Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by mrparadise »

This is my 16th season and yesterday was (I'm pretty sure) my first 0(0). Is there a term for this? Goose eggs? Something more clever? Ireland was my first choice but I switched, for no good reason, to Spain (got zero for this anyways). Had no clue on the building but was about to wag barn when I opted for hall, again for no good reason. Barn would have gotten me a very lucky tie.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

This is my 16th season and yesterday was (I'm pretty sure) my first 0(0). Is there a term for this? Goose eggs? Something more clever? Ireland was my first choice but I switched, for no good reason, to Spain (got zero for this anyways). Had no clue on the building but was about to wag barn when I opted for hall, again for no good reason. Barn would have gotten me a very lucky tie.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got 1 right yesterday, tying VeredJ who got 0 right. I should have gotten Ireland, especially in the wake of Wednesday's CATHOLIC NATIONS category on J!. Peabo Bryson was my one get.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:06 pm I got 1 right yesterday, tying VeredJ who got 0 right. I should have gotten Ireland, especially in the wake of Wednesday's CATHOLIC NATIONS category on J!. Peabo Bryson was my one get.
Peabo Bryson is the one name that always comes quickly when considering his genre/era of singers, so why not go with that. Ireland? Sure, as good a guess as any. Barn somehow surfaced from 45-year-old physics memories.

I suspect that my "luck" factor this season is through the roof. Marginally above long-term average correct answer rate, somewhat above average defense, but I've managed to win or tie my last 13 matches. Very weird. And three seasons ago I started off with 10 straight losses. I foresee another 10 match losing streak next season.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:33 am I thought that I had a good guess for the duet singer (Luther Vandross) but Peabo Bryson never even crossed my mind.
I lost the Kosman flip between Bryson and Aaron Neville.

Only got two correct yesterday: Ireland and chanterelle and chanterelle was really just an educated guess.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:43 am PSA: This weekend is the Midseason Classic.
At least one player in LL84 who reads this thread missed the Midseason Classic despite my PSA, so I'm bumping for a little additional bandwidth.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:38 pm
Woof wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:33 am I thought that I had a good guess for the duet singer (Luther Vandross) but Peabo Bryson never even crossed my mind.
I lost the Kosman flip between Bryson and Aaron Neville.

Only got two correct yesterday: Ireland and chanterelle and chanterelle was really just an educated guess.
My singer Koin's wrong side was James Ingram.
I apparently had a three-sided Koin for the mushroom, because I convinced myself the "little" clue meant the name would end in "ini", so I chose between porcini and cremini.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I went with porcini which I doubted was correct but I was surprised at chanterelle. I knew Bryson, Tennessee, and illustrator. I happened to be in ireland during the abortion campaign so that was easy. Thanks for the notice about the mid-season classic. I usually forget that!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

mrparadise wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:26 pm This is my 16th season and yesterday was (I'm pretty sure) my first 0(0). Is there a term for this? Goose eggs? Something more clever? Ireland was my first choice but I switched, for no good reason, to Spain (got zero for this anyways). Had no clue on the building but was about to wag barn when I opted for hall, again for no good reason. Barn would have gotten me a very lucky tie.
How about calling it a "Jim Otto", after the Hall of Fame center who wore number 00?

https://www.raiders.com/news/100-days-o ... 0-12431229
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm pretty shocked to have placed third overall in the midseason classic! Got 11 right, only missing confit. Somehow I managed to money the five most difficult questions. The last one to come to me was Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I knew many of the names so knew it had something to do with music, but at first thought it must be some kind of charitable foundation and couldn't think of what it might be. Finally I realized I might just be overthinking it. The actual Rock and Roll HoF was built sometime in the '90s, so it made sense the foundation formed some time before the actual building opened.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:28 pm I'm pretty shocked to have placed third overall in the midseason classic! Got 11 right, only missing confit. Somehow I managed to money the five most difficult questions. The last one to come to me was Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I knew many of the names so knew it had something to do with music, but at first thought it must be some kind of charitable foundation and couldn't think of what it might be. Finally I realized I might just be overthinking it. The actual Rock and Roll HoF was built sometime in the '90s, so it made sense the foundation formed some time before the actual building opened.
I didn't get it, but after I saw the names, Jan Wenner certainly should have done it for me.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I recognized Ahmet Ertegun and Jann Wenner, but I convinced myself it was something to do with an AIDS charity.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:56 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:28 pm I'm pretty shocked to have placed third overall in the midseason classic! Got 11 right, only missing confit. Somehow I managed to money the five most difficult questions. The last one to come to me was Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I knew many of the names so knew it had something to do with music, but at first thought it must be some kind of charitable foundation and couldn't think of what it might be. Finally I realized I might just be overthinking it. The actual Rock and Roll HoF was built sometime in the '90s, so it made sense the foundation formed some time before the actual building opened.
I didn't get it, but after I saw the names, Jan Wenner certainly should have done it for me.
I missed this one badly, including moneying it. I saw "Bob Krasnow" and it seemed familiar. I misidentified him as "Larry Kramer", who died a couple of weeks ago. Larry Kramer was one of the founders of Act Up, the AIDS activist group, and 1983 sure seemed like the right timeline for that. (It turns out, ACT Up wasn't founded until 1987, so I was doubly, or triply wrong there).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:14 pm I recognized Ahmet Ertegun and Jann Wenner, but I convinced myself it was something to do with an AIDS charity.
I recognized Ertegun and Stein as record company moguls, and Wenner from Rolling Stone. AIDS and the Ethiopian famine were the two things that came to mind for me initially.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:32 pm
teapot37 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:14 pm I recognized Ahmet Ertegun and Jann Wenner, but I convinced myself it was something to do with an AIDS charity.
I recognized Ertegun and Stein as record company moguls, and Wenner from Rolling Stone. AIDS and the Ethiopian famine were the two things that came to mind for me initially.
Recognized Ertegun and Wenner, but HOF didn't come to mind, so I guessed (knowing it was wrong) We Are The World.

Worst mid-season performance ever, both in points and correct answers. But, oh well... my math background tells me that a finite set of points will have a distinct minimum value. Voila!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

RandyG wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:53 pm
Recognized Ertegun and Wenner, but HOF didn't come to mind, so I guessed (knowing it was wrong) We Are The World.

Worst mid-season performance ever, both in points and correct answers. But, oh well... my math background tells me that a finite set of points will have a distinct minimum value. Voila!
I guessed (knowing it was wrong) USA for Africa. My 7R for 328 was enough for 5th in Prairie C to count. #12 water was easy for me since I read the Gruen book and was in "my" (seen many dozens of films from the exact same seat) chair at the movie theater on opening performance.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:07 pm
RandyG wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:53 pm

I guessed (knowing it was wrong) USA for Africa. My 7R for 328 was enough for 5th in Prairie C to count. #12 water was easy for me since I read the Gruen book and was in "my" (seen many dozens of films from the exact same seat) chair at the movie theater on opening performance.
Yay! Top 5! I'm expecting to see you back in Prairie B next season.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I badly misjudged the difficulty of 2 and -2 and failed to money either. Had I done so, I would have been 98th %ile. WTG, Kirk!
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 pm ...WTG, Kirk!
+1
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And if you thought Friday played hard ... someone must have pissed Thorsten off, because the average get rate Monday was a whopping 26%. I track some really good players, and there wasn't a single 9(6) among them.