Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:06 pm WARNING! Be careful about switching between the old site and new site between pulling up the current questions and submitting. I pulled up the questions on my laptop and then decided to look at them on my cellphone to see how they looked. I then used my cellphone to also look at today's questions. But then I used my cellphone to switch to the new site. I went back to my laptop (which was still on the old site), put my answers in and submitted. When I did, the new site came up with all of my answers blank. And they seem to be nowhere to be found. I have contacted Thorsten to see what (if anything) can be done.
Did it accept your defense assignments? Seems weird it would accept the defense but not the answers, and if it didn't accept anything it seems weird it would have considered you submitted. I assume the answers were revealed to you?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 am
alietr wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:06 pm WARNING! Be careful about switching between the old site and new site between pulling up the current questions and submitting. I pulled up the questions on my laptop and then decided to look at them on my cellphone to see how they looked. I then used my cellphone to also look at today's questions. But then I used my cellphone to switch to the new site. I went back to my laptop (which was still on the old site), put my answers in and submitted. When I did, the new site came up with all of my answers blank. And they seem to be nowhere to be found. I have contacted Thorsten to see what (if anything) can be done.
Did it accept your defense assignments? Seems weird it would accept the defense but not the answers, and if it didn't accept anything it seems weird it would have considered you submitted. I assume the answers were revealed to you?

Yes, the defensive assignments were still in there, as were the answers. He did reinstate my answers.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had another 1-point loss yesterday. The wrong side of the coin coming up for me between the sun/the moon and Mars/Venus cost me a tie.

I also wouldn't have guessed that Joan of Arc would play so much easier than Jacobean.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

StevenH wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 am I had another 1-point loss yesterday. The wrong side of the coin coming up for me between the sun/the moon and Mars/Venus cost me a tie.

I also wouldn't have guessed that Joan of Arc would play so much easier than Jacobean.
I got Joan on a total guess of the only French saint I could name. I didn’t know she only got her halo in the 20th century. I bet a lot of people got that correct on a guess.

I got the male/female question thanks in large part to the book.

I put Jacobin instead of Jacobean. I had hoped for some leniency but I looked it up and Jacobin is something different. I think I might have gotten credit otherwise but my answer was clearly wrong even if it could be correct phonetically. Cost me three points.
My only other miss was saying birth for the last one. I wound up with a 5(4)-5(3) tie as my perfect defense for the season crashed and burned. I have 13 TCA so far (in D) but my record is only 1-0-2.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

My crap beginning continues. Currently 0-3-0 with a .286 DE. While I have gotten a 3-points each of the first 3 days, I've also given one away on each.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

1-1-1 right now. Took a tough 6(5)-7(4) loss on Thursday and a 6(5)-6(4) tie yesterday, so my defense hasn't been great so far.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:54 am
StevenH wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 am I had another 1-point loss yesterday. The wrong side of the coin coming up for me between the sun/the moon and Mars/Venus cost me a tie.

I got Joan on a total guess of the only French saint I could name. I didn’t know she only got her halo in the 20th century. I bet a lot of people got that correct on a guess.

I got the male/female question thanks in large part to the book.

I put Jacobin instead of Jacobean. I had hoped for some leniency but I looked it up and Jacobin is something different. I think I might have gotten credit otherwise but my answer was clearly wrong even if it could be correct phonetically. Cost me three points.
My only other miss was saying birth for the last one. I wound up with a 5(4)-5(3) tie as my perfect defense for the season crashed and burned. I have 13 TCA so far (in D) but my record is only 1-0-2.
Jacobian was accepted, for the record.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I guess the Mars/Venus book is far enough in the past. If that question had been asked in the 1990s, I would have expected a 98% get rate.

So, I learned something worth noting and remembering. Heard of the term Jacobean, but had no idea what it referred to, so never would have come up with it. Answered "Stuart" for having no better guess, though the construction is clearly not parallel with Jacobean, Elizabethan, Jamesian, Victorian. Stuartian didn't register as anything in particular.

