Tuesday, June 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:47 am
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:33 pm I said Karen Blixen for the question about her. The clue didn't specify it needed her pen name, did it?
It didn’t, but Blixen was in the clue so I don’t know if they would’ve taken that. Seems quite possible to have gotten a prompt or a pause from Alex in which case I hope you can come up with Dinesen on the spot.
Not sure how they couldn't taken her real name, though, unless the clue specifically asked for her pen name. I know it's common practice to not have part of the correct response in the clue wording unless it's in quotes, but I don't think it's actually codified.
I'm not arguing the point, as it's completely irrelevant and we will never know. I'm simply saying, if they wrote a clue that said "She married Ari Onassis in 1968", they are probably not looking for "Who is Jackie Onassis?". It's true providing the first name adds information not in the clue, but in most cases, a last name is required to identify a person and giving the one already in the clue is rarely going to be enough, so they probably want Jackie Kennedy (or Bouvier).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:33 pm I said Karen Blixen for the question about her. The clue didn't specify it needed her pen name, did it?
It didn’t, but Blixen was in the clue so I don’t know if they would’ve taken that. Seems quite possible to have gotten a prompt or a pause from Alex in which case I hope you can come up with Dinesen on the spot.
Not sure how they couldn't taken her real name, though, unless the clue specifically asked for her pen name. I know it's common practice to not have part of the correct response in the clue wording unless it's in quotes, but I don't think it's actually codified.
I'm not arguing the point, as it's completely irrelevant and we will never know. I'm simply saying, if they wrote a clue that said "She married Ari Onassis in 1968", they are probably not looking for "Who is Jackie Onassis?". It's true providing the first name adds information not in the clue, but in most cases, a last name is required to identify a person and giving the one already in the clue is rarely going to be enough, so they probably want Jackie Kennedy (or Bouvier).
Yes, I totally agree that Isak Dinesen is the response they were looking for, it just seems like they'd really have to accept Karen Blixen (or Jackie Onassis in your example). It seems sort of indefensible for the show to take the position that they were looking for a specific name that a person went by unless there was something specific in the wording.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 pm
But I think there have been times when they've given a husband's complete name (ie Ronald Reagan) and asked for the wife's first name (Nancy Reagan accepted, Reagan not accepted, and Davis not even considered but probably accepted.) And the first name in that case is required, as it is for Brontes and Curies, in clues where you can either easily mix up the people, or where they already gave the last name.

Makes me wonder where the Clintons fall on this spectrum. If the clue is "She was a senator from New York in the early 2000s", it's pretty obvious Bill isn't a viable option - and even if Chelsea might be in the news occasionally, I don't think you should have to specify Hillary for that clue. And "He was POTUS from 1993-2001" is definitely Bill.

While the rule is "last name is generally sufficient", there are exceptions, and I think common sense generally rules. I would imagine that Alex's answer sheet notes whether a first name is mandatory or not, so there's no ambiguity....while it might create occasional inconsistencies from year-to-year, it's not unfair to any one particular contestant.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:18 pm Q: What's the fastest animal on earth?
A (they always say): The Cheetah!

...to which the answer is...no, it's the cow that's been pushed out of a helicopter.

(feel free to steal it; I did)
A whole new meaning for "terminal velocity".
OCSam
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DavidRosen wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:59 am Was I the only one who thought Alex gave Meggie a l-o-n-g time to come up with "Paradise Lost"?
No, you aren't. I kept waiting at least for the prompt much earlier.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:45 pm
DavidRosen wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:59 am Was I the only one who thought Alex gave Meggie a l-o-n-g time to come up with "Paradise Lost"?
No, you aren't. I kept waiting at least for the prompt much earlier.
I don't know what the rules are and I've never timed one of these before, but that was 8 full seconds of silence before Alex prompted her. 9 seconds between the end of the clue and the beginning of Meggie's response.
davey

Post by davey »

Yes, and it bothered me until Jenna got about as much time on her DD. In both cases, it was around 10 seconds.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:37 pm
Yes, and it bothered me until Jenna got about as much time on her DD. In both cases, it was around 10 seconds.
Good catch. I hadn't thought to check the other DDs. Both seem to get exactly the same amount of time before Alex's prompt--around 8 seconds by my clock--and take a second or so after to begin a response. For the third DD, Meggie shrugs and gives a guess after two or three seconds. She's got the game sewed up anyway, so no real point in agonizing.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed Hall Monitor $1000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Bight, Tip-off, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Isak Dinesen/Karen Blixen, Temporal Lobe, Tax, (Thomas Jefferson), (Hoop Dreams)
Douglas Squasoni
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:43 pm

...to which the answer is...no, it's the cow that's been pushed out of a helicopter.

First thing I thought to do: https://www.google.com/search?q=terminal+velocity+of+a+cow
Turns out someone did the math...mostly. Safe to say even without the assumptions it'd break three digits passing the cheetah.

Then I'd have to say, no, it's the cow attached to the bullet train: the train's on earth, the helicopter is above it and when the cow is finally on earth, it has a speed of zero.
Jeez. Way to kill a joke, man! :roll: :roll:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Not to mention "ground beef."
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:21 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Not to mention "ground beef."
:lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:19 am
Volante wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:43 pm

First thing I thought to do: https://www.google.com/search?q=terminal+velocity+of+a+cow
Turns out someone did the math...mostly. Safe to say even without the assumptions it'd break three digits passing the cheetah.

Then I'd have to say, no, it's the cow attached to the bullet train: the train's on earth, the helicopter is above it and when the cow is finally on earth, it has a speed of zero.
Jeez. Way to kill a joke, man! :roll: :roll:
I just tossed that joke right out of the helicopter. And I thought jokes could fly...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 pm I just tossed that joke right out of the helicopter. As God is my witness, I thought jokes could fly...
FTFY
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I finally realized how I got FJ!!

I knew right away that Cook had gone to HI, and, somehow, buried deep in my head was the fact that there's a feature on Alaska's coast called Cook Inlet. I'm sure I looked it up many years back since my father's (his bday today, btw) first duty station after the academy was Portland ME on a ship named the Cook Inlet.
OCSam