Tuesday, June 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN FIRSTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
John Ledyard, sailing on Captain Cook’s last voyage in search of the NW Passage, was the 1st American to land at what are now these 2 states

Meggie Kwait: 24400-18=24382 (Finalist)
Amanda Baltimore: 4800+2222=7022
Jenna Hall: 3800+3800=7600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Alaska & Hawaii (Meggie – California & Oregon)

Daily Doubles
Meggie: 3000+3000
Jenna: 5800-2000
Meggie: 27400-5000

Coryats
Meggie: 27200
Amanda: 4800
Jenna: 5800

Combined: 37,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Meggie: 11000
Amanda: 2000
Jenna: 1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

HALL MONITOR was the second category visited. Amanda got $200 and Jenna got $400. Now that it had been revealed to be a sports category, Jenna switched out.

The category was not revisited until only the last 3 clues remained on the board. Amanda got $600. $800 went TS. $1000 was a double whiff for the position of Baines & Martinez as Meggie had pitcher and Amanda had coach. $1200 to the good as a whole fell to $-800 for the five clues.

In any tournament or special week(s) I always dream of getting all the FJ! clues right. It never happens.

Today I was half right as pictured what was going on with the route and wrote Washington & Alaska after toying with matching WA to OR. It was a duh moment when I saw the other state I should have had instead. It's not that I don't know about Cook's connection there, but instead I was only thinking about the NW.

Now I almost have to hope I miss another FJ! clue this week to reduce the haunting factor on today's clue.

Meggie is now 3/6 on big clues. Any misses she has in the finals had better come in F1. The way Meggie plays and reacts to things is exactly how one gets an invite back to the show for special events. All she has to do now is pad her resume to close the week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Finally done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6680

When you know you are probably not going to get it right?
Spoiler
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $45,600 (52R, 0W)*
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

*giving myself credit for 'quench' instead of 'slake'.

Went in the wrong direction on DD2 with Monroe :( Was proud of myself for running Women Authors; before I started studying, I would have gone 1/5, maybe.
Last edited by mas3cf on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Jenna basically stopped trying to win with her $2k wager on clue 25. Silly, especially when both non-winners receive the same payday.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm tired of the posing during the intros.

But Meggie redeemed herself with her reaction to the thought of Mike Pompeo as a male stripper.

For the $200 Old English clue, I would not have been able to prevent myself from responding, "What is a kuuuunigget?" (or however you want to spell that pronunciation).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This was a very tough board. I was finding myself going "huh?" at nearly every top box. This was causing me to clam and/or brainfart on stuff I would have otherwise pulled much more easily, such as "kangaroo court".

What was the TOM for soccer on Monitor for $200?

Somehow I never processed knights as being soldiers. That threw me for a loop.

That whole Vacation category was miles over my head. Can't say I've heard of Amalfi Coast, which to my ears sounds like it could be literally anywhere, and didn't recognize anything else in that category except Grand Canyon.

Apparently birds are a weak spot in my animal knowledge, because I got only 2/5 in that category.

Someone explain Supremes for $400 to me? That seemed like an extremely opaque clue to me. Poll request?

Dismal DJ! board for me with 5R 1W.

Why should I put anything down, no matter what I put down it'll be wrong. Didn't even consider AK/HI anyway.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Just a few thoughts on this game:

1) Damn, but Meggie looks unstoppable. She becomes my favorite to win this thing.

b) Anyone else identify the source of the quote about reigning in hell vs. serving in heaven because of having seen the conversation between Khan Noonian Singh (Ricardo Montalban) and Captain Kirk on board the bridge of the Enterprise in "Space Seed?"

iii. How bad does you navigator have to be before you sail off in search of the Northwest Passage and find yourself bumping into Hawaii?! :roll:

4) Never understood why so may people have difficulty with the concept of same-sex marriage. I've been married for a long, long time, and I've been the same sex the entire time.

e) Peregrine falcon, my foot! My favorite joke for children:

Q: What's the fastest animal on earth?
A (they always say): The Cheetah!

...to which the answer is...no, it's the cow that's been pushed out of a helicopter.

