Wednesday, May 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

Lefty wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:49 am
MattKnowles wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:27 pm It's harder for me to remember that Seneca tutored Caligula.
A lucky thing, as it was Nero he tutored.
Oops. Thanks for the correction. The silver lining is that my embarrassment will help me remember it now.

It looks like I'm the only one that said Prairie Dog. Now I know that meerkats live in Africa and I'll be able to get that next time if they use a similar hint.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:27 pm
talkingaway wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:17 pm Is there any way that I should have picked Aristotle for Alexander's tutor, and not Socrates or Plato? The emphasis on science? Chronology? Or is this just a YEKIOYD, otherwise it's a "pick one of three, and good luck"?
Aristotle tutoring Alexander is used a lot in trivia. I know Alexander was the last of the three and I can remember it by thinking that Socrates was busy teaching Plato, Plato was busy teaching Aristotle, Aristotle had a bunch of free time so he tutored Alexander.
Pretty sure I've posted this previously, but I use SPA to remember the Greek philosophers in chronological order, and then Aristotle and Alexander both begin with A.

Neither of my precalls came up in High-Scoring 4-Letter Scrabble Words: jinx or quiz.

Ran Hats All, "End" and League in J, just Alexander in DJ.

LT: Panama, mosquito (DD), Spurs, AQotWF, Spalding Gray, foxy, Peacekeeper, Pecos Bill (DD) [edited to change Darius to Peacekeeper--thx, LSV]
Fwiw, the Persian kings J! asks about go in alpha order oldest to most recent: Cyrus, Darius, Xerxes. Not that that would have helped today.

All I could come up with in FJ was toilet. Enceinte does not at all sound French to me... though toilet does.
Last edited by reddpen on Fri May 22, 2020 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
In and out of the pool four times
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

reddpen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:44 am
MattKnowles wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:27 pm
talkingaway wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:17 pm Is there any way that I should have picked Aristotle for Alexander's tutor, and not Socrates or Plato? The emphasis on science? Chronology? Or is this just a YEKIOYD, otherwise it's a "pick one of three, and good luck"?
Aristotle tutoring Alexander is used a lot in trivia. I know Alexander was the last of the three and I can remember it by thinking that Socrates was busy teaching Plato, Plato was busy teaching Aristotle, Aristotle had a bunch of free time so he tutored Alexander.
Pretty sure I've posted this previously, but I use SPA to remember the Greek philosophers in chronological order, and then Aristotle and Alexander both begin with A.
Actually, thanks - I didn't know who to thank for that mnemonic, but that was exactly the order that I ran through the Greek philosophers because I read wherever that post is and promptly stole the mnemonic. But I couldn't find any salient clues connecting Alexander to a philosopher at the time, since it's one of those things that I don't know for lack of quiz bowling (and a rotten middle/high school education in history, but that's another story). I'm adding him on to the tail of the mnemonoic and making it SPAA (even if Alexander isn't a philosopher per se). I can't see myself reversing Aristotle and Alexander, and it's helpful if they ask me what leader Aristotle taught.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 pm
Charming wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 pm I was waiting for them to come back after the second break and take the DD from Ben. As far as I know it is a tricorn hat not a tri corner hat.
Ditto. It's absolutely a tricorn.
Or tricorne. But only anachronistically. At the time, they were called "cocked hats"--"cocked" meaning having the brim turned up and curled over and fixed in place. The style went out of fashion by 1800 and wasn't called tricorn(e) until about half a century later. That may be an argument for some latitude in nomenclature. I don't know.

Tangentially, James Monroe was given the nickname "The Last of the Cocked Hats" or "The Last Cocked Hat" because he was the last president old enough to have worn the style--cocked hat, powdered wig, knee breeches. So he was the last of the originals from Revolutionary days. (Jackson was 9 years younger and did serve in the Revolutionary War, but was only 14 when it ended. So he was associated more with the post-Revolution generation. John Quincy Adams was the same age--both born in 1767 within a few months of each other.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought a tricorn was just the offspring of Cerberus and a unicorn.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:27 am I thought a tricorn was just the offspring of Cerberus and a unicorn.
*like*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:28 pm "Colón" was also MASSIVE negbait for Colombia. I don't see how you're supposed to get Panama from that.
I don't know if I would classify it as negbait, but Colombia is a reasonable guess I can identify with -- I lost $2000 on a DD asking for a capital with a "Plaza de Colón" by answering Bogota instead of the correct Madrid.

I answered the port city clue correctly, primarily because we went through the canal a year ago and spent some time in Colón at the Atlantic terminus.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

Charming wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 pm
I might have guessed Spalding Gray if they used Monster in a Box in the clue. I recognized his photo but the name did not emerge.
I was a fan of Gray and saw his shows several times. I recognized him, but I wouldn't have gotten the clue from the title. Swimming to Cambodia was his first monologue turned into a movie and probably his best known title.
"Enceinte" is a familiar word to me independent of I Love Lucy.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (My one miss was the San Antonio Spurs.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Egypt, Panama, (Mosquito), All Quiet on the Western Front, Spalding Gray, Foxy, Hoax, Zebu, Peacekeeper, (Pecos Bill), Gnomes
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

reddpen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:44 am LT: Panama, mosquito (DD), Spurs, AQotWF, Spalding Gray, foxy, Darius, Pecos Bill (DD)
Darius was answered correctly by Nathan.
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

What is a Pecos Bill?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump for the rerun. 11800 good enough for a lock? :roll:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think it would have been funny if Ben had wagered $2,900 on the last DD to fall to exactly half Nathan's score, Dave Leach style, only to have the stratagem fall apart when Nathan negged on the last clue.