Monday, May 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, May 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:06 am
talkingaway wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 pm Math geek warning: No, you don't multiply by 2.54 to convert inches to centimeters. You multiply by (2.54 cm / 1 inch), which is a fraction equal to 1. Factor-label method...you cancel out the inches, and it leaves the cm. That way you never, ever get it wrong - if you multiply by (1 in/2.54 cm), you wind up with units of in^2/cm. I mean, for a J! clue, it's fine...I just love making conversions as brainless as possible.
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by the first sentence, and I'm going to disagree with the second half of your last sentence.
I learned in high school science classes that when you convert from unit A to unit B, where x is the number of units B in one unit A, you don't merely multiply by x; strictly speaking, that just changes the number of units A without converting anything. Instead, you're supposed to multiply your units A by the ratio of units B to units A, so the "units A" marker ends up being arithmetically removed when it's in the numerator and denominator of the result. It always felt like a level of obfuscation to me, but talkingaway is right; it prevents you from unknowingly performing the inverse conversion from what you want.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 am Also, Idaho=I don’t know. (My guess).
Write that guess messily enough and you might accidentally get credit!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:22 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:12 pm Also NHO "binder clips".
Ditto. Maybe it's something that they learn during their student teaching stint. I taught in adult education for 18 years, but never did student teaching. Or had access to a teacher's lounge. Or had recess.

But I used MANY "binder clips" without knowing that was a term; everyone I know called them "paper clamps." Wonder if it's a regionalism.
I don't think I learned the term till I was an adult. I know we used it in southern California. Can't speak to other areas or even very authoritatively to southern California.

And forget the whole trousers-hanging idea. Those things could leave a dent in jeans, let alone dress pants. The REAL utility of binder clips is to keep bags of food items closed. Those stupid cutesy plastic "chip clips" they sell at the grocery store are useless for their supposed purpose. Order yourself some boxes of binder clips in assorted sizes and you'll be set. We use them all the time.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Key & Peele(Though I have heard of that show.) and She Said.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cauliflower, Revelation, Stranger, (Passover), (Cobalt), General & Specific, Troubadours, Elizabeth Gilbert, (The Nighingale)
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:59 pm The REAL utility of binder clips is to keep bags of food items closed. Those stupid cutesy plastic "chip clips" they sell at the grocery store are useless for their supposed purpose. Order yourself some boxes of binder clips in assorted sizes and you'll be set. We use them all the time.
Same here. I knew penguins were smart!
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

heppm01 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:40 am
talkingaway wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 pm Math geek warning: No, you don't multiply by 2.54 to convert inches to centimeters. You multiply by (2.54 cm / 1 inch), which is a fraction equal to 1. Factor-label method...you cancel out the inches, and it leaves the cm. That way you never, ever get it wrong - if you multiply by (1 in/2.54 cm), you wind up with units of in^2/cm. I mean, for a J! clue, it's fine...I just love making conversions as brainless as possible.
I can't even guess how many times in college working backwards from the units of an answer helped me figure out the steps in between, especially in physics.
Since this is the Teachers' Tournament, shout-out to Harvey Pollock at Forest Hills High, who taught us about unit-checks in 1965.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

Golf wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:20 pm
alietr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am True, go big, but I hate, hate, HATE when people go TDD on a DD very late in DJ (unless the situation absolutely requires it). At least leave yourself $100 so you can participate in FJ. It's so disappointing to see someone unable to participate in FJ.
Bamaman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 am I agree he should have bet $4,399.
Well, no, he should not have bet $4399 because $4400 shows higher winning chances.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what both of you are saying about sticking around for FJ. And most contestants feel the same way. Here's a quote from an article about Jeopardy strategy written for an online poker magazine.

We've all seen situations late in the game where a contestant who is way behind finds a Daily Double. It's obvious the best chance for them to win is to bet it all. But most cannot do that; they cannot risk falling back to zero. They cannot risk losing all their money late in the game on national television. Added to this is the fact that if you finish the Double Jeopardy round with no money, you do not get to compete in Final Jeopardy. This is also a huge psychological barrier to most. They cannot handle not being able to finish the game. They cannot deal with having little or no money going into Final Jeopardy. Well, why should they care to play Final Jeopardy or not if they have no chance to win the game?