I apparently read too much into "fittingly" (in parentheses) for the Holi festival, thinking there must be something clever that I was missing in the actual answer, rather than what I would suggest is a mundane answer of color, as a complement to spring. Thorsten's parenthetical clues usually do point to some clever device.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:05 pm So, I learned something worth noting and remembering. Heard of the term Jacobean, but had no idea what it referred to, so never would have come up with it. Answered "Stuart" for having no better guess, though the construction is clearly not parallel with Jacobean, Elizabethan, Jamesian, Victorian.
The one after Jacobean, Caroline (I guess they didn't like Charlesian :) ), doesn't quite follow either.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 pm
RandyG wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:05 pm So, I learned something worth noting and remembering. Heard of the term Jacobean, but had no idea what it referred to, so never would have come up with it. Answered "Stuart" for having no better guess, though the construction is clearly not parallel with Jacobean, Elizabethan, Jamesian, Victorian.
The one after Jacobean, Caroline (I guess they didn't like Charlesian :) ), doesn't quite follow either.
Coulda been Chuckian. ;)

Perhaps English posterity at the time didn't think too highly of a direct English derivative of Charles (I), and so went for the Latin equivalent, as I learned where Jacobean also came from. Or maybe my 21st Century reasoning should stay out of this.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

RandyG wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:12 pm
econgator wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 am
teapot37 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 am (I think you were "supposed" to get that question from the American Gothic House, but my brain stopped reading the question before I got that far.)
That's the only reason I got it. Never would have guessed Iowa otherwise.
I wasn't familiar with any of the sites, but Czech/Slovak and Amana said Midwest, so I guessed Illinois. Didn't remember that (appliance manufacturer) Amana HQ was specifically in Iowa.
My wife and I visited a little brewery in the Amana Colonies on our way to the Iowa State Fair. The Fair is a bit of Americana that everyone should experience at least once.

Years before that, a friend and I drove from Chicago to Los Angeles to watch Michigan lose in the Rose Bowl. In a display of colossally bad judgment, we opted to take the northern route (I-80/I-15) to LA, but that's another story. Westbound on 80, we passed the Hoover Library and Museum, which is also his burial place. My friend said, "I wonder if his gravesite is at the bottom of a deep depression". He couldn't say "I'll show myself out" because he was inside a moving car.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

RandyG wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:05 pm
So, I learned something worth noting and remembering. Heard of the term Jacobean, but had no idea what it referred to, so never would have come up with it. Answered "Stuart" for having no better guess, though the construction is clearly not parallel with Jacobean, Elizabethan, Jamesian, Victorian. Stuartian didn't register as anything in particular.

I apparently read too much into "fittingly" (in parentheses) for the Holi festival, thinking there must be something clever that I was missing in the actual answer, rather than what I would suggest is a mundane answer of color, as a complement to spring. Thorsten's parenthetical clues usually do point to some clever device.
I think “Jamesian” usually refers to Henry James (by the way, I find the dictionary-endorsed pronunciation “JAMES-i-an” inelegant. In my classes, it’s going to be “ja-ME-sian”). Perhaps “Jacobean” is a retronym?

I also read too much into “fittingly” though I can’t say I was thrown off, as I hadn’t been on anything. I was happy anyway with my guess of “cows”, which seemed doubly fitting (“Holi cows”, plus of course their sacred status).
I'm smart and I want respect.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lucked into a 6(3)-5(3) win.

Current events are my worst category but I was fully expecting a question on the murder hornets this season. Current Events were my opponent's 5th best category, I gave them a 0, and they missed it.

I got the question on the athletes, but I was confused as to why those three would be asked for together like that. I didn't realize the common theme of their nicknames until after I Googled their names after I submitted.

Math is my best category but I was never going to figure that one out. And I saw the Reddit thread that was referenced on the message board after I submitted.

I got QDOBA, but not knowing where all they are located made that one hard to defend. My opponent was from Minnesota, I gave them a 1, and they missed it.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

StevenH wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:29 am I lucked into a 6(3)-5(3) win.

Current events are my worst category but I was fully expecting a question on the murder hornets this season. Current Events were my opponent's 4th best category, I gave them a 0, and they missed it.

I got the question on the athletes, but I was confused as to why those three would be asked for together like that. I didn't realize the common theme of their nicknames until after I Googled their names after I submitted.

