Tuesday, May 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY METAPHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
If it had physically existed, it would have stretched some 500 miles from the Baltic Sea to the Adriatic Sea

Meggie Kwait: 16400+5201=21601 (Semifinalist)
Katie Labarge: 9200+9200=18400
Sam Matson: 10800+5602=16402

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Iron Curtain

Daily Doubles
Sam: 1600+1600
Meggie: 11800+4000
Meggie: 16200-5000

Coryats
Meggie: 19400
Katie: 9200
Sam: 10000

Combined: 38,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Meggie: 7800
Katie: 1600
Sam: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

There have been plenty of Katies & Sams over the years on J! while today's Meggie is the first I can recall. Her Coryat was better than her opponents combined and nice to see her in the semis after that miss on DD3 put that spot at risk.

The FJ! category had me unable to think of a good precall as the only thing that came to me was Big Blue Marble.

The clue was easier to decipher for a quick response. No guarantee although this game looks like it will produce three semifinalists. If not, then Sam will have left needed bucks on the table.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Its in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6666

6's across the board for the i.d. number
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I didn't see the show, but 500 miles seems way shorter than the length of the Iron Curtain: Separating East and West Germany, Czeckslovakia and Hungary from Austria, and Yugoslavia from Austria and Italy is the dividing line from Soviet controlled to Western democracies in the mid 20th century. That is likely over 1000 miles. This image is from Wikipedia:
Spoiler
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Iron Curtain did come to me during the commercial so that made for an easy get.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

boson wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:12 pm I didn't see the show, but 500 miles seems way shorter than the length of the Iron Curtain: Separating East and West Germany, Czeckslovakia and Hungary from Austria, and Yugoslavia from Austria and Italy is the dividing line from Soviet controlled to Western democracies in the mid 20th century. That is likely over 1000 miles. This image is from Wikipedia:
Spoiler
Europe is tiny. I once drove most of the way across Germany in 3 hours (averaging about 120 mph, mind you 8-) )
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :oops: :D on DDs. Responded with Ellesmere for Baffin.
Instaget FJ. :mrgreen:
In "The name is the Verb" my first response was Rob instead of Chase. :lol:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

mas3cf wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:22 pm
boson wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:12 pm I didn't see the show, but 500 miles seems way shorter than the length of the Iron Curtain: Separating East and West Germany, Czeckslovakia and Hungary from Austria, and Yugoslavia from Austria and Italy is the dividing line from Soviet controlled to Western democracies in the mid 20th century. That is likely over 1000 miles. This image is from Wikipedia:
Spoiler
Europe is tiny. I once drove most of the way across Germany in 3 hours (averaging about 120 mph, mind you 8-) )
Based on Churchill's speech, I checked how far it was from Stettin (now Szczecin) to Trieste and got 1256 kilometers, or 780 miles.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran The Proper Name.

Thought for sure I'd bomb Royalty, but I got 3/5 (said "coronation" at $400, blanked on Andorra).

Can't say I've heard of "soapstone" or any of the other correct responses in Schoolhouse Rocks except bizarrely, lapis lazuli.

NHO any of the songs in Song Sung Blue to my knowledge, either.

And for the trifecta, was 0/5 in Shakespeare.

Not even the faintest of a WAG on FJ! I have heard of "iron curtain" but I thought it was a generic catchall metaphor, not referring to anything specific.

Lach Trash: chase (it's my dog's name, no way am I missing it), ear-piercing, eidetic
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

DBear wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:51 pm
Spoiler
Based on Churchill's speech, I checked how far it was from Stettin (now Szczecin) to Trieste and got 1256 kilometers, or 780 miles.
You need to jog East around Austria. Boost it a few hundred km.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's amazing how much the map has changed.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Spoiler
The scale's on there... Looks like 700. Paint can't rotate 45 degrees so I'm eyeballing the bottom two
(Thread collapsing)
CurtainEdit.jpg
CurtainEdit.jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I made the FJ! harder than it should have been. I concentrated on "sea", which brought me to "bridge" and "bridge to nowhere" - more of a 21st century metaphor. Or at least one that was made popular around then. Bridge Over Troubled Waters? Nope. After being stuck on bridges, I finally figured that the path probably crossed over land. I know Baltic and Adriatic are vaguely European, but honestly, I'm a geographic klutz. As someone once said, they could be anywhere. Maybe Jupiter - I hear that planet's pretty big. But I ignored the exact location of the seas, and concentrated on the time period. Iron Curtain. Finally. Not at the last minute, but again, it took WAY longer than it should have.

Chalk up eidetic as one of those words that I've read fairly frequently (Marilu Henner is a good Pavlov), but never heard spoken. I had "Eddie-et-ic" instead of "Aye-det-ic", so I think I basically took the Alpha-Bits cereal and sloshed my spoon in there a little too much.

As a Bostonian, we're thankful to Halifax, Nova Scotia for two things: The annual Christmas tree that they send us for the help we gave during the Halifax explosion, and Brad Marchand of the Boston Bruins. (Yes, he's the one who licked opponents in the playoffs two years ago. Safe to say he won't do that this year.)

So much for word association: "One Shot" got me to Hamilton, which took me to a president, which took me to Lincoln. Oh, well...maybe I coulda made the audience laugh for $600.

Do they really need a "THIS IS A NEW JEOPARDY" tag right before FJ!? Even if I weren't sure, I'd stick around to hear the clue to see if I recognized it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 pm
DBear wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:51 pm
Spoiler
You need to jog East around Austria. Boost it a few hundred km.
They were likely talking about the distance between the Baltic and the Adriatic as the crow flies rather than by following political boundaries. Even so, it looks to be just over 1000 km, so significantly more than 500 mi
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was patting myself on the back for getting eidetic and then I come here and find out that Hammer got it too?!

How is Stratford a triple stumper? The Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake I could see.

Meggie was such a welcome surprise. She had a really great game. Except for that one Daily Double. She has such nice pale skin. I will admit to Googling her and finding out that she has done some interesting things in her time.

I expect we will be seeing all three of these contestants in the semi-finals. I could cheer for any of them. Maybe they will all be in separate games! Then we can cheer for all of them!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Meggie seems like a very good player, and is also happy to be there. She's my favorite contestant in this tournament so far.

30 R, 6 W for $18,800 coryat

DDs: 3/3

FJ!: :( I was baffled and had no guess. Facepalm upon reveal.

Lach Trash: chase, (Falstaff)
earendel

Post by earendel »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:44 amI expect we will be seeing all three of these contestants in the semi-finals. I could cheer for any of them. Maybe they will all be in separate games! Then we can cheer for all of them!
OK, for the record, has there ever been a tournament final in which the three contestants met in the first round? Is that even possible?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

earendel wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:38 am
floridagator wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:44 amI expect we will be seeing all three of these contestants in the semi-finals. I could cheer for any of them. Maybe they will all be in separate games! Then we can cheer for all of them!
OK, for the record, has there ever been a tournament final in which the three contestants met in the first round? Is that even possible?
Yes, in the 2010 ToC, Vijay Balse, Stefan Goodreau, and Jason Zollinger were all in the last QF game. Vijay won and the other two were wildcards. The producers will always separate players from the same QF game if they make the semis, so each played in a different semi and they all won, pitting them against each other again in the finals.

There may be other examples but that was the first one I found. There are also several examples of 2/3 players from a QF game making the finals.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.