The article touches on how emotional thoughts (such as sticking around for FJ) hamper the ability for most to play in the most efficient manner.
Disagree with that article completely. There is more than one goal for a contestant, and being there for FJ is one of them. It's part of the fun of playing. Unless betting that last dollar significantly improves the contestant's winning chances, saving it to ensure the secondary goal of FJ participation is entirely rational, and not an emotional decision at all.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:51 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 am Also, Idaho=I don’t know. (My guess).
Write that guess messily enough and you might accidentally get credit!
Ken Jennings tried the "Idaho" response, and it failed, but it at least got a chuckle.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 am
Also, Idaho=I don’t know. (My guess).
Yes, as in "If Mississippi wears her New Jersey, what will Delaware?" In this case, it would be "Idaho. Alaska", but there's not always anyone or anything to ask.

Perhaps its been a while for some of you.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

DavidRosen wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm
Golf wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:20 pm
alietr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am True, go big, but I hate, hate, HATE when people go TDD on a DD very late in DJ (unless the situation absolutely requires it). At least leave yourself $100 so you can participate in FJ. It's so disappointing to see someone unable to participate in FJ.
Bamaman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 am I agree he should have bet $4,399.
Well, no, he should not have bet $4399 because $4400 shows higher winning chances.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what both of you are saying about sticking around for FJ. And most contestants feel the same way. Here's a quote from an article about Jeopardy strategy written for an online poker magazine.

We've all seen situations late in the game where a contestant who is way behind finds a Daily Double. It's obvious the best chance for them to win is to bet it all. But most cannot do that; they cannot risk falling back to zero. They cannot risk losing all their money late in the game on national television. Added to this is the fact that if you finish the Double Jeopardy round with no money, you do not get to compete in Final Jeopardy. This is also a huge psychological barrier to most. They cannot handle not being able to finish the game. They cannot deal with having little or no money going into Final Jeopardy. Well, why should they care to play Final Jeopardy or not if they have no chance to win the game?

The article touches on how emotional thoughts (such as sticking around for FJ) hamper the ability for most to play in the most efficient manner.
Disagree with that article completely. There is more than one goal for a contestant, and being there for FJ is one of them. It's part of the fun of playing. Unless betting that last dollar significantly improves the contestant's winning chances, saving it to ensure the secondary goal of FJ participation is entirely rational, and not an emotional decision at all.
I don't see anything wrong with it if it is emotional. Unless your name is Watson... ;)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It is up to the individual. If you don’t want to be off camera for DJ, then hold back a dollar. If it doesn’t matter, then bet it all.

There aren’t a lot of situations where holding back a dollar makes a difference. If he gets to $8,799 and doubles up in FJ, I think he is in good shape for a wild card at $17,598. For that matter, he is in better shape at $2 than he is at $0 and not playing FJ.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

FJ was an insta get for me. I could have gotten it just from Boundary County. I completely understand the neg bait for Minnesota because the Northwest Angle, which protrudes into Canada, is sometimes called the chimney top of Minnesota. It was the northernmost point in the US until Alaska became a state. But it is in Lake of the Woods County.

Idaho is one of two states that has exactly one County that borders Canada.* In New Hampshire, Canada is bordered only by Coös County, and note the umlaut because it is spelled and pronounced differently from Coos in Oregon.

* Also, Erie County, Pennsylvania is the only one of that state that borders Canada, across Lake Erie.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Some of you need to spend more time in the supply closet.

Look, I found a brand of binder clips that uses the J! clue font on its packaging.

Golf

Post by Golf »

DavidRosen wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm Disagree with that article completely. There is more than one goal for a contestant, and being there for FJ is one of them. It's part of the fun of playing. Unless betting that last dollar significantly improves the contestant's winning chances, saving it to ensure the secondary goal of FJ participation is entirely rational, and not an emotional decision at all.
Well, the title of the article is “Why Jeopardy Contestants Wager Inefficiently”. One of the many reasons this happens is because most contestants have goals other than winning the game.

Most players play not to lose instead of playing to win.
bmitchelf

Post by bmitchelf »

talkingaway wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 pm
Math geek warning: No, you don't multiply by 2.54 to convert inches to centimeters. You multiply by (2.54 cm / 1 inch), which is a fraction equal to 1. Factor-label method...you cancel out the inches, and it leaves the cm. That way you never, ever get it wrong - if you multiply by (1 in/2.54 cm), you wind up with units of in^2/cm. I mean, for a J! clue, it's fine...I just love making conversions as brainless as possible.
What if the clue said "to convert the number of inches into these"?
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Ivory had it rough, right after missing 3 straight (Including the DD) to end the first round, and still had a difficult time getting any traction to keep up with both Peter and Amanda.

Peter made his move once DJ! began, but couldn't keep up the pace with Amanda, and Ivory, much like how the first round ended, got dealt with a critical hit by missing the 2nd DD and didn't risk taking a chance with the last $2,000 clue. Amanda played the game straight up and didn't let go.

But man, not a pretty game to say the least.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.