Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by MarkBarrett »

Apologies to ouachiouat for taking an ugly 3(2)-2(2) victory. Thank you for the 0 on Necco as that was indeed the easiest of the 6 for me as I even have a post about Necco in 2018 current events. Druids for 3 surprised me although I get it with Theatre and Sports I missed looking like sports for lower defense numbers.

I spent 10-15 minutes on the musical question trying to find a match in the U.S. Everything was a strike out and I even went through sports leagues team by team for inspiration. After that waste of time it hit me that it could be international. Country by country as best I could I visited each continent.

Miss Saigon was out for years, but I kept trying because I felt certain I would know a title if I figured out the city. By the time I felt map exhausted I had nothing better than Camelot. When I made the leap from there to Brigadoon I threw in the towel. At no point did India (or at least five other places in that area occur to me) as my lack of geography skills had me miss a huge hunk of Asia.

If it had then I would have made the connection to the musical in a snap to know that was a city that fit the question.

So many times a bad change costs me a game. It's strange how in today's case going from lethal dose to fatal does did not make a difference.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:24 am Miss Saigon was out for years, but I kept trying because I felt certain I would know a title if I figured out the city. By the time I felt map exhausted I had nothing better than Camelot. When I made the leap from there to Brigadoon I threw in the towel. At no point did India (or at least five other places in that area occur to me) as my lack of geography skills had me miss a huge hunk of Asia.
I got pretty lucky on that one because I thought of cities in India and remembered "Oh! Calcutta!" was a musical. My other thought was "Pirates of Penzance" but Penzance didn't really seem like something Thorsten would have called a 'city.'
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:24 am
StevenH wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:16 am Yesterday was my first 0(0) since LL82. I thought of Judas Priest for the band and knew that it was a group that Beavis and Butt-Head liked, but I seemed to remember that there was a question on Judas Priest not too long ago and guessed Iron Maiden.
Its my 12th season in LL, and for whatever reason I feel like there have been a ton of repeated questions this season, something like 6 in 10 match days. I remember guessing Maiden the last time British Steel was asked about and the correct answer being Preist so that was a no brainer. I did end up losing 4(4)-5(4) due to my opponent, who has never answered a soccer question correctly, getting emirates and me giving it a 2 and the I thought easier candy question a 1 which he missed. We both missed Calcutta and I got only half of the LD50 correct not catching the characters/letter distinction.
Yes! I recognize all the questions I got wrong the first time, but I’m still getting them wrong on the repeat :/
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For Q1 I said “A really bad Kosmin Koin flip”.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:04 pm For Q1 I said “A really bad Kosmin Koin flip”.
Is there a good Koin flip?
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

First time in a while that every answer I gave was a guess, and hit on two: Druids and hearts. I couldn't have told you beforehand was a Druid was, but the location and time frame fit.

75% for Emirates? I know next to nothing about soccer, but is this sponsorship really that well known in general and not just among soccer fans? (I guess it is :shock: )

I was matched against someone with a 90% theatre history, so assigning a zero for Calcutta seemed obvious, although I had no idea. Saigon crossed my mind, but a revival from 1976 on was clearly not correct.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I’m surprised hearts didn’t get anywhere near the get rate of cheesesteak
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:24 am Apologies to ouachiouat for taking an ugly 3(2)-2(2) victory. Thank you for the 0 on Necco as that was indeed the easiest of the 6 for me as I even have a post about Necco in 2018 current events. Druids for 3 surprised me although I get it with Theatre and Sports I missed looking like sports for lower defense numbers.

I spent 10-15 minutes on the musical question trying to find a match in the U.S. Everything was a strike out and I even went through sports leagues team by team for inspiration. After that waste of time it hit me that it could be international. Country by country as best I could I visited each continent.

Miss Saigon was out for years, but I kept trying because I felt certain I would know a title if I figured out the city. By the time I felt map exhausted I had nothing better than Camelot. When I made the leap from there to Brigadoon I threw in the towel. At no point did India (or at least five other places in that area occur to me) as my lack of geography skills had me miss a huge hunk of Asia.

If it had then I would have made the connection to the musical in a snap to know that was a city that fit the question.

So many times a bad change costs me a game. It's strange how in today's case going from lethal dose to fatal does did not make a difference.
No apologies needed for me playing poor defense! Good win, even if it was ugly for both of us.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I know nothing about soccer, but I do know that Emirates appears as the sponsor for practically every international sporting event I watch (tennis and golf). I was surprised that I got a two for that one because my record in sports questions is pretty good and my opponent would not have known that I know nothing about soccer (although this really was not a sports question). Even more surprising was getting a two for the theater question, which is my second best category, even though "Oh, Calcutta!" took some thought (why was it so popular? Could it be. . . the nudity?) Despite the surprising defensive decisions of my opponent, I still only got a 5(4)-5(4) tie because my opponent, who is usually bad in theater, got that question (Why? Could it be. . . the nudity? Just kidding.)