(feel free to steal it; I did)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 pm I'm tired of the posing during the intros.
You and me both, dear.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 pm 'slake' for $400 with 'quench' as very strong negbait? I bet TPH is going to have something to say about this...
I answered "quench" and marked it wrong, but looking it up with Dr. Google, quench DOES come from old English. Judges? There's some proto-Germanic before the old English, but honestly, if I drove from home to the mall and then to the movie theater (remember when we did that?), it wouldn't be wrong to say I came "from the mall". I'm clawing back my Coryat, unless someone gives me a good reason, especially since "quench" sounds Welsh-ish to me.

Another judges ruling: "Champs-Elysses" for "elysian fields"? Yes, BMS, or ooh sorry? I mean, generally, responses do have to be in English, unless you're Ken Jennings and respond "Que es". I'll admit, I didn't read/hear the clue carefully. Pretty sure a BMS (with an "en anglais" from Alex) would have lead me to the right response, since I knew the elysian fields.

Going on vacation? Nope. (Both in terms of my performance in the category AND the title of the category itself.)

For years and years back when I was little in the 80s, my dad had audio tapes in the back seat of Isak Dinsen's Out of Africa. I knew she was Danish. Weird way to get a clue, but I'll take it.

If J! is going to retain its TV-G rating (and if I am going to retain the homemade enchiladas I ate), they're going to have to STOP with clues like "Magic Mike Pompeo". :shock: That's a visual I think nobody wants.

Surprised I swept HALL MONITOR, especially when I could swear there were no DHs in the hall of fame...but no other position fit "non-defensive", so I ran with it. As a Bostonian, I'm glad those two got in - paves the way for Big Papi David Ortiz to celebrate...with A LUNCH!

If I responded "Who is an owl?", would Alex chuckle? Who knows...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:18 pm Just a few thoughts on this game:
b) Anyone else identify the source of the quote about reigning in hell vs. serving in heaven because of having seen the conversation between Khan Noonian Singh (Ricardo Montalban) and Captain Kirk on board the bridge of the Enterprise in "Space Seed?"
Watching that episode right now on the Heroes & Icons channel. Quite coincidental that it's airing right after that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought of AK and HI right away but didn’t think the NW passage fit. So I went with ME and NH as nothing else came to me.

Another vote against the posing. I never liked Austin’s schtick, either.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:20 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 pm 'slake' for $400 with 'quench' as very strong negbait? I bet TPH is going to have something to say about this...
I answered "quench" and marked it wrong, but looking it up with Dr. Google, quench DOES come from old English. Judges? There's some proto-Germanic before the old English, but honestly, if I drove from home to the mall and then to the movie theater (remember when we did that?), it wouldn't be wrong to say I came "from the mall". I'm clawing back my Coryat, unless someone gives me a good reason, especially since "quench" sounds Welsh-ish to me.
You prompted me to look up the etymology of 'quench' and I concur, I'm giving myself credit unless someone knows of a good reason why it doesn't fit the clue.

Poll request for quench vs. slake.....
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Obviously Jenna hasn't seen the Herm Edwards clip. :|
The title of the category should've been Heaven and Hell :twisted:
WTF does Hawaii have to do with the Northwest Passage? :x
Last edited by DBear on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:29 am The way Meggie plays and reacts to things is exactly how one gets an invite back to the show for special events. All she has to do now is pad her resume to close the week.
I thought the same thing, and becoming just the second female teacher champ would only further help her case.

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:20 pm As a Bostonian, I'm glad those two got in - paves the way for Big Papi David Ortiz to celebrate...with A LUNCH!
I can't wait for that day to come...
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Add me to the "quench" list

And I like the posing, I might pose when I'm on. Alex seems to enjoy it as well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:33 pm I thought of AK and HI right away but didn’t think the NW passage fit. So I went with ME and NH as nothing else came to me.
I went with ME and MA because I figured the NH coast is easy to miss. But afterwards I realized we were both in the wrong part of the world. There was no first AMERICAN to land in any part of New England. People landed there first and THEN became Americans. Unless you slipped out of the midwife's hands and plopped on the floor, you didn't land there as an American.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:20 pm
I answered "quench" and marked it wrong, but looking it up with Dr. Google, quench DOES come from old English. Judges?
Concur. I got slake and didn't even think of quench, but it seems to fit just as well. I wonder if they had it as also correct on Alex's card. If someone had answered it and got negged, that'd be a definite reversal.

I agree with the poll request. I'm not sure why slake occurred to me first and quench not at all.