Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Bamawoman and I were watching FJ together and had the following conversation.

Who is it?
Marion Jones.
So you could just guess Smith or Jones.

After Alex said they could accept just Jones she said “He got lucky”.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

For me, the highlight of this rerun was seeing Sofia again. Here's an article about her that ran in the Chicago Tribune the day after this game aired:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

I also happened to notice that in those days they were pointing at camera at a monitor that was showing the game questions. Whereas today the video with the game questions on it goes directly into the broadcast without passing through a camera.
Last edited by floridagator on Mon May 04, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Just watched the episode, and now I can't wait to rewatch the GOAT encore; what a way to keep fans entertained while running out of new episodes. Anyways, except for the closed captioning sponsors, they didn't dub in the music package; I was expecting they would've dubbed in the music during the end credits like they did when they reran old episodes in 2009, but they didn't do that either.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

This was a nice blast from the past. My son, who watches with me most nights, commented that the pace seemed quicker than it is today. Any thoughts?
Leander

Post by Leander »

Woppy T wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:59 pm This was a nice blast from the past. My son, who watches with me most nights, commented that the pace seemed quicker than it is today. Any thoughts?
We thought so too. Alex in particular seemed to read the questions very rapidly.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Lord, this episode took me back.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:12 am I expect the new champ to win several games. :roll:
Oh, good. Just put the whammy on him.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:56 pm
ALEX: So we've got to adjust your final score in that game to $2,799, which means you finish in third place. That of course means we can no longer give you credit for the 73 games that followed or for your second-place finishes in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions and the contest against IBM's Watson. That reduces your winnings by $3,196,300, But you do get to keep $1000 of that for your third-place finish in your first game.
I do think Ken (and also Jerry!) should have the opportunity to try again. After all, they gave them a Final Jeopardy! that had no correct response. So wipe Ken's 74 wins and let him start from scratch, see if he can do it again.

Also, It looks like Marion's medals were stripped in 2007 so in this dream I don't think Ken would have had the IBM money yet.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:25 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:56 pm
ALEX: So we've got to adjust your final score in that game to $2,799, which means you finish in third place. That of course means we can no longer give you credit for the 73 games that followed or for your second-place finishes in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions and the contest against IBM's Watson. That reduces your winnings by $3,196,300, But you do get to keep $1000 of that for your third-place finish in your first game.
I do think Ken (and also Jerry!) should have the opportunity to try again. After all, they gave them a Final Jeopardy! that had no correct response. So wipe Ken's 74 wins and let him start from scratch, see if he can do it again.

Also, It looks like Marion's medals were stripped in 2007 so in this dream I don't think Ken would have had the IBM money yet.
He didn't have the dream until 2014.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

If they're accepting "Jones", I'm assuming they're accepting my just "Carter" for Amy Carter? Eh, I'd have BMSed it, but...seems like a bold FJ! move if you know it's Marion Jones and you're going to wager that the last name is sufficient. Is the risk of putting down the first name and being accdientally wrong outweighed by the risk of getting the biggest "oooh, sorry" of them all? Way too early for Lolo Jones, anyway.

Great way to start off the week, especially with that first clue. The folks at J! have been trying to warn us all this time, haven't they?

Some people probably feel validated when they get a clue on J!. Chuck Schumer probably feels great that his clue value has gone from the obscure bottom row this game to the "everyone knows me" top row as of a couple of years ago. His first three clues in the archive were all basically the same: match New York/Brooklyn with Schumer, with a relatively useless TOM of "D'Amato successor".
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:04 am
Golf wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:12 am I expect the new champ to win several games. :roll:
+1
The two triple stumpers:

PLAY TIME $800: A Parcheesi player begins with 4 pieces & can move a maximum of this many of them on one roll of the dice

COUNTRY TIME $1200: In April 1939 this country absorbed Albania

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=224

224 for the id while the next one that goes in will be 6628
I skipped this rerun at first because I thought it was the recent GOAT event. But I had to tune in for the nostalgia aspect, not especially the KJ connection.

