FJs for the 5/18/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 5/18/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:48 pm

"Every state shall always keep up a well regulated and disciplined militia, sufficiently armed and accoutred" is in No. 6 of these
76%
In this novel the surname of a pastor, his wife & 4 sons is not given in the text; the title was meant to evoke a 1719 novel
71%
"I Love Lucy" used the French word "enceinte" in a 1952 episode title because CBS didn't want this word used
80%
This word for high-ranking officials comes from a metal used in 19th century military insignia
92%
This state borders 3 other states with Ivy League schools, but doesn't have one itself  
76%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
38%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
PLAYWRIGHTS $2000: This playwright who penned "Angels in America" also wrote the screenplays for Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" & "Munich"
41%
STILL STANDING IN EUROPE $1600 box DD: Built in the 9th century, the castle named for this European capital looks out upon the Vltava River
44%
ALEXANDER THE GREAT $2000: After defeating him in battle, Alexander placed his own cloak over the corpse of his Persian foe, the III king of this name
40%
The Federalist Papers was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
13%
WORDS THAT SHOULD RHYME $600: Gorgonzola for one & multiple ganders - I disagree and do think that they rhyme.
5%
I got Swiss Family Robinson and only afterwards understood the connection to Robinson Crusoe.
31%
I got to Robinson Crusoe first (with or without 1719 helping) and then made the connection to the correct response.
14%
WORDS THAT RHYME $400: A digit & a chanteuse - I disagree and do not believe that "finger" & "singer" rhyme.
46%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue by guessing a state that does indeed have an Ivy League school.
10%

Total votes: 93

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 5/18/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

5/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICA IN THE 1700s

5/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Every state shall always keep up a well regulated and disciplined militia, sufficiently armed and accoutred" is in No. 6 of these

5/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ADVENTURE NOVELS

5/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In this novel the surname of a pastor, his wife & 4 sons is not given in the text; the title was meant to evoke a 1719 novel

5/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC TV SITCOMS

5/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"I Love Lucy" used the French word "enceinte" in a 1952 episode title because CBS didn't want this word used

5/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MILITARY SLANG

5/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word for high-ranking officials comes from a metal used in 19th century military insignia

5/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
IVY LEAGUE GEOGRAPHY

5/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This state borders 3 other states with Ivy League schools, but doesn't have one itself

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
the Articles of Confederation
The Swiss Family Robinson
pregnant
brass
Vermont
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 2-0-2-3-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested DD sandwiched by two a player got correct.

PLAYWRIGHTS $2000: This playwright who penned "Angels in America" also wrote the screenplays for Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" & "Munich"

STILL STANDING IN EUROPE $1600 box DD: Built in the 9th century, the castle named for this European capital looks out upon the Vltava River

ALEXANDER THE GREAT $2000: After defeating him in battle, Alexander placed his own cloak over the corpse of his Persian foe, the III king of this name

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Tony Kushner
Prague
Darius

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 5/18/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I think I guessed Belgrade instead of Prague. Or maybe even Warsaw?

SFR before RC

Cheese & Geese don’t rhyme to me.

Finger & Singer don’t rhyme to me.

Not polled: I got the Lucy clue from knowing about the episode and not the French word itself.

I have seen the SFR TV show for sure and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the movie. I’m certain I’ve been up in the Disneyland tree house before it was Tarzan-themed. Definitely, I have not read the book.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat May 23, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

Said Maryland on Friday to blow checking the brag box :oops:

I got the connection to RC while writing down the word "Robinson" and looking at the year 1719.

I'll put my thought on the matter like this: if the poem moves me, I won't notice that "cheese" and "geese" don't rhyme.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Sat May 23, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :( :|

Had Federalist Papers for Monday. Jumped to Connecticut immediately on Friday (?!?) before realizing my mistake and getting to Vermont quickly.

I checked the first box for SFR, but I don’t know that either apply since I knew the Robinson Crusoe connection beforehand.

