal souls...
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :| :|

Said Grant just to say something on Monday.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If this turns out to be the last week of regular/non-rerun shows for J! this season, this is the way I want to go out. My 5-for-5 weeks aren't all that common.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

I didn't get around to posting. You can see why I hesitated.

I got pollex and hallux confused. After going 4/10 before the first reruns, I'm hoping that the remaining four weeks of FJs turn out better.