Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by classicroadster »

I totally misunderstood the first question and answered with all 3...I wish he'd clarified with "part of the trio" or something like that because on reading the question it sounded like il brutto was the translation of the whole title. I couldn't pull Chagalls name out of my brain, Chopin kept getting stuck in there. 1980s hip hop? Right in my wheelhouse. Oh, and a note to my opponents, please continue to give me 2 points plus on sports questions. Thanks.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:57 am I knew that the film was called Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo in Italian, so I appreciated the hint that those three weren't in the same order as the English title.
I screwed up there, thinking it was 'il brutto, il buono and il cattivo'. I knew 'buono' was good, and if they're in a different order, that meant brutto had to be bad. (and not knowing the direct translation, 'brutto' could easily work for 'bad')

Didn't cost me though; i (predictably) got a zero for it and missed another question while my opponent six packed.

When my regression to the mean comes, it's going to -hurt-...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I played Eric B and Rakim's "Paid in Full" a lot when I was in high school, so that one was a gimme for me. Luckily I pulled out a nice defensive victory yesterday 7(5)-6(5). My opponent missed Marc and I missed water polo, which is sort of embarrassing considering I'm a swimmer. Water polo never even crossed my mind!!
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

I misunderstood the question and put all three. Didn't end up mattering, as I lost 5(3)-9(6). My record is now a perfect 2-2-2 going into MD7.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Volante wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:28 am
teapot37 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:57 am I knew that the film was called Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo in Italian, so I appreciated the hint that those three weren't in the same order as the English title.
I screwed up there, thinking it was 'il brutto, il buono and il cattivo'. I knew 'buono' was good, and if they're in a different order, that meant brutto had to be bad. (and not knowing the direct translation, 'brutto' could easily work for 'bad')

Didn't cost me though; i (predictably) got a zero for it and missed another question while my opponent six packed.
Surprised that "bad" didn't register even 5%, and there was no MCWA at all.
Volante

Post by Volante »

RandyG wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:57 pm
Volante wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:28 am

Surprised that "bad" didn't register even 5%, and there was no MCWA at all.
Bad was the MCWA, it just didn't break 5%. Yesterday I had 1 MCWA, today I have 2 and I didn't put down MC Hammer for my other wrong.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'll repost here since not everyone is on FB:

The Marc (Chagall) question reminds me of a neat story ... There's a synagogue in Georgetown near where I attend High Holy services. Across the street is the house of a couple who were friends with Chagall, and he stayed with them for a while in 1968. In thanks, he created and installed a 10'x17' mosaic (called Orphée) of glass and stone on their garden wall.

It was hidden from the street, so unless you were a friend of theirs, it remained unseen. But, on the High Holidays, they left the gate to the garden open so people attending the synagogue would have a place to rest and contemplate. I saw it twice while it was there (hey, the gate was open), and it really was beautiful. She passed away after her husband, and when she did, they moved the whole wall to the Smithsonian National Gallery of Art's Sculpture Garden.

The picture (of its original location), I assure you, does not do it justice.

Chagall.jpg
Chagall.jpg (143.95 KiB) Viewed 5961 times
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

8 of the 14 matches is A Magnolia yesterday were 9(6)-9(6) ties. I keep waiting for the drop, like in an EDM song.... The overall qpct is .578 - about .1 higher than the historical average. Good (but mortal) quizzers and boardies like FrankJ, FrumkinJ and myself have gaudy scores normally put up by scarf-wearers.

A correction is due.
Thorsten will have his day.
Sell your stocks.
Keep your children inside.
Back up your data.
Winter is coming.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

boson wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:08 am 8 of the 14 matches is A Magnolia yesterday were 9(6)-9(6) ties. I keep waiting for the drop, like in an EDM song.... The overall qpct is .578 - about .1 higher than the historical average. Good (but mortal) quizzers and boardies like FrankJ, FrumkinJ and myself have gaudy scores normally put up by scarf-wearers.

A correction is due.
Thorsten will have his day.
Sell your stocks.
Keep your children inside.
Back up your data.
Winter is coming.
There's always a reversion to the mean. I'm at at about +.11 myself. Out of the six days thus far, curiously, my only wins have come on the days I've gotten a 9(6). If I missed any questions at all that day, I lost. (Once to a 9(6), once not.) I face Lampy - who is, predictably, leading the rundle - on Monday, so I kind of hope the reversion happens Tuesday at the earliest, so I can at least get a tie out of it...
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Cheesesteak was an instant get but at the end of the day I typed in and submitted cheesecake. Undoubtedly the dumbest thing I've ever done as a LLama. Cost me a tie. I have a funny feeling I'll be relegated out of A by a point, which would serve me right and might be a blessing.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

After six straight 5's, something had to give. Yesterday I drank the beer alone and now I'm leading my rundle!
My QvH is 147, so yeah, a correction is coming.
Hoping for a third lap
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I lost 8(4)-6(5) yesterday. I thought I had defended properly but I got burned. My opponent’s best category was film so I assigned zero for Jaws and he missed it. I had faced this person once before and that day had a Japanese themed question that he got right. So I assigned one and he missed it. His worst category from yesterday’s questions was art so I assigned three and he got it.

My only miss was the art question. Granted I am not an art expert but I had never heard that term before.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

How did 80+% get cheesesteak?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:11 am How did 80+% get cheesesteak?
Big concentration of the league population is in the northeast?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My first thought was hamburger but that didn’t make sense. Then I noticed Thorsten just said the guy sold them in “his hometown” but didn’t mention the name of the town. So I decided the name of the place must be important and the Philly Cheesesteak was the first food item that came to mind that sounds like it might be sold by a hot dog vendor.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:15 am
Big concentration of the league population is in the northeast?
Not that high. And it's not like the streets named were the ones you think of when you think of Philly.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Northeast regional invented sandwich in close proximity to New Jersey.
Cheesesteak was either going to be right or the MCWA.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:18 am
Northeast regional invented sandwich in close proximity to New Jersey.
Cheesesteak was either going to be right or the MCWA.
The question is:
"An Italian-American named Pat Olivieri, who operated a hot dog stand in the 1930s in his hometown at the intersection of Wharton St., South 9th St., and Passyunk Ave., is credited, with his brother Harry, with creating what sandwich?"

Where are you getting "northeast" (fine, that I can give you from Italian-American) and "in close proximity to New Jersey" from?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Plus, Pat's is one of the most famous cheesesteak restaurants in Philadelphia. (The Pat's vs Geno's rivalry is a big thing.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, I got it because I've eaten there many, many times over a 45 year span.