Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by classicroadster »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:28 am
mennoknight wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:25 am
alietr wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:22 am 45% for Jojo whoever the hell that is, and only 79% for Cheers?!?
I have a 8 year old daughter. That question could not have been easier.
JoJo Siwa was on Lip Sync Battle Shorties, this season of The Masked Singer, and now is part of Celebrity Watch Party. C'mon, those are your kind of shows, right? :)
I have 12 and 15 yo daughters...I didn't know it, but when I asked them after I submitted they immediately blurted out JoJo!
My opponent has a 36% CA in TV and Classical Music. Cheers? Easy, 1 point. Whatever the hell waltz-like dance thing? Easy, 3 points. Well that added up to a 4(4)-5(3) loss where they got mazurka and missed Cheers. Argh....
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:42 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:28 am
mennoknight wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:25 am
alietr wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:22 am 45% for Jojo whoever the hell that is, and only 79% for Cheers?!?
I have a 8 year old daughter. That question could not have been easier.
JoJo Siwa was on Lip Sync Battle Shorties, this season of The Masked Singer, and now is part of Celebrity Watch Party. C'mon, those are your kind of shows, right? :)
I have 12 and 15 yo daughters...I didn't know it, but when I asked them after I submitted they immediately blurted out JoJo!
My daughter's not into her (we don't have cable and she doesn't browse youtube), but I worked at Target for a summer job the past 2 years and they sold lots of bright clothes with her name and face on them. The colors of one of the dresses is still imprinted on my brain.

Glad I moved to the right time period on Cheers, since I originally was thinking something with Paul Revere. Ended up not mattering, since I lost anyway.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Yeah, I still couldn't tell you who any of those JoJo's are.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

In the before times, I used to walk laps around Walmart when the weather was inclement. There were a few weeks this winter when my path took me by a display of some item (I didn't notice what it was) with the name Jojo Siwa prominently displayed. I had no idea what a Jojo Siwa was, though I eventually googled it. Anyway, that's the one and only reason I got that question (playing from the sidelines).

Both questions 2 and 5 had more people respond with the MCWA than with the correct answer. I know this happens occasionally, but it seems unusual to have it happen twice in the same set, doesn't it?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:10 pm
Both questions 2 and 5 had more people respond with the MCWA than with the correct answer. I know this happens occasionally, but it seems unusual to have it happen twice in the same set, doesn't it?
And question 4 only narrowly failed to join them. I was torn between Cambodia and Laos, but went with my first answer. It was a headscratcher when I saw that people thought Congress prohibited ground troops in Vietnam (and it would have required a North or South), but I guess they were just grasping at straws on that one.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:33 pm ... I was torn between Cambodia and Laos, but went with my first answer. It was a headscratcher when I saw that people thought Congress prohibited ground troops in Vietnam (and it would have required a North or South), but I guess they were just grasping at straws on that one.
A question that clearly separated the olduns from the younguns.

I was torn between Cambodia and Laos too, but went with Cambodia, as Nixon's earlier foray into Cambodia is what precipitated the Congressional action.

ETA: I already have 5 ties this season in 8 matches. (Actually 7, as one of the matches was a forfeit.) In the previous two seasons combined, I had a total of 5 ties. :roll:
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Back in the 80s, every kid knew about Leave it to Beaver, a 30 year old show, because there weren't as many channels and no streaming. There also wasn't too much in the way of cheaper alternatives to reruns of older shows like there is today. Back then, a 30 year old show was accessible.

Try and find a Cheers rerun today; yes it's out there somewhere, but not everyone gets whatever channel it's on. Although I'm sure it's on Hulu or Netflix, that doesn't mean kids today are watching it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:54 pm Try and find a Cheers rerun today; yes it's out there somewhere, but not everyone gets whatever channel it's on. Although I'm sure it's on Hulu or Netflix, that doesn't mean kids today are watching it.
NetFlix until June 30th.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:22 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:54 pm Try and find a Cheers rerun today; yes it's out there somewhere, but not everyone gets whatever channel it's on. Although I'm sure it's on Hulu or Netflix, that doesn't mean kids today are watching it.
NetFlix until June 30th.
Also on NBC's new streaming service Peacock.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I've meant to post here about this season but keep forgetting about it, so I'll post it all now.

Day 1: I had to face (in Laguna B) a friend of mine that I had referred into the league last season. She's a former Kids' Week Champion and it was unfortunate that we played each other this game because 1) we have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses and 2) we are both from the Washington, D.C. area and, while she isn't good at sports questions, I knew she would get Ovechkin. She beat me because I gave her three on the science question, which she got. My wife and I went to London in 2018, which is how I knew Westminster.

Day 6: I picked up a nice 3 on the Art question. At the Jewish Summer Camp I attended, the campers made Chagall-style windows for the dining hall, so Marc was the only guess I had.

Day 7: I also got the cheesesteak question because of the mention of Wharton in the clue, which led me to Philadelphia.

