Monday, May 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, May 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 pm I had a coinflip for FJ! - Wisconsin or Michigan. Turns out I was THINKING of the shape of Minnesota...but of course none of that mattered. Oh well.
It wouldn't help in this case, but Wisconsin has no water (or land) border with Canada. The waters of Minnesota meet the waters of Michigan and completely block off the waters of Wisconsin. If you want to sail from Wisconsin to Canada, you'll have to travel through Michigan or Minnesota.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

With a little URL surgery of official site images it is possible to be spoiled on the semifinalists and finalists.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

talkingaway wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 pm
For some reason, I thought of "banana clip", but that didn't sound right, and I clammed. Apparently it's a women's hair clip or something? Never seen one in my life, but heard the phrase, and thought it might fit.
Actually, you probably have if you have even a passing familiarity with LeVar Burton's character on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Geordi's visor is a banana clip.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

If I hit the two easy ones in a category we've left for last, then miss both $600 and $800 as Ivory did in Sayeth the Bible, and then find the DD on clue 30... maybe it's just me but I'm not betting the farm. I gave myself credit for stranger at $800 on the rebound but doubt I'd have rung in on set, and no way was I pulling Passover.

Then he pulls nearly the same stunt in DJ: finds the last DD on clue 29, bets it all and blows the wad again. I guess he's trying to give himself a chance to win, but... maybe only bet 99 and 44/100ths of your total, Ivory, and stick around for FJ.

Amanda looked very comfortable with the buzzer and the material--nice to see.

I did terribly in Recent Bestsellers, only pulling Quiet, though I blanked on Elizabeth Gilbert's name.

Poll request for that Nightingale DD clue--guessing that polls well under 40%.
I've submitted a few minor capping fixes plus one to Friday's board. Ongoing thanks for all the work you're putting in, Mark.
In and out of the pool four times
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Someone explain to me why I should know that 9/32 inch is college-ruled and not wide-ruled?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

That little dog ear on Minnesota hardly qualifies as a panhandle, but I stupidly went with it anyway. I figured "boundary" in the clue was supposed to make us think of the Boundary Waters between Minnesota and Ontario.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:11 am Someone explain to me why I should know that 9/32 inch is college-ruled and not wide-ruled?
No clue. Narrow ruled is 8/32, college is 9/32 and wide is 11/32. It's literally a "take a guess" clue.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Players are now 0/3 since 2017 on clues about Kristen Hannah and "The Nightingale". Request to have it included on the weekend poll.

-mmm
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

reddpen wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:48 pm If I hit the two easy ones in a category we've left for last, then miss both $600 and $800 as Ivory did in Sayeth the Bible, and then find the DD on clue 30... maybe it's just me but I'm not betting the farm. I gave myself credit for stranger at $800 on the rebound but doubt I'd have rung in on set, and no way was I pulling Passover.
"Stranger" was the only one I missed in that category. I recognized the word as correct after Alex supplied it. But it doesn't jump out as one of those distinctive wordings. Maybe I'm just bitter because I didn't run the category, but this seems like a weak clue. I would've gone with something fun like "And why beholdest thou the ____ that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the ____ that is in thine own eye?"
Spoiler
What are "mote" and "beam"?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:11 am Someone explain to me why I should know that 9/32 inch is college-ruled and not wide-ruled?
I didn't know it, but I figured college was the default, to the point that wide wasn't even a consideration. In retrospect, if I am considering both, I'm thinking a Teachers Tournament clue would ask for college. I'm sorry to only offer the meta approach, but I also think that if they did ask for wide rule, a comparison would be involved; after all, it's only called "wide" because something else is narrower.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:37 pm Ivory had no choice but to go big on the last DD. I wonder if he knew FJ.
True, go big, but I hate, hate, HATE when people go TDD on a DD very late in DJ (unless the situation absolutely requires it). At least leave yourself $100 so you can participate in FJ. It's so disappointing to see someone unable to participate in FJ.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:16 am That little dog ear on Minnesota hardly qualifies as a panhandle, but I stupidly went with it anyway. I figured "boundary" in the clue was supposed to make us think of the Boundary Waters between Minnesota and Ontario.
That was exactly my initial thinking as I gave myself the instaget, and then I started thinking "Panhandle? Chimney? That's not making sense." Further thought brought me quickly to Idaho.
talkingaway wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 pm Math geek warning: No, you don't multiply by 2.54 to convert inches to centimeters. You multiply by (2.54 cm / 1 inch), which is a fraction equal to 1. Factor-label method...you cancel out the inches, and it leaves the cm. That way you never, ever get it wrong - if you multiply by (1 in/2.54 cm), you wind up with units of in^2/cm. I mean, for a J! clue, it's fine...I just love making conversions as brainless as possible.
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by the first sentence, and I'm going to disagree with the second half of your last sentence.
Lefty wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:46 pm I wonder if Amanda actually knew it, or if she was just giving the default state name joke answer.
Maybe I don't remember something, but I don't understand what this meant.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:16 am That little dog ear on Minnesota hardly qualifies as a panhandle, but I stupidly went with it anyway. I figured "boundary" in the clue was supposed to make us think of the Boundary Waters between Minnesota and Ontario.
That was exactly my initial thinking as I gave myself the instaget, and then I started thinking "Panhandle? Chimney? That's not making sense." Further thought brought me quickly to Idaho.
talkingaway wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 pm Math geek warning: No, you don't multiply by 2.54 to convert inches to centimeters. You multiply by (2.54 cm / 1 inch), which is a fraction equal to 1. Factor-label method...you cancel out the inches, and it leaves the cm. That way you never, ever get it wrong - if you multiply by (1 in/2.54 cm), you wind up with units of in^2/cm. I mean, for a J! clue, it's fine...I just love making conversions as brainless as possible.
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by the first sentence, and I'm going to disagree with the second half of your last sentence.
Lefty wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:46 pm I wonder if Amanda actually knew it, or if she was just giving the default state name joke answer.
Maybe I don't remember something, but I don't understand what this meant.
davey

