Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by teapot37 »

Describing the film as a "psychological thriller" led me completely away from the right answer. (I would have described it as a "nihilistic garbage fire", but that's just me.) I also had no idea it had made quite that much money.

I also put the RAND Corporation instead of Ford.

Film is normally my best category so I was defended with a 0 there, and my opponent gave me a 1 for Ford, so I ended up winning yesterday 8(4)-6(5). Perfect defense vs perfectly imperfect defense!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Describing the film as a "psychological thriller" led me completely away from the right answer. (I would have described it as a "nihilistic garbage fire", but that's just me.) I also had no idea it had made quite that much money.
Joker stopped me from having a perfect day, I knew it had made the most as an R rated movie in the past, I just forgot that fact in the moment. I don't think "psychological thriller" is a great description either.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Another not great day for me. Read through the questions, knew none for sure. Ended up getting Joker and Liberia only. The whiz kids one briefly I though of Ford but stuck with the Army Air Force side and went with Boeing although the whole McNamara/Sec of Def thing did make me think of military related contractors. All of it really didn't matter as my opponent with his .700+ WH and Bus/Econ missed Circus Maximus and Ford so I got crushed 1(2) - 8(4)...ouch. Getting close to the relegation zone after losing 3 of 4 matches.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yeah, regression to the mean here. 3 straight days of tough questions and lousy defense translate to 3 straight losses. Went for the RAND and Parasite negbait yesterday to continue my streak of mediocrity.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I somehow have 4 straight wins during this stretch of tough questions, but yesterday was a little bit better for me as I had 4 correct. And I had Ford under consideration, and AARP was a forehead slapper.

I still haven't gotten around to watching Joker, but I am another one who was thrown by "controversial" and "psychological thriller." But it was the only film that I could think of that seemed like a plausible guess.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:02 am Describing the film as a "psychological thriller" led me completely away from the right answer. (I would have described it as a "nihilistic garbage fire", but that's just me.) I also had no idea it had made quite that much money.
I literally just watched the movie this weekend ... and still missed it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:49 am A very satisfying 5(3)-4(4) victory.

I used to work for a company that had 5 of the Whiz Kids. Of course, they weren't the ones who went to Ford, so I couldn't pull that one. I remembered that after I saw the answer. But yeah, I should have gotten that one.
Ford was my first instinct and then I figured GM made more sense. Cost me the win since that was the only one I missed and my opponent got a six-pack.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:49 am A very satisfying 5(3)-4(4) victory.

I used to work for a company that had 5 of the Whiz Kids. Of course, they weren't the ones who went to Ford, so I couldn't pull that one. I remembered that after I saw the answer. But yeah, I should have gotten that one.
Ford was my first instinct and then I figured GM made more sense. Cost me the win since that was the only one I missed and my opponent got a six-pack.
I lived in Michigan for nearly 45 years, and Ford was one of our company's clients. If I missed the Whiz Kids question, the state wouldn't let me back in.

Edited to add: McNamara, who became disillusioned with the Vietnam War, resigned as Secretary of Defense in 1968 (some believe LBJ pushed him out) and became president of the World Bank. Some political satirist sang a parody that began, "My name is McNamara and I'm the leader of the bank..."
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Once I learned of it many many years ago, I've always remembered that McNamara was the management force behind development of the Ford Falcon, a nascent major entry into smaller versions of American family cars, beginning around 1960.

And today, that would be considered a standard-sized sedan!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Horrible defense in my match yesterday, a 6(4)-6(4) tie. My opponent had a poor Classical Music and Theater Q% but got Britten and tech, while missing Snoop/Martha and pigeon. Thanks to having kids I got pigeon and tech (I prefer the elephant and piggie books and they are dancers so I'm familiar with tech night before their recitals) and I didn't forget Fermat from a few years ago. I knew Snoop/Martha as well and missed rum rebellion (I went with Rye) and Britten. Hanging on to my non-relegation spot although its getting close...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I have now answered fewer questions correctly than my opponent in four out of my last five matches. My record during this streak is 2-0-3.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Was anybody else distracted by this:

This "Rebellion" is known by what alliterative name, which it was given ...

I wanted to answer Rum Rebellion, but since "Rebellion" was in the clue, I answered Rum Revolution (and got credit for a correct answer). I assume just "Rum" would have sufficed. Is this the Jeopardy rule for quotation marks are part of the answer? I checked league rules and there is no mention of this convention.

It's the first time I recall in my 5th season that a word in the answer has been in the clue. I will file it in the vault for future reference. And it will never happen again :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:48 pm Was anybody else distracted by this:

I wanted to answer Rum Rebellion, but since "Rebellion" was in the clue, I answered Rum Revolution (and got credit for a correct answer). I assume just "Rum" would have sufficed. Is this the Jeopardy rule for quotation marks are part of the answer? I checked league rules and there is no mention of this convention.

It's the first time I recall in my 5th season that a word in the answer has been in the clue. I will file it in the vault for future reference. And it will never happen again :).
The fact that "Rebellion" was capitalized and in quotation marks was a strong indication to me that the word, in fact, was expected to be in responses.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:48 pm Was anybody else distracted by this:

You've already forgotten "Heavy water" from a few seasons ago, eh? I got burned on that one.

I put just Rum and it was accepted. It was a guess, based on "alliterative" plus "teetotaler".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Was anyone else helped on the sial question by having seen the sima clue in the Ryan Fenster rerun on Thursday?

I got my second 9(6) in a row, much needed to stave off relegation. This one felt far less precarious than yesterday's, in which I had three guesses turn out correct (against JenningsK, who missed two). This time only the Fiji question felt at all tough, but my awareness of Vijay Singh was enough to put me on the right track.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 am Was anyone else helped on the sial question by having seen the sima clue in the Ryan Fenster rerun on Thursday?

I got my second 9(6) in a row, much needed to stave off relegation. This one felt far less precarious than yesterday's, in which I had three guesses turn out correct (against JenningsK, who missed two). This time only the Fiji question felt at all tough, but my awareness of Vijay Singh was enough to put me on the right track.
I was not helped by noticing "Si" and "Al", because I didn't, until afterward. At the time, I guessed it might be the Gaelic spelling of "shale". I got it mainly from knowing both were common subterranean elements, and I discounted iron because I knew iron was very big in either the mantle or the core.

I also owe thanks to Vijay SIngh, though I might have guessed India anyway because "Suva" is almost "Siva".
I'm smart and I want respect.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Count me as another one who was helped by the existence of Vijay Singh in getting the India question.

I got my first tie of the season--4(3)-4(3). Giving my opponent a 3 for "ollie" was a bad call.

I came up with "beach sunrise" for the potent potable clue. I thought that I had a decent shot!

I am currently 15th of 22 in my rundle. Hopefully I will hang on in C!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 am Was anyone else helped on the sial question by having seen the sima clue in the Ryan Fenster rerun on Thursday?
Absolutely, although I'd hope I would have sussed it out anyway.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I noticed "sial" only after I had already decided that aluminum/silicon was the most likely answer; all other consecutive pairs seemed like non-starters. Helped to know the first 20 elements in order, though I keep stalling on finding a mnemonic for the next 20.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

First 9(6) for me after a brutal streak of 1's and 2's. Vijay Singh was the only reason I was able to pull of the Fiji question as well. Other 5 questions were pretty straightforward.