Day 8: I was utterly destroyed 9(6)-0(1) for my worst loss ever in LL. I only got the "Cheers" question right (and not because, by a great coincidence, I later that day found a brochure from the Bull and Finch when I was cleaning out mementos in my cellar). I thought Cambodia, but went with Laos, because I knew that the Cambodian incursion started on April 30, 1970 and figured that a Congressional resolution on Cambodia would have been passed way before December 1970. Also, the quote from the legislation included the word "introduction" of U.S. troops, which made me think that they hadn't been there yet and that a resolution involving Laos would be a prophylactic measure.

So far I am 3-5 and heading towards relegation.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:17 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:22 pm
NetFlix until June 30th.
Also on NBC's new streaming service Peacock.
Do either of you believe the percentage of viewers under 35 is above single digits?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I won, but picking action painting over abstract expressionism cost me a beer. I should have paid closer attention to the wording and realized that the more formal sounding term fit better.
classicroadster

RandyG wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:27 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:33 pm ... I was torn between Cambodia and Laos, but went with my first answer. It was a headscratcher when I saw that people thought Congress prohibited ground troops in Vietnam (and it would have required a North or South), but I guess they were just grasping at straws on that one.
A question that clearly separated the olduns from the younguns.

I was torn between Cambodia and Laos too, but went with Cambodia, as Nixon's earlier foray into Cambodia is what precipitated the Congressional action.
I got the coin flip correct and went with Cambodia, but looking it up after the fact there was quite a bit of fighting in Cambodia between the US/S. Vietnamese and the VC who were somewhat hiding out there. There was a governmental change in Cambodia with the US supported new president installed in late 1970 which seemed to lead to the resolution. But, the resolution also sounded like it applied to Laos as well so I wasn't sure if either one would be accepted. My US History classes never made it to the 1970s so this is all sort of a blind spot for me, but I knew it wasn't Vietnam as the conflict ended in 1972 (I think)...
Beat the first place person in my rundle yesterday 4(4) - 1(2) getting all except the caliphate (never heard of either one) and getting the art half right with just expressionism. Nice to have 2 sports questions as the Costa Rican Mens National Soccer Team is referred to as the Ticos making that an instaget.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A little bit of knowledge did me wrong on the tico/a question: had I nothing to go on but the names of Latin American countries, I probably would have picked the one that had the letters T, I, C, and A in it in that order; however, I know a good handful or two of Spanish demonyms, and the last two syllables of guatemalteco/a were close enough to "tico/a" to make Guatemala a more attractive answer in my mind.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was actually on the right track with my answer of "Nene." :)

I lost yesterday 5(4)-9(5). The only one my opponent missed was "Georgia on my Mind" and I thought that was the clear zero yesterday. I missed the Persian caliphate and Costa Rica. I answered El Salvador for that one.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I'm still in first place and haven't lost yet. I have more correct answers so far than the GOAT. 2020 keeps getting crazier and crazier.
Hoping for a third lap
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 am A little bit of knowledge did me wrong on the tico/a question: had I nothing to go on but the names of Latin American countries, I probably would have picked the one that had the letters T, I, C, and A in it in that order; however, I know a good handful or two of Spanish demonyms, and the last two syllables of guatemalteco/a were close enough to "tico/a" to make Guatemala a more attractive answer in my mind.
My first thought was to look for a Latin American country whose name ended in -tic(a). Coming up blank on that, I fell back on Costa Rica for no better reason than thinking that it sounded a bit alike. Knowing that Puerto Rico residents call themselves Puertoriqueños (and -as) didn’t fill me with much confidence.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yesterday was my first 0(0) since LL82. I thought of Judas Priest for the band and knew that it was a group that Beavis and Butt-Head liked, but I seemed to remember that there was a question on Judas Priest not too long ago and guessed Iron Maiden.

I had heard the term median lethal dose when talking about the potency of the venom of certain animals, but I never thought of it for that question. I had definitely heard of Oh! Calcutta! as well, but was never going to get there.
classicroadster

StevenH wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:16 am Yesterday was my first 0(0) since LL82. I thought of Judas Priest for the band and knew that it was a group that Beavis and Butt-Head liked, but I seemed to remember that there was a question on Judas Priest not too long ago and guessed Iron Maiden.
Its my 12th season in LL, and for whatever reason I feel like there have been a ton of repeated questions this season, something like 6 in 10 match days. I remember guessing Maiden the last time British Steel was asked about and the correct answer being Preist so that was a no brainer. I did end up losing 4(4)-5(4) due to my opponent, who has never answered a soccer question correctly, getting emirates and me giving it a 2 and the I thought easier candy question a 1 which he missed. We both missed Calcutta and I got only half of the LD50 correct not catching the characters/letter distinction.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Calcutta was not quite a wild guess, but I was definitely surprised to see it was right. After ruling out Saigon for its respective show being much later than 1976, I had Oh! Calcutta! as my only recourse, but I doubted from what little I thought I might know of it that it would have run for over a decade or already be a revival in '76. I wasn't even sure it was a musical (though knowing from Norm MacDonald's Millionaire appearance that John Lennon had something to do with it gave me some misplaced confidence)! All that for 4(4)-4(4) ties in public and private (though I must say I always take satisfaction in a perfectly defended tie).