Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:49 am Olympic group 71 is tough. Through 3 days, 4 players with 15 or more TCA and a poor guy who is 0-3 with 14 TCA and 17 CAA. I'm in first with 15 but should really be 17 as I sped through questions on day 2 and only put fosbury and 1918 instead of 1916 without thinking. First place for now.

Also had my best ever 1DS in perfect games finishing 6th. If I had moneyed the dart question instead of the QB rating I would've won. I feel like those who nailed the QB rating should get extra!
Good luck on MD11.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:49 am Olympic group 71 is tough. Through 3 days, 4 players with 15 or more TCA and a poor guy who is 0-3 with 14 TCA and 17 CAA. I'm in first with 15 but should really be 17 as I sped through questions on day 2 and only put fosbury and 1918 instead of 1916 without thinking. First place for now.

Also had my best ever 1DS in perfect games finishing 6th. If I had moneyed the dart question instead of the QB rating I would've won. I feel like those who nailed the QB rating should get extra!
Congrats on the 6th place finish. I overlooked the Perfect Game 1ds and would have enjoyed it, but would have been lucky to get 5 right to money. It was a very clever concept and quiz.

I'm underachieving in the Olympic quiz, but it is well done so far. I'm hurrying to finish and just didn't want to wrack my brain to get Castor Semenya, or miss it by a syllable somehow after the investment. But no excuse for not RTFQ and naming Mitt Romney instead of Ann :roll: .

I'll make a PSA and shameless plug - the JBoardLite private rundle for LL86 needs another player to even out :). Come and take on the 6th place finisher and Olympic ML leader! (Password is AlexTrebek)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:37 am

Good luck on MD11.
Yup... I saw your flag combined with kelsot and was like uh oh, going to need my a game the entire time. Best of luck to you as well. Hoping MD11 won't matter....
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:37 pm I play very few of the One-Days, but enjoyed this one: https://www.learnedleague.com/oneday.ph ... enofthe80s
There's a new 1DS today that I bet you'd enjoy/you've enjoyed, also.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Would anyone be willing to send me a referral for the Learned League?

I promise not to cheat!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:49 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:37 pm I play very few of the One-Days, but enjoyed this one: https://www.learnedleague.com/oneday.ph ... enofthe80s
Congrats to our own Randy G on his top 20 finish in that One Day.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woof wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:05 pm
Thanks Myron, it was also fun and I'll take 233/1008 (considering I only got 7 of them) and also applaud Randy for doing so well.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Do people study for a one-day or mini-league by researching that topic before the event? I think that's within the rules and I'm curious if people are actually doing that to boost their scores.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:34 am Do people study for a one-day or mini-league by researching that topic before the event?
Some certainly do. I don't play any of them, so I don't.
I think that's within the rules and I'm curious if people are actually doing that to boost their scores.
So long as you haven't seen the questions for that day, it's absolutely within the rules.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:56 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:37 am

Good luck on MD11.
Yup... I saw your flag combined with kelsot and was like uh oh, going to need my a game the entire time. Best of luck to you as well. Hoping MD11 won't matter....
Not going to matter to me at least, as I have managed to completely submarine myself in this ML with a series of poor defensive decisions, over thinking, underthinking, and a hyperactive Koin. I mean, yesterday I lost a 5-way Koin flip with the names I wrote down for Q1 alone: Jordan, Pippen, Malone, Stockton, Barkley. Guess which one I went with...between that and flips between beam and bars, Robinson and Schmelling, and knowing the norwegian curling team wore crazy pants but not knowing what a demonym was, its one of my worst LL days. And don't get me started on the condom question...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I haven't looked in this tread in a couple weeks but had to come in today to say how shocked I was to see only 62% knew Mother's Little Helper in the School of Rock ML!
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:28 am I haven't looked in this tread in a couple weeks but had to come in today to say how shocked I was to see only 62% knew Mother's Little Helper in the School of Rock ML!
Yeah, I gave it a 1, figuring it to be a staple of Classic Rock radio, and my opponent missed it. I also gave a 1 to Mme de Pompadour (WECIB?) and they missed it, too. Yay, defense!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:00 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:28 am I haven't looked in this tread in a couple weeks but had to come in today to say how shocked I was to see only 62% knew Mother's Little Helper in the School of Rock ML!
Yeah, I gave it a 1, figuring it to be a staple of Classic Rock radio, and my opponent missed it. I also gave a 1 to Mme de Pompadour (WECIB?) and they missed it, too. Yay, defense!
I missed that one by thinking the king was Louis XIV rather than XV. Forgot about Pompadour.
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:13 am
Woof wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:00 am
I missed that one by thinking the king was Louis XIV rather than XV. Forgot about Pompadour.
I waffled on 14 vs. 15 for the Louis but knew only one royal mistress so went with her.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:12 pm
Woof wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:05 pm
Thanks Myron, it was also fun and I'll take 233/1008 (considering I only got 7 of them) and also applaud Randy for doing so well.
Thx. (Of course TomK finished higher. So what else is new?)

An aside.... when the smith (BurteL) announced the 1960s TV Comedy 1DS on the LL message board months earlier, I made a comment there that I knew what one of the questions would be, which intrigued him at the time. I posted a time-stamped version of the question on my Google Drive, which I planned to make public once the quiz had run. BurteL evidently was intrigued, since he asked me about it after he finalized and posted the quiz. Alas, my question, or something similar, did not appear. But here it is, for those interested:

During the second half of the 1966-1967 prime-time television season, two shows -- one on NBC, the other on CBS, and coincidentally airing on the same nights, although not against each other -- featured regular nerdy guys, played by William Daniels and Stephen Strimpell, who could acquire superhero powers. Name both shows (in any order).

Give it a go in spoilers.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

bluejaylink wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:53 pm Would anyone be willing to send me a referral for the Learned League?

I promise not to cheat!
I've sent you a PM, but it is still in my outbox, which I think just means you haven't logged in. But just in case it's my fecklessness, I'm threading here, which should be enough feck to get the job done. Oh, and no forfeiting either :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

RandyG wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:26 pm During the second half of the 1966-1967 prime-time television season, two shows -- one on NBC, the other on CBS, and coincidentally airing on the same nights, although not against each other -- featured regular nerdy guys, played by William Daniels and Stephen Strimpell, who could acquire superhero powers. Name both shows (in any order).

Give it a go in spoilers.
Spoiler
"Captain Nice" and "Mr. Terrific." (I've seen at least one episode of the former, which I think aired on Nick at Nite for a time, but not the latter.)
Edited to add: If Wikipedia is to be believed, I would have seen it on CTV/Comedy Central after the merger (my cable system only carried The Comedy Channel, not Ha!).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Another classic rocker with Ramble On yesterday, but for some reason 82% got that one. I suppose with that one you could have gotten it without having ever heard the song, but still I don't understand how Mother's Little Helper played so hard. What a drag!

I made it to the final with a second place finish in my group!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I can honestly say that while I have heard of "Mother's Little Helper", I'm pretty sure I've never actually heard it played on the radio. (It has been a while since I listened to classic rock radio, though.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:20 pm Another classic rocker with Ramble On yesterday, but for some reason 82% got that one. I suppose with that one you could have gotten it without having ever heard the song, but still I don't understand how Mother's Little Helper played so hard. What a drag!
It is getting old...
Total game show career losings = $171,522