Thursday, May 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 »

mas3cf wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:18 am
Lefty wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:51 pm I don't think I've ever made a poll suggestion, but how about "finger and singer rhyme" vs. "finger and singer don't rhyme"?
Second that request.

"Finger" and "Singer" rhyme in German. Not in English.
Okay, somebody help me out - why don't finger and singer rhyme?
davey

Post by davey »

heppm01 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:09 am
Lefty wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:51 pm I don't think I've ever made a poll suggestion, but how about "finger and singer rhyme" vs. "finger and singer don't rhyme"?
Second that request.

Okay, somebody help me out - why don't finger and singer rhyme?
Most people don't fully voice the g in singer, but they do in finger. (fing-ger...sing-er) Listen to the way Michelle said them on the show - she didn't rhyme them.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

That FJ clue didn't even read like a FJ clue - it's like it was a rejected $600 clue in some wordplay category that got thrown in at the last second when the real FJ gets thrown out for some reason.
davey wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:12 am If you can identify A Midsummer Night's Dream from a quote and a character's name - as Michelle did later in the game - you ought to be able to recognize Pyramus and Thisbe since that's the play performed by the rustics within the Shakespeare play...
THAT'S where I knew it from. I had Pyramus on the tip of my tongue, but stayed clam because I couldn't place where I was getting the name from. I did a reading of Midsummer back when I was in college and remember that night well. It took me an embarrassingly long time to recall the name of the play from Lysander's name though -- even though I played Lysander in the show and have multiple photos of myself in a ridiculous costume with the name "LYSANDER" hanging from my neck in huge letters.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It was generally a well-played game despite some surprising TSs. Pyramus a TS when spotted Thisbe? Cmon, folks! As for FJ: Instaget followed by dithering about whether top was needed. 12 ft boy: nothing in the question required it to be an elemental metal. Brass, bronze and pewter* are considered metals, too.

* Steel is more of a conundrum since it’s an alloy of a metal (Fe) with a non-metal (C)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:35 pm
Thanks to Michelle for setting my mind at ease about "top brass". I gave that response confidently and Mrs P pointed out that they were looking for a "word". I then worried that I might have cheated myself out of a get. Always re-read the clue for extra comprehension, people!
"Brass" came quickly, then I spent the rest of the think music wondering if they were going to be sticklish enough to eliminate either "top brass" or "brass hat" as correct responses. I support the judges' decision. But I applaud Mrs. P for keeping Opus on the on the straight and narrow.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:52 pmBut I applaud Mrs. P for keeping Opus on the straight and narrow.
Coming up on 32 years and she hasn't turned in her notice yet! (It's probably because of that clause in her contract that says she has to train her replacement.)
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

J! Archive is down for the moment, so I can't provide the exact wording of the clue, but for the rhyming words Daily Double, I said "peasant and pleasant." Any objections as to why that would be wrong? (OED says that peasant can be used as an adjective.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MSTieScott wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 pm J! Archive is down for the moment, so I can't provide the exact wording of the clue, but for the rhyming words Daily Double, I said "peasant and pleasant." Any objections as to why that would be wrong? (OED says that peasant can be used as an adjective.)
"Adjective for lowly labor & warmly affable or agreeable"

I would say close, but no cigar. Certainly some peasant work is lowly labor, but I don't think you can broadly apply "peasant" to lowly labor.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 pm
MSTieScott wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 pm J! Archive is down for the moment, so I can't provide the exact wording of the clue, but for the rhyming words Daily Double, I said "peasant and pleasant." Any objections as to why that would be wrong? (OED says that peasant can be used as an adjective.)

I would say close, but no cigar. Certainly some peasant work is lowly labor, but I don't think you can broadly apply "peasant" to lowly labor.
A peasant is "a poor farmer of low social status" according to the first definition Google gives me. Sounds like "lowly labor" to me. I think they have to give it to him. It's not quite as good as the desired response, but it fits.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 pm

A peasant is "a poor farmer of low social status" according to the first definition Google gives me. Sounds like "lowly labor" to me. I think they have to give it to him. It's not quite as good as the desired response, but it fits.
That's the noun definition. The adjectival definition refers to traditions, crafts, clothing, etc.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Second that request.

This is almost the dress question to me. My mental narration as I read this post was an almost perfect rhyme, with the soft "g" in finger. But I know in speech I would definitely say "get your Fin Ger out of my face", and so on. I think it is one of those where I would use the two syllable and accented enunciation if using it as a noun, and the soft monotone if using it as a verb.

I will vote that they rhyme, every bit as much as water and daughter as normally spoken. Since I work with multi-nationals, I tend to hit the consonants hard and slowly to help them with comprehension. If I can't learn their language, I can sure as hell help them with our nasty train wreck of spelling and pronunciation.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 pm

That's the noun definition. The adjectival definition refers to traditions, crafts, clothing, etc.
The first definition of peasant as an adjective is "of or characteristic of peasants or their way of life." My ruling stands. No way they wouldn't give credit for this. It wouldn't surprise me if Alex had it written on his card as an "also accept".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:04 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 pm

The first definition of peasant as an adjective is "of or characteristic of peasants or their way of life." My ruling stands. No way they wouldn't give credit for this. It wouldn't surprise me if Alex had it written on his card as an "also accept".
I would concur with "peasant work" being "lowly labor"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (My only miss was French 75.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cupid, Pyramus, Mindanao, Pled & Shred, (Menial & Genial), Trans-Canada Highway, King Arthur, Journey to the West, Scotland, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Prince
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump for the rerun with Alex and Shawn doing car talk.