1) Yeah, why did Ken take such a chance on his FJ answer? (rhetorical Q only).
2) The (mostly) downward clue calling seems very anachronistic now. Now I'm not so sure I want it to come back :).
3) I thought Jerry got ripped off on his Liebermann neg. And it seemed like an awkward pause before Ken took the layup rebound as if neither player wanted to be the vulture. And, unfortunately, the clue reminded me of the despicable man who sold out our chance for real health care reform to the moneygrabbers of the insurance industry.
4) Addressing the boardies here, especially the underappreciated archivists: The pace of play seemed frantic, was this real? Absolutely no pauses and lightning fast clue calls and responses. In contrast, the interview sessions seemed much longer, without the harried pace. Did the show use some editing technology to speed up the speech without changing voice and intonation? Is the rerun faithful to the original airing? It's like all three of them had triple espressos (since Red Bull wasn't a thing yet, lol..)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:21 pm Did the show use some editing technology to speed up the speech without changing voice and intonation? Is the rerun faithful to the original airing? It's like all three of them had triple espressos (since Red Bull wasn't a thing yet, lol..)
Red Bull was most definitely a thing in 2004. Heck, Monster was a thing by then even.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:24 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:21 pm Did the show use some editing technology to speed up the speech without changing voice and intonation? Is the rerun faithful to the original airing? It's like all three of them had triple espressos (since Red Bull wasn't a thing yet, lol..)
Red Bull was most definitely a thing in 2004. Heck, Monster was a thing by then even.
Oh, snap. I didn't know the year of the show but it cited 2003 movies so I was guessing 2005. Pure geezer moment there - (quick google) Red Bull came to California in 1997 so the contestants could have been amped up on it. This is a pre-smartphone show (I-phone 2007, not considering Blackberry ca. 2000). I was glad to see a throwback episode, I'm good now for another 15 years.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Quick question, was the Waterpik commercial from 2004 or today?
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 am Quick question, was the Waterpik commercial from 2004 or today?
It was 16:9 as opposed to (most of) the rest of the episode that was in 4:3, so probably today. Or at least post-2007ish, or whenever J! converted to HD, and considering they never reran the episode, I don't see why the waterpik would have been from an old episode.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:37 am
Volante wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:24 pm
Oh, snap. I didn't know the year of the show but it cited 2003 movies so I was guessing 2005. Pure geezer moment there - (quick google) Red Bull came to California in 1997 so the contestants could have been amped up on it. This is a pre-smartphone show (I-phone 2007, not considering Blackberry ca. 2000). I was glad to see a throwback episode, I'm good now for another 15 years.
Red Bull had a promotional vehicle that sat outside my high school in 2004 and aggressively gave out free samples to students. This happens to be about 3 miles away from the current HQ of Monster Energy. Monster has completely won the local battle 15 years later.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

My thought when watching this game was "The clues used to be a lot easier" but from what I've seen elsewhere, that isn't the case.

I had 32 R, but went 0/4 on the big clues.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:21 pm 1) Yeah, why did Ken take such a chance on his FJ answer? (rhetorical Q only).
In Brainiac he says he was following his Quiz Bowl training and thus stuck to the last name only. Under the lights he didn't even consider how common the name "Jones" is and that he was taking a risk by not including the first name, which he did know.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My wife thinks airing Ken's first game and then the GOAT tourney is a preview to Ken being announced as Alex's replacement. Can't say I'd be shocked if that came to pass.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:29 am My wife thinks airing Ken's first game and then the GOAT tourney is a preview to Ken being announced as Alex's replacement. Can't say I'd be shocked if that came to pass.
Hopefully Alex continues on. If not, though, Ken is personable, quick on his feet and comfortable in front of the camera. He would be a good choice.