Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:22 am Plus, Pat's is one of the most famous cheesesteak restaurants in Philadelphia. (The Pat's vs Geno's rivalry is a big thing.)
At the risk of going TPH on you, that's pretty meaningless if you've been to Philly all of once and never really left the hotel.

But ... oh, ok, thanks. :)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:26 am
teapot37 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:22 am Plus, Pat's is one of the most famous cheesesteak restaurants in Philadelphia. (The Pat's vs Geno's rivalry is a big thing.)
At the risk of going TPH on you, that's pretty meaningless if you've been to Philly all of once and never really left the hotel.

But ... oh, ok, thanks. :)
You could also be like me and watch The Goldbergs which helps me learn about some Philly area (show is set in Jenkintown) things including an episode all about the cheesesteak debate.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:22 am
Spoiler
Volante wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:18 am
econgator wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:11 am How did 80+% get cheesesteak?
Northeast regional invented sandwich in close proximity to New Jersey.
Cheesesteak was either going to be right or the MCWA.
The question is:
"An Italian-American named Pat Olivieri, who operated a hot dog stand in the 1930s in his hometown at the intersection of Wharton St., South 9th St., and Passyunk Ave., is credited, with his brother Harry, with creating what sandwich?"
Where are you getting "northeast" (fine, that I can give you from Italian-American) and "in close proximity to New Jersey" from?
So...somehow I read the location of my opponent (New Jersey) into the clue...

But even without that, 'Italian-American', '30s', 'hot dog stand' and 'Passyunk' have a northeast vibe...which might be why I so easily assumed New Jersey (again, my opponent's location...) as part of the clue even though there's no logical place to put it.

And even without -that-... name a sandwich invented in the US. I stick by my assessment that cheesesteak was either going to be right or the MCWA.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I have never been to Philadelphia but I have watched enough travel channel-type shows to recognize the name Pat's. I knew that Pat's and Geno's are 2 cheesesteak shops that are located right across the street from each other in Philadelphia. I really want to try at least one of them someday!

But I wasn't expecting that set to play so easy. I got three questions correct, but my opponent drank a beer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:50 pm So...somehow I read the location of my opponent (New Jersey) into the clue...

But even without that, 'Italian-American', '30s', 'hot dog stand' and 'Passyunk' have a northeast vibe...which might be why I so easily assumed New Jersey (again, my opponent's location...) as part of the clue even though there's no logical place to put it.

And even without -that-... name a sandwich invented in the US. I stick by my assessment that cheesesteak was either going to be right or the MCWA.
My answer was a hoagie, which fits the Italian-American part (and even the Philly part) and sub bread looks like a giant hot dog, so I figured maybe that's how they started out.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

The question is:
"An Italian-American named Pat Olivieri, who operated a hot dog stand in the 1930s in his hometown at the intersection of Wharton St., South 9th St., and Passyunk Ave., is credited, with his brother Harry, with creating what sandwich?"

Where are you getting "northeast" (fine, that I can give you from Italian-American) and "in close proximity to New Jersey" from?
Wharton businesses school at University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia- where POTUS claims to have received his degree.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:07 am
triviawayne wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:15 am
Big concentration of the league population is in the northeast?
Not that high. And it's not like the streets named were the ones you think of when you think of Philly.
I've been to Philadelphia twice and, obligatorily, to Pat's once. Might add South St to Passyunk for the other street that makes me think of Philly. (South St from the 1960s song and Passyunk as an odd name etched into memory.) Once I read "Pat", "hot dog" and "Passyunk", I knew the answer without going further. (Kinda surprised that cheesesteak was accepted without the Philly modifier, but OK.) I had a roommate in graduate school (in L.A.) from the Philly area who was always talking about Philly cheesesteak with cheese whiz; he was so excited when a so-called cheesesteak place opened up in town. Not sure that it lasted all that long.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Pat and Wharton were definitely the things that stood out for me in that clue (have been to Philly once, but didn't eat a cheesesteak).
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

The question is:

The Wharton School of Business is at Penn, which might be a small clue.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

The question is:

I missed the Wharton tip, but I thought I'd heard of Passyunk in the NE corridor, probably Jersey, but close enough. The emphasis on naming 3 streets made me think it had to be a place name and a sandwich. Reuben, Hoagie, Hero, Poor Boy don't make the cut. Place names I've only got Chicago Dog and Philly Cheesesteak. I think I know MonteCristo is something else.

This was a pretty Baby Boomer friendly set of clues, I only missed the art question. It amazes me how Thorsten finds clues like the theta one - who knew that would make a trivia clue? A freebie for math people, and maybe catch a few frat boys as well (and the girls too).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I’ve tried both of those cheesesteak places a few times. One had black & white tile but it’s been a while. Passyunk is around the stadium area. I hope none of that’s burning tonight!

Either J! or MasterMinds had a Marc Chagall question recently. I’m pretty good with European & American art.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:19 pm The Wharton School of Business is at Penn, which might be a small clue.
True, although the street is about 2 or 3 miles from the school, I assume they're named after the same person/family.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

I almost put down "Chicago dog", then reread and went "Passyunk sounds like a NJ or PA thing... Pennsylvania sandwich? Philly cheesesteak!" Took a lucky W to close out the week; thankfully my opponent from Leeds hadn't heard of The Partridge Family.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I could think of exactly one famous "american" sandwich. Cheesesteak it is. Wharton sounded like something from that area too.

also, A Taiga is tearing me a new one this year. In my familiar relegation spot, waiting to go back to B. Is there a word for those of us that alternate rundles almost every season?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mennoknight wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:31 am A Taiga is tearing me a new one this year. In my familiar relegation spot, waiting to go back to B. Is there a word for those of us that alternate rundles almost every season?
Yoyos (I'm just making that up)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

alietr wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:24 am
mennoknight wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:31 am A Taiga is tearing me a new one this year. In my familiar relegation spot, waiting to go back to B. Is there a word for those of us that alternate rundles almost every season?
Yoyos (I'm just making that up)
I've seen that term used in baseball for a player constantly shuttling between the major league and the minors. Specifically Bobby Brown, a part-time (obviously) outfielder with the New York Yankees circa 1980. He was also called a "AAAA player".

According to Wikipedia, he is best remembered for attacking the San Francisco Giants' "immensely unpopular mascot, Crazy Crab" while later playing for the Padres, knocking the crab out of action for a couple of games. The crab sued and eventually collected $2000, which seems to me a rather quaint figure. I don't remember this incident, but I can recall Lou PIniella throwing his glove at the San Diego Chicken, apparently a harbinger of trouble ahead.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

.... opposed to Dr. Bobby Brown, also a Yankee, who was president of the American League, and with whom I had worked many years ago.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

45% for Jojo whoever the hell that is, and only 79% for Cheers?!?
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:22 am 45% for Jojo whoever the hell that is, and only 79% for Cheers?!?
I have a 8 year old daughter. That question could not have been easier.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mennoknight wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:25 am
alietr wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:22 am 45% for Jojo whoever the hell that is, and only 79% for Cheers?!?
I have a 8 year old daughter. That question could not have been easier.
JoJo Siwa was on Lip Sync Battle Shorties, this season of The Masked Singer, and now is part of Celebrity Watch Party. C'mon, those are your kind of shows, right? :)