I was second from the bottom in my rundle at 3-6-1 (not counting the player who has forfeited every game), when I shockingly crushed the first place player 7(4)-2(3) yesterday. I may not be great in science questions, but I do know my books of the bible and remember making the Ester/Esther connection in Chemistry class (glad that I remembered something). Nice three point get there. Got a gift two on Shaft.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Bad loss yesterday 2(3) - 3(3) when I didn't take enough time to remember that pate does not equal foie gras. I grew up in a french canadian household and the words foie gras were never spoken, only pate, so I consider them interchangeable. Would've been a nice 2 points for the win...
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:25 pm Bad loss yesterday 2(3) - 3(3) when I didn't take enough time to remember that pate does not equal foie gras. I grew up in a french canadian household and the words foie gras were never spoken, only pate, so I consider them interchangeable. Would've been a nice 2 points for the win...
Yes, I feed my cats canned pate, but in my mind I always think of pate and foie gras as being interchangeable too, at least in the context of that question. And also living in CA at the time, I immediately knew exactly where it was going. But I can understand and accept that my "lazy" answer was not correct.

Neg bait, as is often suggested on this board.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

In and out of the pool four times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Great find, Bill.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

RandyG wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:00 pm
classicroadster wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:25 pm Bad loss yesterday 2(3) - 3(3) when I didn't take enough time to remember that pate does not equal foie gras. I grew up in a french canadian household and the words foie gras were never spoken, only pate, so I consider them interchangeable. Would've been a nice 2 points for the win...
Yes, I feed my cats canned pate, but in my mind I always think of pate and foie gras as being interchangeable too, at least in the context of that question. And also living in CA at the time, I immediately knew exactly where it was going. But I can understand and accept that my "lazy" answer was not correct.

Neg bait, as is often suggested on this board.
Plus one for the failure to BMS. I debated the TMI vs. BMS for this question and decided since the question asked for "what product", that pate would qualify. I don't begrudge the commish for holding the line on this one, but most us non-foodies never use the term for liverwurst or braunshwager, or whaterver. At least classicroadster and I would have cancelled each other out if we had our private rundle this season. Of course I would have zeroed it to him and he three'd me because, just because. :roll:

It is karma for me, as I lazily just answered "Georgia" for "Georgia on my Mind", and was given credit for it. Maybe TI felt sorry for me because I'm mired in last place (26/26) in Taiga D div2 in spite of punching way above my weight with a 0.500 QPct. (about 100 points above my potential).

I hope I'm not oversharing, but I introduced my 3 baby boomer sibs to LL as rookies this season and it has been a blast. We are keeping track of singletons and goat horns (when 3 of us get it and one messes up the family sweep). The two oldest played each other today (should I call them onefootgirl and twofoot boy?). I suspect we will all wind up in Taiga E next season.
Assuming they all continue this masochistic endeavor, we'll populate the private rundle next season and welcome any JBoard B-teamers that don't mind slumming it with us hillbillies in E :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I answered Skat, not Euchre, for the card game question.

When I was a kid, my mom bought me a copy of Hoyle's Rules of Games, and I remembered there being a Right Bower and a Left Bower in Skat. Later in life, I took German, and learned that "bauer" is the German word for farmer. And when I had my first real job, a researcher at the University of Michigan, there were three guys who played Skat on their lunch break and tried to explain the rules to me.

Despite living in Michigan for more than 40 years, I never learned how to play Euchre. If Governor Whitmer ever finds out, she'll bar me from ever re-entering the state.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Oxygen? I mean, I get put down something instead of leaving it blank, but .......... oxygen?!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Another 0(0) for me. I originally had India and Pakistan but switched to India and Bangladesh. And I totally misinterpreted the music school question as asking for a particular style, and guessed Baroque.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:09 am Oxygen? I mean, I get put down something instead of leaving it blank, but .......... oxygen?!
I didn’t know what the question was really getting at, saw the NO2 and mistakenly though laughing gas, couldn’t get past that, put Comedy Central.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:34 am
econgator wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:09 am Oxygen? I mean, I get put down something instead of leaving it blank, but .......... oxygen?!
I didn’t know what the question was really getting at, saw the NO2 and mistakenly though laughing gas, couldn’t get past that, put Comedy Central.
The elemental combination meant nothing to me while I was determined to get it through the TV network path. I was mentally going through my onscreen guide and after at least 25 low and 25 higher channels finally had the eureka moment in the middle. It was probably easier for those with chemistry knowledge.

It was a good set for me getting all 6 after guessing on the card game and secretary.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:41 am
triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:34 am
The elemental combination meant nothing to me while I was determined to get it through the TV network path. I was mentally going through my onscreen guide and after at least 25 low and 25 higher channels finally had the eureka moment in the middle. It was probably easier for those with chemistry knowledge.

It was a good set for me getting all 6 after guessing on the card game and secretary.
I had a similar attack, but no luck. Mostly because instead of "TNT" I thought "Turner Network"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)