Monday, May 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, May 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Philliesfan02 »

If only Jesse was as good in DJ! as he was in the first round...

I've started keeping track of my coryat because I'm gonna turn 18 soon and want to be on the show someday.

23 R, 7 W for $14,400 coryat.

DDs: 2/3 (missed beluga)

FJ: :mrgreen: I have gotten 36 of the last 50 non-rerun FJ! clues correct.

LT: Bogota, Mt. Aconcagua, (Earth)
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Pretty incredible finish. A last-second half-court heave by Ben to stay in the game, and then an outright win in a situation I thought was most likely to end in a tiebreaker.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:10 pm Instaget FJ here. The Bill of Rights struck me as a bad guess as the wording seems the inspiration for the 2nd amendment.
I suspect you're exactly right, although I have never read the AoC. It seemed very strange to me that someone would know that the right to bear arms and the mention of a militia would be in the Bill of Rights, yet NOT know that's a reference to the Second Amendment, as much as #2 is ALWAYS in the news. Since the clue mentioned #6, that should have immediately ruled out the Bill of Rights. Sad that that miss cost Megan the game.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I was so happy to get away from the GOAT games and back to "mere-mortal" degree of difficulty. I had a decent game instead of standing and staring as I was when watching Ken-James-Brad.

LT on Martin (Buber and Heidegger), pomegranate, and good old Mt. Aconcagua, plus the DD on Beluga that was missed in the game.

Hope all of you out there in Trebekistan are staying safe and healthy.

I finally managed to get to a barber shop last weekend. I was just due for a cut when all the shops were ordered closed by the governor. I don't want to sound as if that's a terrible problem, given all that others have been facing in the last couple of months, but I really needed that cut.
Last edited by John Boy on Tue May 19, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:13 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:10 pm Instaget FJ here. The Bill of Rights struck me as a bad guess as the wording seems the inspiration for the 2nd amendment.
I suspect you're exactly right, although I have never read the AoC. It seemed very strange to me that someone would know that the right to bear arms and the mention of a militia would be in the Bill of Rights, yet NOT know that's a reference to the Second Amendment, as much as #2 is ALWAYS in the news. Since the clue mentioned #6, that should have immediately ruled out the Bill of Rights. Sad that that miss cost Megan the game.
Here's the entire paragraph-
No vessel of war shall be kept up in time of peace by any State, except such number only, as shall be deemed necessary by the United States in Congress assembled, for the defense of such State, or its trade; nor shall any body of forces be kept up by any State in time of peace, except such number only, as in the judgement of the United States in Congress assembled, shall be deemed requisite to garrison the forts necessary for the defense of such State; but every State shall always keep up a well-regulated and disciplined militia, sufficiently armed and accoutered, and shall provide and constantly have ready for use, in public stores, a due number of filed pieces and tents, and a proper quantity of arms, ammunition and camp equipage.
I note that no right to bear arms is expressed. Only the State is considered.
Not that this makes Megan's miss more explicable.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:34 am I happened to watch this episode live but I just checked and it didn’t record. I switched from having it record just new episodes to all episodes a couple weeks ago. But it is scheduled for today and going forward. But next week’s games are not labeled as being teacher games.
Well, good! That means maybe everyone's DVRs will go ahead and record them! :lol:

Looking ahead in my listings, I see that Monday's episode IS labeled as a Teachers Tournament, and it is scheduled to record. I will monitor this situation closely.

When did the mislabeled Teacher Tournament eps air? I can't seem to find them--at least not mislabeled as such.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Just remembered I wanted to express my appreciation for Ben's moment of awesome on the maple leaf flag clue. He gave the same response I did and the one I always hope for and never get. "What is Canada, eh?"

It's a small thing but it made me happy.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:22 pm My DVR didn't recognize this as a new episode. Crap.

ETA: That was a piss-easy FJ!
Why does anyone do that record only new episodes thing? Have your PVR record every weekday at the time Jeopardy is on.
It may depend on the system and the provider, but I get more with recording J! by using "new episodes" than with recording at a specific time. If J! is preempted (and I often don't notice it happening), the DVR usually picks up the 2 a.m. showing. Not always. But I do get more that way than by recording whatever preempted the episode.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Surprised myself by getting several Triple Stumpers without even having to think about them, and then booted at least an equal number of supposedly easy ones.

Never noticed the pomegranate on the Spanish flag, and I still don't think it looks much like a real one, but "Persephone" made it a gimme.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:25 pm Just remembered I wanted to express my appreciation for Ben's moment of awesome on the maple leaf flag clue. He gave the same response I did and the one I always hope for and never get. "What is Canada, eh?"

It's a small thing but it made me happy.
One of my "wouldn't dare try it, but it would be fun to think of" responses would be to answer "Goodbye-wa nan desu ka?" to a clue that says "It's what someone who says 'sayonara' means". It's in the form of a question, and if Ken can respond "Que es *", then I can respond with "*-wa nan desu ka?"
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

4/4 on da big clues

Negged with Anarchy in the UK (God Save the Queen) and Chimborazo (Aconcagua)

Tripped over cognoscenti to get to intelligentsia

Sad ending for Megan :/
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump for today's rerun and not a good reminder for those who missed the FJ! clue.