Tuesday, June 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

I thought of AK and HI right away and quickly dismissed them... :oops: I should have paid more attention to "last voyage" in the clue than to "NW Passage." (Though come to think of it, a comma after "last voyage" would have clarified that it was his last voyage of all...) If you know Cook died in HI that gives you 1 of the 2 states, and I'm sure I would have paired it with AK. But HI just seemed so far away from any putative Northwest Passage.... :roll: I ended up with WA and OR...
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

RE: why was Cook in Hawaii if he was looking for the Northwest Passage?

Well, first of all, finding the Northwest Passage wasn't the only objective of that voyage. His instructions included checking out the southern Indian Ocean, returning to Tahiti, *and* looking for the western end of the NWP.

So, you can't hardly get to the western end of the NWP from England by way of Tahiti without going through the central Pacific. And once there it's pretty easy to stumble on Hawaii.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Foretopman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:36 pm RE: why was Cook in Hawaii if he was looking for the Northwest Passage?
Same reason the drunk guy was looking for his keys under the streetlamp.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:16 pm Finally done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6680

When you know you are probably not going to get it right?
Spoiler
Dunno, the reaction to the Paradise Lost DD was also "uh oh" but worked out.
John Boy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:18 pm Q: What's the fastest animal on earth?
A (they always say): The Cheetah!

...to which the answer is...no, it's the cow that's been pushed out of a helicopter.

(feel free to steal it; I did)
First thing I thought to do: https://www.google.com/search?q=terminal+velocity+of+a+cow
Turns out someone did the math...mostly. Safe to say even without the assumptions it'd break three digits passing the cheetah.

Then I'd have to say, no, it's the cow attached to the bullet train: the train's on earth, the helicopter is above it and when the cow is finally on earth, it has a speed of zero.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Alaska and Hawaii were my first thought... was my first thought... My first thought comprised Alaska and Hawaii. I was trying to square Hawaii with a NW Passage search when my dad said Alaska and Washington, and I decided to agree with him. I think I'd have stuck to my first thought otherwise, and I'm going to count a get in the poll, because I want to.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:24 pm I thought of AK and HI right away and quickly dismissed them... :oops: I should have paid more attention to "last voyage" in the clue than to "NW Passage." (Though come to think of it, a comma after "last voyage" would have clarified that it was his last voyage of all...) If you know Cook died in HI that gives you 1 of the 2 states, and I'm sure I would have paired it with AK. But HI just seemed so far away from any putative Northwest Passage.... :roll: I ended up with WA and OR...
It was between those two pairs for me, but I settled on the right one.

"...one of the only" bugs me.

"Sate" is also from the Anglo-Saxon. I guess it refers more often to eating than to drinking, but it still feels like a loose clue.

I wasn't sure if the temporal lobe was the one left behind on earth when you go to heaven, or the one you shed once your adult brain grows in. But this "temporal" is etymologically unrelated, I now know. I still don't understand the clue. "...named for its location in relation to the size of the head". Does that make sense?
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:51 pm I wasn't sure if the temporal lobe was the one left behind on earth when you go to heaven, or the one you shed once your adult brain grows in. But this "temporal" is etymologically unrelated, I now know. I still don't understand the clue. "...named for its location in relation to the size of the head". Does that make sense?
I think that it was "the side of the head," Archive notwithstanding.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:53 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:51 pm I wasn't sure if the temporal lobe was the one left behind on earth when you go to heaven, or the one you shed once your adult brain grows in. But this "temporal" is etymologically unrelated, I now know. I still don't understand the clue. "...named for its location in relation to the size of the head". Does that make sense?
I'm hearing "sides" which the CC-person mistook for "size". Easy mistake.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:09 pm
I've changed it to "sides". Thanks. Reason number X to the whatever power I'm no fan of Clue Crew clues from the archiving point of view.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I liked that FJ. I feel like it's fairly common knowledge that Cook was killed in Hawaii, so that's got to be one of the two. And since the voyage was looking for the NW Passage, Alaska is the other obvious choice.