Post by davey »

Johnblue wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:32 pm Usually the Teachers Tournament is quite a bit easier so it was nice to see this game. Wasn’t American Dirt the center of a scandal for veracity?
The controversy is more about authenticity and cultural appropriation than veracity, since it's fiction...It was mentioned in the Current Events thread.
I know the Nightingale book and its author have been mentioned before on J!, but I still have no knowledge about either. Reverse the clue, and The Goldfinch is a lock!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:37 pm Ivory had no choice but to go big on the last DD. I wonder if he knew FJ.
True, go big, but I hate, hate, HATE when people go TDD on a DD very late in DJ (unless the situation absolutely requires it). At least leave yourself $100 so you can participate in FJ. It's so disappointing to see someone unable to participate in FJ.
I agree he should have bet $4,399.

Also, Idaho=I don’t know. (My guess).
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I can't even guess how many times in college working backwards from the units of an answer helped me figure out the steps in between, especially in physics.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:06 am
Unfortunately for me, I locked in on Minnesota, thinking chimneys don't stick up very high over a roof. :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 am
alietr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:06 am
Unfortunately for me, I locked in on Minnesota, thinking chimneys don't stick up very high over a roof. :roll:
Yeah, that's a chimney. Idaho's is more of a smokestack. :)
Golf

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am True, go big, but I hate, hate, HATE when people go TDD on a DD very late in DJ (unless the situation absolutely requires it). At least leave yourself $100 so you can participate in FJ. It's so disappointing to see someone unable to participate in FJ.
Bamaman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 am I agree he should have bet $4,399.
Well, no, he should not have bet $4399 because $4400 shows higher winning chances.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what both of you are saying about sticking around for FJ. And most contestants feel the same way. Here's a quote from an article about Jeopardy strategy written for an online poker magazine.

We've all seen situations late in the game where a contestant who is way behind finds a Daily Double. It's obvious the best chance for them to win is to bet it all. But most cannot do that; they cannot risk falling back to zero. They cannot risk losing all their money late in the game on national television. Added to this is the fact that if you finish the Double Jeopardy round with no money, you do not get to compete in Final Jeopardy. This is also a huge psychological barrier to most. They cannot handle not being able to finish the game. They cannot deal with having little or no money going into Final Jeopardy. Well, why should they care to play Final Jeopardy or not if they have no chance to win the game?

The article touches on how emotional thoughts (such as sticking around for FJ) hamper the ability for most to play in the most efficient manner.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:12 pm Also NHO "binder clips".
Ditto. Maybe it's something that they learn during their student teaching stint. I taught in adult education for 18 years, but never did student teaching. Or had access to a teacher's lounge. Or had recess.

But I used MANY "binder clips" without knowing that was a term; everyone I know called them "paper clamps." Wonder if it's a regionalism.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.