Don’t think either of those pairs rhyme.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I forgot that I missed Monday, so I didn't even have a perfecto going into Friday, like I thought.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :(

I blanked on the playwright both during the game and while reading this very thread. Darius was my third choice after Xerxes and Cyrus.

I was between the Articles of Confederation and the Federalist Papers, but stuck with my first instinct.
I thought of Robinson Crusoe first; it took me a little bit to comprehend the clue, but I eventually did.
I spent the entire commercial break on Friday trying to name all the Ivy League schools and their states. I think it helped. I wasn't totally sure about Vermont, because I could only name NH and NY as its relevant border states, but it made more sense than going south.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Who thinks "cheese" and "geese" rhyme!? Someone with a German accent, maybe?

My thinking on the SFR one went:

1. 1719 book = Robinson Crusoe.
2. What other book has either "Robinson" or "Crusoe" in the title?
3. Description of the book matches Swiss Family Robinson. Check!
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Got SFR from the first part of the clue, without the Crusoe connection.

Cheese and geese do not rhyme. Finger and singer should rhyme, but singer is often pronounced in a way that they do not.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:| :mrgreen: :|

Two close calls with "Articles of THE Confederation" and "Top Brass" (when asked for a WORD). But the former has precedent for being accepted and the latter was accepted in the very game in question. So I squeaked into a perfecto for the week.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

"Enceinte" made me think "incendiary," so I was trying to think of fiery words, and nothing clicked.
After a visit to Euro Disney as a kid, I had Swiss Family Robinson and Robinson Crusoe mixed up in my head for years. So this was an easy clue.
Geese and cheese don't rhyme. FInger and singer... usually "finger" has a harder G sound than "singer"; saying it without so it rhymes works but sounds a little weird.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Not sure I would've gotten to Swiss Family Robinson even if spotted Crusoe...that was a pretty bad gap.

Xerxes, but would've gone with Darius on the rebound; even saw the 300 sequel last week...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I'll be the first to admit that I missed Thursday's FJ. In all the metals I thought of, brass didn't enter my mind. Oh well.
Initially veered too far south and said Maryland, then veered too far west and went with Ohio. Should've veered too far north on that one.

I've seen enough shows and poured through the archive enough times to know that "1719 novel" = Robinson Crusoe. The rest of Tuesday's clue fell into place after that.

Cheese and geese don't rhyme. The way I pronounce "finger" and "singer" doesn't make them rhyming words, but I've heard "singer" pronounced with a hard "g" before, so I'm fine with considering them rhyming words.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If anybody wants to make either of those pairs rhyme, you can.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:( :( :(
I would prefer not to.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Wait- shouldn't one of the questions be "I -AGREE- and think that "finger" and "singer" do not rhyme?" The category implied that they didn't. (For the record: they don't rhyme.)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:| :| :mrgreen:
Cheese has a z sound, geese has an s sound
Finger & singer rhyme.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

--- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ---

I knew to think of Defoe when "early 1700's English novel" arises. I had sort of known what Swiss Family Robinson was about, but not the significance of "Robinson".

Don't rhyme and don't rhyme. Perhaps things were different in Anglo-Saxon times. I am reminded though of a Dick Cavett interview with Alain Delon I saw on youtube. The actor was talking about the time he ran/stowed away as a teenager, hoping eventually to reach Chicago, where Al Capone lived and John Dillinger died. He pronounced the latter's name, though, to rhyme with "killing 'er", and Cavett corrected him. This was probably a mistake on the host's part, as Cavett had corrected Delon's pronunciation one or twice already, and Delon was not very talkative for the rest of the show, which still had plenty of time left.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:28 am Wait- shouldn't one of the questions be "I -AGREE- and think that "finger" and "singer" do not rhyme?" The category implied that they didn't. (For the record: they don't rhyme.)
Finger/singer was in WORDS THAT RHYME on Thursday; geese/cheese was in WORDS THAT SHOULD RHYME on Tuesday.