I said Karen Blixen for the question about her. The clue didn't specify it needed her pen name, did it?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:15 pm
I've changed it to "sides". Thanks. Reason number X to the whatever power I'm no fan of Clue Crew clues from the archiving point of view.
Reason number X to the whatever I'm not a fan of video clues not always having the question text overlaid for home viewing. The contestants still have it, I think?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I will personally admit I had no idea the Champs-Elysees was French for the Elysian Fields. I always love learning these little nuggets.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Yeah, I thought it was likelier "sides," but they only showed one side of the head so I played it overly safe.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:51 pm
davey wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:24 pm I thought of AK and HI right away and quickly dismissed them... :oops: I should have paid more attention to "last voyage" in the clue than to "NW Passage." (Though come to think of it, a comma after "last voyage" would have clarified that it was his last voyage of all...) If you know Cook died in HI that gives you 1 of the 2 states, and I'm sure I would have paired it with AK. But HI just seemed so far away from any putative Northwest Passage.... :roll: I ended up with WA and OR...
It was between those two pairs for me, but I settled on the right one.

"...one of the only" bugs me.

"Sate" is also from the Anglo-Saxon. I guess it refers more often to eating than to drinking, but it still feels like a loose clue.

I wasn't sure if the temporal lobe was the one left behind on earth when you go to heaven, or the one you shed once your adult brain grows in. But this "temporal" is etymologically unrelated, I now know. I still don't understand the clue. "...named for its location in relation to the size of the head". Does that make sense?
"Temporal" as in "near your temples". You know, where you massage your head when you want to look like you have a headache or want to look like you're concentrating? Below that is your temporal bone (and temporal artery). Above and behind your eyes, basically. It's also the "temporal" of "temporal-mandibular joint", known for the pain of TMJ disorder. And it definitely was "sides", not "size".
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I'm in the Quench camp... And I went with WA/OR on FJ!. :(

And, Hoops Dreams was a layup. :mrgreen: At least it was for me... But then, I'm almost undoubtedly the biggest high-school hoops fan on this forum, and it's probably not even close... I go to well over 100 high-school games a season. I follow three Eastbay (Calif) teams very closely, and pick-n-choose other games when I have a night free.

So I certainly made sure I rented the movie when it hit video... Would have gone to a theatre to see it new if it had played anywhere near me.

It's a great movie for the hoops fan and is certainly basketball-centric, but the real story is how these two kids battle their way thru the Chicago ghetto scene. drugs, violence, gangs, all that... And survive the ordeal. A memorable scene showed just how big a deal it was in one of the families for their kid to actually HAVE an 18th birthday.
davey

Post by davey »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:53 am I'm in the Quench camp... And I went with WA/OR on FJ!. :(

And, Hoops Dreams was a layup.
If that's what you called it, it bounced off the rim... :cry:
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:33 pm I said Karen Blixen for the question about her. The clue didn't specify it needed her pen name, did it?
It didn’t, but Blixen was in the clue so I don’t know if they would’ve taken that. Seems quite possible to have gotten a prompt or a pause from Alex in which case I hope you can come up with Dinesen on the spot.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:42 am
Rackme32 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:53 am I'm in the Quench camp... And I went with WA/OR on FJ!. :(

And, Hoops Dreams was a layup.
If that's what you called it, it bounced off the rim... :cry:
:lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:33 pm I said Karen Blixen for the question about her. The clue didn't specify it needed her pen name, did it?
It didn’t, but Blixen was in the clue so I don’t know if they would’ve taken that. Seems quite possible to have gotten a prompt or a pause from Alex in which case I hope you can come up with Dinesen on the spot.
Not sure how they couldn't taken her real name, though, unless the clue specifically asked for her pen name. I know it's common practice to not have part of the correct response in the clue wording unless it's in quotes, but I don't think it's actually codified.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

Was I the only one who thought Alex gave Meggie a l-o-n-g time to come up with "Paradise Lost"?