Math is my best category but I was never going to figure that one out. And I saw the Reddit thread that was referenced on the message board after I submitted.

I got QDOBA, but not knowing where all they are located made that one hard to defend. My opponent was from Minnesota, I gave them a 1, and they missed it.
The math sequence was the last one I got. I was strictly going additive or multiplicative at first, but was stymied since 83 is prime. Once I realized the function could be f(x) = g(x) + k, I subtracted 2 from everything and it fell into place.

I remember when Qdoba used to be called "Zteca" (there was one not far from campus), and that the name changed when I was in college.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Yesterday was probably the most upset at myself I've been in 12 seasons in LL. I forgot to put in an answer that was not only right but would've given me a tie. I went through the questions and knew the players and Johnson right off. I do my defense. I look again at Q1, thought, thats the murder bees or whatever they are called. Well, it says Vespa right in the name and I know thats Italian for wasp so must be wasps. But hornets sounds right my brain says. But it says vespa right there, thats wasp I say. Ok, lets go with murder wasps. Strike one. Look again at Q2, think, this came up on LL not too long ago and I feel like her name was Bess or Bessie with a plain last name like Smith. We'll come back to that one (strike 2). Take some time to figure out the math one, much to my delight. Look at Q6, thinking I have no idea what this could be. Bounce a few things around, come up with nothing and submit. Well I forgot to go back and put Smith in the box for Q2...and its right. Damn. What really hurts seeing that I lost today 4(3) - 6(5) with 2 points on Smith and 1 point on Murder Hornet. I'm now 1-3 and in the relegation zone...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:29 am I got QDOBA, but not knowing where all they are located made that one hard to defend. My opponent was from Minnesota, I gave them a 1, and they missed it.
Apparently they have some in Orlando and Tampa, but I had literally never heard of this place until yesterday.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 am Yesterday was probably the most upset at myself I've been in 12 seasons in LL. I forgot to put in an answer that was not only right but would've given me a tie. I went through the questions and knew the players and Johnson right off. I do my defense. I look again at Q1, thought, thats the murder bees or whatever they are called. Well, it says Vespa right in the name and I know thats Italian for wasp so must be wasps. But hornets sounds right my brain says. But it says vespa right there, thats wasp I say. Ok, lets go with murder wasps. Strike one. Look again at Q2, think, this came up on LL not too long ago and I feel like her name was Bess or Bessie with a plain last name like Smith. We'll come back to that one (strike 2). Take some time to figure out the math one, much to my delight. Look at Q6, thinking I have no idea what this could be. Bounce a few things around, come up with nothing and submit. Well I forgot to go back and put Smith in the box for Q2...and its right. Damn. What really hurts seeing that I lost today 4(3) - 6(5) with 2 points on Smith and 1 point on Murder Hornet. I'm now 1-3 and in the relegation zone...
I did the same thing with the Murder wasp/hornet, but since the math problem took some time, I mulled over it enough to change to hornet. I'm sure I'm going to forget the backfill sometime. I loved the math question, but I saw on the LL board that a lot of people hated it. They complained because it wasn't a "listed" series and it wasn't unique (it is).

On the plus side, The Joan of Arc was my first correct theater question (now 1-15)! It was really a history question for my solve, but I'll take it to get the goose egg off my scorecard!

I'm grooming some rookies for the private rundle if it's OK that they aren't Jboardies. Three siblings are really enjoying it and are all doing well with 0.400 Qpct or better.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

One problem with learning most of your trivia by reading, is that you don't hear a lot of words spoken out loud, and hearing them spoken is a good way not only to cement them into you brain but to make sure you have the name right.

Anyway, yesterday I learned that the rap duo was not called Eric B and RaHim. Bummer. Still won though.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:52 am One problem with learning most of your trivia by reading, is that you don't hear a lot of words spoken out loud, and hearing them spoken is a good way not only to cement them into you brain but to make sure you have the name right.

Anyway, yesterday I learned that the rap duo was not called Eric B and RaHim. Bummer. Still won though.
Yesterday I learned there was a rap star named Rakim. Along with learning that brutto doesn’t mean bad in Italian. Still won though.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I knew that the film was called Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo in Italian, so I appreciated the hint that those three weren't in the same order as the English title.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.