Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by alietr »

Article in The Ringer about LL:

https://www.theringer.com/2020/5/20/212 ... -w-s3hiRPs

And yes, Kirk, you wuz robbed.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

That douchey writer might look down on Mick Mulvaney’s C Rundle performance but MM is usually midway in his rundle. And the writer has spent 15 of 17 seasons in C rundles so he shouldn’t look down on anyone. Anyway, new season begins today!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:24 pm Good luck, everyone! I've been looking forward to the new season.

I'm still a little miffed about the Ducks One-Day last week. Although I finished in 34th place, I should have been third. I was counted wrong on one of the questions that I actually got right. I did send a message to Thorsten, but he never corrected the scoring error. :evil:

The question was:
As tight end Kyle Rudolph found out when he played the game in a touchdown celebration, only 49 out of 50 states call their circular tagging/callout game "Duck Duck Goose". What's different about Minnesota's version? The Swedes have two names for the game, and the Minnesotan one comes from the name "Anka Anka Grå Anka".

These answers were accepted:
Spoiler
DUCK DUCK GREY DUCK, GREY DUCK
and I put:
Spoiler
goose replaced by grey duck
which actually seems technically more correct to me.
Yeah when first seeing it I was a bit confused and upon seeing the listed answer, was truly baffled that this question made it through testing and was published in this form. It clearly intended to ask what they call the game but asking "What's different"?" is a very different question that leaves it open a wide range of word choices.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Seems like Thorsten doesn't really care too much about the One-Days, which I understand, but somewhat frustrating all the same.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

There's a new interstitial video, to watch while the database is updated with the day's results:
Spoiler
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I'm in D rundle and people are getting 9(6)-9(6) ties. Really?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:11 am I'm in D rundle and people are getting 9(6)-9(6) ties. Really?
There was a pretty high get rate overall yesterday so that isn’t too surprising. I tied 6(5)-6(5) in D, with both of us missing Westminister. I guessed Yorkshire and I might have gotten it right if I had thought about it some more.

My rundle had two beers. The only other tie was 7(5)-7(4).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:02 am There's a new interstitial video, to watch while the database is updated with the day's results:
Spoiler
Maybe it's an East Coast thing, or my early bedtime, but what are you talking about?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:42 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:02 am There's a new interstitial video, to watch while the database is updated with the day's results:
Spoiler
Maybe it's an East Coast thing, or my early bedtime, but what are you talking about?
The site used to have issues with people compulsively refreshing the site around the time the day's results and the next day's questions would appear. Apparently it interfered somewhat with Thorsten's database updating, so a little while back he implemented a "pause" to the site: instead of the page you were trying to load, it redirects you to a page with a message and an embedded YouTube video to watch while you wait.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

My opponent yesterday (from Ireland) gave me (a Canadian) 3 points on the hockey question. It wouldn't have made any difference to the overall result, but I just thought it funny that given what this country is known for, they might have defended differently.

ETA: I picked Ovechkin, FWIW. I remember the hoopla surrounding him getting to the 700 mark shortly before the Before Time ended.
Last edited by NoWhammies10 on Thu May 21, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I took a 1 point loss yesterday. I had an outside shot at drinking a beer, but I switched from Hull to Orr (I know very little about hockey) and considered Westminster but went with Piccadilly. I know that it was a pretty easy set but I am surprised that Westminster didn't play easier, as I thought that there would probably be a lot of LLamas who have traveled to (and live in or near) London.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

StevenH wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:02 am I am surprised that Westminster didn't play easier, as I thought that there would probably be a lot of LLamas who have traveled to (and live in or near) London.
When I saw the question, I'm like, "I didn't even know London had boroughs" despite having visited there for one day. When I saw the answer, it was a big facepalm. (I guessed Leiscester, because that's a thing, right?)

Spent too much time going back and forth between Ovechkin and Jagr. I swore Ovechkin just passed the 700 goal mark, but Jagr has been playing forever and at a very high level. Turns out it didn't matter.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

When you spell it Ovechin and aren't 100% confident the spelling will take...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Nice to have an easy match day to kick things off and grateful that my opponent missed the hockey question!
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Switched from Hull to Selanne on the 700 goals hockey Q. Selanne had 684. :x
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

When you consider Espo, Orr, Hull and Ovechkin and then go with... Fedorov.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Woof wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:52 pm When you consider Espo, Orr, Hull and Ovechkin and then go with... Fedorov.
My list to consider was: Hull, Espo, Dionne, Ovechkin, Jagr, Kurri, Lafleur, Andreychuck, Modano....had Hull typed in the box for a long time and changed last minute to Lafleur...which was super dumb as I was pretty sure Jagr was #3 now and that Dionne was #3 when he retired. Both were correct.

Didn't matter as I missed Westminster (Kensington popped in my head, never thought about Westminster Abbey being, you know, in Westminster) and the Siam one as I am awful at lit and have never heard of the story (also bad at Theater as its apparently the basis for the King and I.) and lost 4(3) - 8(5).
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I used to be a HUGE hockey fan, but that was eons ago. Didn't even recognize a few of the names on the hockey list, but was sure that my answer of Esposito -- Phil, not Tony -- was correct. Dionne would have been my second choice, as I watched him in person when I was still going to games in Los Angeles. Gretzky too, but he was on Edmonton at the time.

Parliament itself is frequently referred to as "Westminster", my being aware of that due to watching a lot of British TV series and movies. I wasn't sure that Westminster was the name of a borough, but seemed as good a guess as anything else.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

RandyG wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:14 pm Parliament itself is frequently referred to as "Westminster", my being aware of that due to watching a lot of British TV series and movies. I wasn't sure that Westminster was the name of a borough, but seemed as good a guess as anything else.
When I thought of Westminster Abbey, I had a feeling that was the key thing you were meant to think of to lead you to the answer. My placeholder answer most of the day was Marylebone, just because I've lately been watching on youtube the 1950s TV series "Sherlock Holmes" which starred Ronald Howard (long before Opie Taylor or Richie Cunningham). The opening shots show the Parliament buildings, and soon you see a sign that says "Marylebone" and soon Baker Street. It turns out (I don't mean it had been a secret; only that I hadn't known) that Marylebone is IN Westminster, but is merely a neighborhood while Westminster is a borough of London though it's also the "City of Westminster" and how that could be is beyond the province of this post.

It turns out I was never in danger on the hockey question, but there was much back and forth between Esposito and Hull before I finally chose the former. I did realize the latter gave me two chances for the price of one, but I remembered Bobby jumping to the WHA and I had no real idea how long Brett's career was, as I had long since stopped paying much attention. I find now that only Brett qualifies, though only a fool would have risked a full name (no offense meant to anyone).

I had Espo's Topps card in 1972. Or maybe it was 1971. The memory fades:
espo71.jpg
espo71.jpg (34.15 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
espo72 .jpg
espo72 .jpg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
I'm smart and I want respect.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I've got a great D % of ---, starting off with two 9 (6) s in a row against me. Love to be in A rundles all the time.

Also, the hockey question could not have been more up my alley. Almost went with Andreychuk to be a smart aleck, but wasn't 100% sure on him. I had a poster of Brett Hull with a NOMA sled in my room as a kid, and collected probably hundreds of his cards. Great hair.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.