FJs for the 5/18/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 5/18/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:48 pm

"Every state shall always keep up a well regulated and disciplined militia, sufficiently armed and accoutred" is in No. 6 of these
76%
In this novel the surname of a pastor, his wife & 4 sons is not given in the text; the title was meant to evoke a 1719 novel
71%
"I Love Lucy" used the French word "enceinte" in a 1952 episode title because CBS didn't want this word used
80%
This word for high-ranking officials comes from a metal used in 19th century military insignia
92%
This state borders 3 other states with Ivy League schools, but doesn't have one itself  
76%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
38%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
PLAYWRIGHTS $2000: This playwright who penned "Angels in America" also wrote the screenplays for Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" & "Munich"
41%
STILL STANDING IN EUROPE $1600 box DD: Built in the 9th century, the castle named for this European capital looks out upon the Vltava River
44%
ALEXANDER THE GREAT $2000: After defeating him in battle, Alexander placed his own cloak over the corpse of his Persian foe, the III king of this name
40%
The Federalist Papers was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
13%
WORDS THAT SHOULD RHYME $600: Gorgonzola for one & multiple ganders - I disagree and do think that they rhyme.
5%
I got Swiss Family Robinson and only afterwards understood the connection to Robinson Crusoe.
31%
I got to Robinson Crusoe first (with or without 1719 helping) and then made the connection to the correct response.
14%
WORDS THAT RHYME $400: A digit & a chanteuse - I disagree and do not believe that "finger" & "singer" rhyme.
46%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue by guessing a state that does indeed have an Ivy League school.
10%

Total votes: 93

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 5/18/20 week

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:25 am :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
--- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ---

I knew to think of Defoe when "early 1700's English novel" arises. I had sort of known what Swiss Family Robinson was about, but not the significance of "Robinson".

Don't rhyme and don't rhyme. Perhaps things were different in Anglo-Saxon times. I am reminded though of a Dick Cavett interview with Alain Delon I saw on youtube. The actor was talking about the time he ran/stowed away as a teenager, hoping eventually to reach Chicago, where Al Capone lived and John Dillinger died. He pronounced the latter's name, though, to rhyme with "killing 'er", and Cavett corrected him. This was probably a mistake on the host's part, as Cavett had corrected Delon's pronunciation one or twice already, and Delon was not very talkative for the rest of the show, which still had plenty of time left.
I always thought Dick Cavett was obnoxious... :roll:
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Immediately thought of the Federalist Papers on Monday and did not think twice.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(
Couldn't pull Kushner in time. Thought "Vitava? Maybe.... Sarajevo? Belgrade?" and settled on Sarajevo. Bit on Xerxes.

Got Lucy easily, though the date didn't help. Remembered the whole "Little Ricky" story line, though, and knew "pregnant" was not considered a polite word in some circles in that era. When my regular 17-year-old babysitter got pregnant in 1959 or 1960, the pregnancy was shocking but the word wasn't. Guess we weren't in polite circles.

Cheese and geese do not rhyme.

Neither do finger and singer. Unless you're from Long Guy-land.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :|

First perfect week in quite awhile, FJ-wise (I did pretty piss-poor on the DD front this week, though). Figured I was toast when I saw Friday's FJ category, but couldn't really come up with any other plausible guess other than the correct answer. I said "Top Brass" and was angry when viewing that they accepted "Brass" by itself; reading the question now I realize I was lucky they accepted the two-word response.

I should have known Kushner, but couldn't pull it up in time. Got SFR from the description of the family in the clue, but for some reason the link to Caruso eluded me during thinking time. Didn't really consider Federalist Papers due to phrasing of the quote, sounded more like an official edict than an advisement on policy. Don't really have strong feelings on the singer/finger debate, but feel its certainly questionable enough the writers should have avoided it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Wait a minute, as of now basically half of you think "singer" and "finger" rhyme? I hardly ever hear anyone actually pronounce them such that they would rhyme.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:08 pm Wait a minute, as of now basically half of you think "singer" and "finger" rhyme? I hardly ever hear anyone actually pronounce them such that they would rhyme.
Not everyone votes on the extras.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

"Swiss Family Robinson" isn't ringing any bells. I had a total brainlock Friday because every state I tried, I knew had an Ivy League school.

I say that singer/finger rhyme but geese/cheese don't.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
MarkBarrett