Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:40 pm
It is quite astonishing to see that Julia almost won this and how close KJ came to being just another contestant.
IIRC He dodged another bullet in his 5th game. If his opponent had correctly answered FJ, it would've been "Buh-Bye!"

And that is what constitutes "a J! player winning because of luck" in the alternate universe in which KJ resides.

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

floridagator wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:08 pm
For me, the highlight of this rerun was seeing Sofia again. Here's an article about her that ran in the Chicago Tribune the day after this game aired:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
Thanks for the article. Interesting that it ran the very day after this episode. Maybe a sign that the show was trying to build publicity in every way possible, knowing well what was about to happen. But the most interesting part was not about Sofia at all, but this glimpse into the pre-online-test world:
Lidskog was speaking to about 60 slightly bleary-eyed game-show hopefuls, who had just finished the trivia quiz. (Only six passed.)
I wonder if the passing percentage is similar for the online test today.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7505
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:29 am
My wife thinks airing Ken's first game and then the GOAT tourney is a preview to Ken being announced as Alex's replacement. Can't say I'd be shocked if that came to pass.
Like you, I wouldn't be shocked. But I lean toward thinking that the simpler explanation works just as well. They decided to run the GOAT tourney because it got good ratings in its original run on ABC. They realized this would give them two weeks minus a couple of half hour games. They kicked around some ideas for two more games to run and the KJ bookends made the most sense. They say KJ's first game hasn't been rerun since its original release. (Does that include GSN?) I don't know if that's true of his last game as well. Either way it makes sense to let the old fans see the games again and the new crowd see them for the first time.

Still, it's a fun theor, and not at all implausible. So thanks to your wife for dreaming it up, and to you for passing it along.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 644
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

DanKirshner wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:29 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:29 am
My wife thinks airing Ken's first game and then the GOAT tourney is a preview to Ken being announced as Alex's replacement. Can't say I'd be shocked if that came to pass.
Hopefully Alex continues on. If not, though, Ken is personable, quick on his feet and comfortable in front of the camera. He would be a good choice.
I wouldn't be disappointed if this were the case, but I just have the feeling it's not what's going to happen. Ken has shot down every single rumor of being Trebek 2.0 out there. People have pointed out the conflict of interest in terms of connections (Kennections?) to quiz bowl/trivia circuit contestants - if you put Ken in, you're basically dumping 100 gallons of bleach into the contestant pool, particularly for any ToCs.

That said, I probably would love to see Ken host, and the first games back be Celebrity J!. No, not because I'm a big fan of celebs on game shows - I'm honestly not. But can anyone think of a perfect celebrity for Ken's first show? One who might have some extra free time and be willing to come back to the Sony studios, if only out of habit?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9840
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

They reran Ken’s first game at the end of S25. It was probably also rerun on Daytime Jeopardy (or whatever they called it then) a year after its original airing.

gameshowfandanny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Bamaman wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:39 pm
They reran Ken’s first game at the end of S25. It was probably also rerun on Daytime Jeopardy (or whatever they called it then) a year after its original airing.
I don't think they started doing the daytime run until around the 2012-13 season, when it was listed as a repeat of Jeopardy! They changed it to Daytime Jeopardy.
Also, Ken's first game wasn't rerun at the end of S25. I know I've said this in other threads, but this was the schedule for that week.
Monday: Greg/Lois/Frank (First Trebek episode not counting the two pilots)
Tuesday: Eddie/Jane/Ted (Eddie Timanus retires as undefeated 5-time champion)
Wednesday: Ken/Rob/Kathi (Ken Jennings wins his 74th game)
Thursday: Ken/Nancy/David (Ken Jennings is defeated by Nancy Zerg)
Friday: Ken/Jerome/Brad (Brad Rutter wins the Ultimate Tournament of Champions)

User avatar
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Fleeboy »

gameshowfandanny wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:53 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:39 pm
They reran Ken’s first game at the end of S25. It was probably also rerun on Daytime Jeopardy (or whatever they called it then) a year after its original airing.
I don't think they started doing the daytime run until around the 2012-13 season, when it was listed as a repeat of Jeopardy! They changed it to Daytime Jeopardy.
Where I live, year-old games have been airing since 2002, if not earlier.

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 »

talkingaway wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:24 pm
That said, I probably would love to see Ken host, and the first games back be Celebrity J!. No, not because I'm a big fan of celebs on game shows - I'm honestly not. But can anyone think of a perfect celebrity for Ken's first show? One who might have some extra free time and be willing to come back to the Sony studios, if only out of habit?
What an awesome idea! I would even pay money to see AT as a contestant.

gameshowfandanny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Fleeboy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:04 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:53 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:39 pm
They reran Ken’s first game at the end of S25. It was probably also rerun on Daytime Jeopardy (or whatever they called it then) a year after its original airing.
I don't think they started doing the daytime run until around the 2012-13 season, when it was listed as a repeat of Jeopardy! They changed it to Daytime Jeopardy.
Where I live, year-old games have been airing since 2002, if not earlier.
Oh, so that means Ken's run probably aired in the year-old run on June 1-July 22, September 5-16, October 3-14, October 24-November 8, and November 23-29, 2005.

GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by GoodStrategy »

gameshowfandanny wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:26 am
Oh, so that means Ken's run probably aired in the year-old run on June 1-July 22, September 5-16, October 3-14, October 24-November 8, and November 23-29, 2005.
Add a week to the dates from September on - 2005 had a seven-week summer hiatus.

gameshowfandanny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gameshowfandanny »

GoodStrategy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:24 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:26 am
Oh, so that means Ken's run probably aired in the year-old run on June 1-July 22, September 5-16, October 3-14, October 24-November 8, and November 23-29, 2005.
Add a week to the dates from September on - 2005 had a seven-week summer hiatus.
Oh, that's true. His Season 21 episodes probably aired on September 12-23, October 10-21, October 31-November 15, and November 30-December 6.

User avatar
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:42 am

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by buckeyebrain »

So I'm a tad confused. I make liberal use of the DVR (since I'm currently on YouTube TV, that means Library). I got the "Ken's First Game" and watched it last night, but got nothing for last night's timeslot. I assumed that they were airing the GOAT on ABC itself, like last time. But I got nothing either in the normal Library or the GOAT Library. Did YTTV miss an episode? What aired in syndication last night?

User avatar
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1449
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

^ the first half of the January 7th goat game
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 644
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

buckeyebrain wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:43 pm
So I'm a tad confused. I make liberal use of the DVR (since I'm currently on YouTube TV, that means Library). I got the "Ken's First Game" and watched it last night, but got nothing for last night's timeslot. I assumed that they were airing the GOAT on ABC itself, like last time. But I got nothing either in the normal Library or the GOAT Library. Did YTTV miss an episode? What aired in syndication last night?
The name of the show is different in most listings, so you probably missed it. In syndication, the show formerly known as Jeopardy! is now listed as Jeopardy! The Greatest of All Time from 5/5-5/14, and doesn't record on my FiOS DVR (unless you record it separately and make sure that you enable "record repeats".)

This is the same problem that happened back in January - some people were surprised when J! didn't automatically record in prime time. The normal syndie J! recorded at the normal time (7 or 7:30 in many markets), but prime time J! had the different title, and you had to add that program into your DVR wishlist too.

On 5/4, it was titled Jeopardy! and showed Ken's first game, but there was some weird stuff where Wheel said it was Ken's first game, and that J! was new. The 5/15 episode shows Ken's last episode, and may not record unless you have repeats enabled.

I assume ABC had GOAT available on their On Demand platform at some point, but I would guess it's off there by now. Perhaps it will return after syndie J! reruns it.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4703
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

I'm on U-verse, they still have this week's episodes listed as Teachers Tournament so they've all been recorded.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7505
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:18 pm
I'm on U-verse, they still have this week's episodes listed as Teachers Tournament so they've all been recorded.
For all the times boardies have missed Jeopardy! because of sloppiness and inattention from their local affiliate, it's nice to hear of someone actually benefiting!

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3838
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:54 pm
buckeyebrain wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:43 pm
So I'm a tad confused. I make liberal use of the DVR (since I'm currently on YouTube TV, that means Library). I got the "Ken's First Game" and watched it last night, but got nothing for last night's timeslot. I assumed that they were airing the GOAT on ABC itself, like last time. But I got nothing either in the normal Library or the GOAT Library. Did YTTV miss an episode? What aired in syndication last night?
The name of the show is different in most listings, so you probably missed it. In syndication, the show formerly known as Jeopardy! is now listed as Jeopardy! The Greatest of All Time from 5/5-5/14, and doesn't record on my FiOS DVR (unless you record it separately and make sure that you enable "record repeats".)

This is the same problem that happened back in January - some people were surprised when J! didn't automatically record in prime time. The normal syndie J! recorded at the normal time (7 or 7:30 in many markets), but prime time J! had the different title, and you had to add that program into your DVR wishlist too.

On 5/4, it was titled Jeopardy! and showed Ken's first game, but there was some weird stuff where Wheel said it was Ken's first game, and that J! was new. The 5/15 episode shows Ken's last episode, and may not record unless you have repeats enabled.

I assume ABC had GOAT available on their On Demand platform at some point, but I would guess it's off there by now. Perhaps it will return after syndie J! reruns it.
I'm in NY and have a FIOS DVR as well and it's listing all the episodes this week and next as New and recording them. I went into my system to cancel the GOAT shows.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:18 pm
I'm on U-verse, they still have this week's episodes listed as Teachers Tournament so they've all been recorded.
Weird that they're not getting the same program listings as their corporate sibling DirecTV (which has the "Greatest of All Time" listings).

Post Reply