Thursday, May 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Thursday, May 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peachbox »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 pm Teaching the Sport was a quick 0/5 for me. Any reason I should know that pitch at $200 was a fastball?
The clue's narration included the term "two-seam variety"; types of fastballs include two-seam and four-seam, and split-finger.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:13 pm
Golf wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:44 pm Mary Kate really needed to ring in on Q28 in DJ in order to have a chance to win the game. It was obvious Ben was hunting for the last DD, and if the $2000 clue in Poetry was a TS, he would keep control and was guaranteed to find the DD on the next clue, thus sealing her fate. The possible answers for the $2k clue was very narrow and not difficult to WAG the correct answer. If she gets it, she has $3600, doubling up on the gimme DD gives her $7200, then successfully doubling on FJ gives her $14400, a very possible advancing total. Nobody attempted the clue and Ben kept control.

But, as others have mentioned here, perhaps she felt that guaranteeing she could stick around for FJ was more important than trying to advance to the SF's.
I wasn't saying that; I was saying keep $100 (or even $1). There's little difference between $13,800 and $14,400 under your scenario.
I know. This situation is a little different though. It first required her to guess on the $2k clue, and if she missed then she's in the red with no chance of climbing out of the hole. Otherwise the best she can do is $4k, getting the final clue and doubling up in FJ. Technically, she could max out at $15200 if she sweeps the last three clues and wagers the max both times. Or even $16k if she decided to take the $400 clue first, but that would have resulted in a broken TV in my house. :D Surprisingly big difference of $11200 just by taking a stab at clue 28.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Boo, Hiss on Matt for not making the Christa McAuliffe connection to Concord, NH.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Peachbox wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 pm Teaching the Sport was a quick 0/5 for me. Any reason I should know that pitch at $200 was a fastball?
The clue's narration included the term "two-seam variety"; types of fastballs include two-seam and four-seam, and split-finger.
Also cut (usually just called a cutter).
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 pm
Teaching the Sport was a quick 0/5 for me. Any reason I should know that pitch at $200 was a fastball?
The word "basic" was in there. Nothing more basic than a fastball when it comes to pitching.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

In the spirit of answering something for Final, I tried "upswing," which I was pretty sure would be wrong, but at least sounded vaguely musical.

I couldn't process Ancient History for $1200 because I was too distracted by millenium.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

mas3cf wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:16 pm ... because I've always thought of "the bandwagon" as the people who are on board with the thing, not the thing itself as implied by the clue.
My thinking, too. Also missed the FJ!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MSTieScott wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:31 am In the spirit of answering something for Final, I tried "upswing," which I was pretty sure would be wrong, but at least sounded vaguely musical.

I couldn't process Ancient History for $1200 because I was too distracted by millenium.
I addded an eratem four the mispeling.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MSTieScott wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:31 am In the spirit of answering something for Final, I tried "upswing," which I was pretty sure would be wrong, but at least sounded vaguely musical.
Best I could come up with was groundswell. Like yours, vaguely musical. At least the "swell" part is ...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:04 pm Danny Thomas named his hospital in honor of St. Jude, he did not give it to him. Thus it is not a possessive and St. Jude’s should be negged.

I never would have thought that was the origin of the phrase but that was all I could come up with.
I could swear a version of this clue has come up before and that the (incorrect) name "St. Jude's" was negged back then. I was listening for her response, the same way I pay attention to see if contestants refer to the last book of the Bible as "Revelations."

I thought I heard her say "St. Jude" with no " 's". Did my old ears fail me?

On a more positive note, FJ had me wracking my brain for nearly 10 seconds, but I did manage to come up with Bandwagon, to stay perfect on FJ for the week. :D

Now perhaps they can lob me a two-seam softball tonight to make it a perfect week.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:56 am I could swear a version of this clue has come up before and that the (incorrect) name "St. Jude's" was negged back then. I was listening for her response, the same way I pay attention to see if contestants refer to the last book of the Bible as "Revelations."

I thought I heard her say "St. Jude" with no " 's". Did my old ears fail me?
I'd say so. There's a definite s on the end.

I can't find any examples of "St. Jude's" being negged. I can find a few where the clue itself uses that misnomer:

1987-07-15 MEMPHIS $200: Famed entertainer associated with both the Memphis Golf Classic & St. Jude's Children Hosp.
1996-11-11 ANNUAL EVENTS $800: Annual events in this Southern city include the FedEx St. Jude's Golf Classic & Elvis International Tribute Week
2006-03-20 CITIES WITH HOSPITAL-ITY $1600: Since 1962: St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital

At the celebrity J! games in 1995 and 1998 one of the prizes was "$10,000 for St. Jude's Hospital". (I'm guessing St. Jude went ahead and cashed that check.)

With that history, they'd have a rough time arguing that contestants who use the same nomenclature have to be negged.

Here's a recent-ish clue where St. Jude's was accepted without comment:

2015-01-26 HOSPITALS $800: Since this pediatric hospital opened in Memphis in 1962, childhood cancer survival rates have improved from 20% to 80%

There may be more, but that's what I was able to dig up quickly.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

DBear wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:43 pm Waiting for the FJ they always have that's a good 30-50% get rate harder than the others. :?
and here it is... was not getting bandwagon out of that. :(
Didn't get to watch because the Denver affiliate was covering people who wanted to get in on the fun happening in Minneapolis. /s
Nominate for weekend poll "J! was preempted for riot/protest coverage"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:02 am
Peachbox wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:47 pm
Also cut (usually just called a cutter).
Those don't seem like entry-level baseball terms to me.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Ouch.

Those DDs were not fair to those three at all. Two missed on betting big, and one right on a small bet. Ben misreading the clue, and Mary Kate dealt with a rough clue were the reasons I said "Ouch".

FJ! did look easy because of the last part mentioned. Surprised it was a solo get. I have no idea what Matt was thinking on his bet, knowing that the first three games already had secured big on the wildcard spots. I'm not sure why he would bet small, knowing that this could bite him big time.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:15 pm FJ! did look easy because of the last part mentioned. Surprised it was a solo get. I have no idea what Matt was thinking on his bet, knowing that the first three games already had secured big on the wildcard spots. I'm not sure why he would bet small, knowing that this could bite him big time.
Matt was thinking that perhaps he had plenty of dollars to advance before FJ because he was sequestered during the first three games and had no idea what the others had scored.

That’s my guess. 8-)
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

I got caught up in the second half of the clue when I should have ignored it. I fixated on trending and could not get beyond it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Tallahassee), Concord, (Michael Faraday), Impractical Jokers, William Wordsworth
Douglas Squasoni