Monday, June 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woppy T »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:45 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:27 pm I 100% agree on the BMS for "Hepburn" and "clerk" - I let out an audible gasp each time. Alex said "Katharine Hepburn" fluidly, as if it couldn't be anyone else. Perhaps they fixed it in post to remove the ambiguity for home viewers? If they're gonna accept that, they have to accept my response of "Bronte" to the "Name the third Bronte sister" clue. Oddly enough, out loud I said clerk for "clerk to the SCOTUS", but I'm 100% I would have been able to BMS myself to the right response anyway. I might have gone "clerk", "court clerk", "Supreme Court clerk" - do they let you BMS twice?
Hepburn should have, but I disagree on clerk since you were spotted 'Justice' in the clue. If you clerk for a justice in the US, you're a SCOTUS clerk (or too obscure to be asked about on J! "Ooh, sorry, she was the first Justice of the Peace court clerk.")
I’ll buy that. Plus the category was U.S. Government, so that narrowed it considerably.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I believe the only time I've seen "phial" was in the Lord of the Rings (phial of Galadriel).

In context, I thought "Bronte" would not have been enough, "clerk" was enough, and "Hepburn" should have been BMSed.

I knew exactly what FJ! was going for, but my brain wouldn't produce it. "Frederick the Great of..."
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:17 pm I believe the only time I've seen "phial" was in the Lord of the Rings (phial of Galadriel).
"Phial" seems to the British spelling. I remember it being used in several Sherlock Holmes tales, and there's a Lord Darcy short story where it's part of the title in "The Ipswitch Phial" (even though author Randall Garrett is American).
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Failed to recognize Claire Danes from the picture.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Orion), Rough Ruff, Hunley, Vial, (Federal Trade Commission), The Old Curiosity Shop, The Moonstone, Cistern
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I sat in the gallery for an evening of the impeachment trial, so I certainly wasn't going to miss the 'managers' question.
VaBanque
Contributor

Post by VaBanque »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:25 am The contestants were not ready to name the Confederate sub and a 2016 FJ! clue about it polled at 24%. I'll have to poll that stumper this week to see how it goes.
And I pronounced it right this time!
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:37 pm European History had "not even a WAG from Hammer" written all over it. Indeed I had no idea what to pick. I know there is something called "Prussia" but never figured out what it actually was.
It's where they invented the color blue
talkingaway wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:27 pm I 100% agree on the BMS for "Hepburn" and "clerk" - I let out an audible gasp each time. Alex said "Katharine Hepburn" fluidly, as if it couldn't be anyone else. Perhaps they fixed it in post to remove the ambiguity for home viewers? If they're gonna accept that, they have to accept my response of "Bronte" to the "Name the third Bronte sister" clue. Oddly enough, out loud I said clerk for "clerk to the SCOTUS", but I'm 100% I would have been able to BMS myself to the right response anyway. I might have gone "clerk", "court clerk", "Supreme Court clerk" - do they let you BMS twice?
Hepburn should have, but I disagree on clerk since you were spotted 'Justice' in the clue. If you clerk for a justice in the US, you're a SCOTUS clerk (or too obscure to be asked about on J! "Ooh, sorry, she was the first Justice of the Peace court clerk.")

The largest bit had me thinking Prussia really hard but it didn't seem to click until I realized what when they meant by eliminating it, it's now where Poland is.
Prussia in history map place in today territory Poland (Warmia-Mazuria and next time in Pomerania, Great Poland and Silesia) and Kaliningrad Oblast - part of Russia.