Thursday, June 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, June 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, June 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOTABLE BRITS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On this man’s death in a 1935 motorcycle accident, Churchill said, his "pace of life was faster & more intense than the ordinary"

Ben Henri: 15000-7500=7500
Meggie Kwait: 13600-6000=7600
Will Satterwhite: 12000-6000=6000

Correct response:
Spoiler
T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) (Ben – Davidson) (Meggie – Aston-Martin) (Will – Chamberlain)

Daily Doubles
Will: 800-1000
Meggie: 7600-7600
Will: 9600+4400

Coryats
Ben Henri: 15000
Meggie Kwait: 21200
Will: 9400

Combined: 45,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ben: 4600
Meggie: 4400
Will: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The players had fun with their introductions with a little pantomime work. They are loose and happy to be in the finals; it shows.

Where the teachers needed to tighten their game was big clues as 1/6 doesn't cut it in the finals. My percentage was a little better with 2/4.

Fortunately, one of my gets was the FJ! clue as that was as insta as could be compared to some previous times I've missed clues about the guy.

Alex had it right with his reaction, "Don't tell me we caught you guys with this one."

I would have lost money betting on the success pattern as 0/3 did not seem possible until I watched the players staring at it without writing. When Meggie scribbled furiously at the end I thought she had the aha light bulb.

Okay, today was more or less meaningless and tomorrow will determine winner. Fine, that's happened before in a finals. Meggie was the best on the buzzer once again and too bad for her that 21200 Coryat only came to 7600 on her score total.

However tomorrow goes down I would like to see the winner advancing on a correct response in the FJ! round and not another triple miss leading to a random mess of whoever has the most money remaining.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Yeah, I've missed this enough times to finally get it today. It's a perfect example of Jeopardy Canon, a fact that they love, especially for FJ, that they go to the well for over and over. (And don't forget either that he confuse him with DH Lawrence, who lived in New Mexico.)

ETA: I stand corrected.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:50 am Yeah, I've missed this enough times to finally get it today. It's a perfect example of Jeopardy Canon, a fact that they love, especially for FJ, that they go to the well for over and over. (And don't forget either that he lived in New Mexico.)
TIL...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:50 am Yeah, I've missed this enough times to finally get it today. It's a perfect example of Jeopardy Canon, a fact that they love, especially for FJ, that they go to the well for over and over. (And don't forget either that he lived in New Mexico.)
The Lawrence who lived in New Mexico was D.H. Lawrence, the author of Lady Chatterly's Lover.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

I believe there’s a grand total of two notable people who have perished in a motorcycle crash. I’d guess that if you asked 50 boardies to name one, about 35 would say Lawrence, about 8 would say Allman, and the rest kicking themselves for blanking on something they knew.

Given that two answers were last name only, I would say TPTB did not prompt for a first name as well. Therefore simply Lawrence would be acceptable, although perhaps it shouldn’t be.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:46 pm
The Lawrence who lived in New Mexico was D.H. Lawrence, the author of Lady Chatterly's Lover.
Sheesh. Guess what my J-Archive search term was? Thanks for the update.
Leander

Post by Leander »

All they needed to do is watch the movie...and just the first 10 minutes.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $38,400 (48R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :( never knew that tidbit

Guessed Rolls for FJ, knowing vaguely that he died in an accident. Turns out it was an airplane accident. In 1910.

Two Wheel puzzles from tonight were correct responses in the J! episode: Wicked Witch of the West and Freddy Krueger. I wonder how often that happens.

Pulling for Meggie to take it home tomorrow. She's fun to watch.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:52 pm Done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6684

Only 1 TS
Well... two actually. I got both of them right. That gives me $1600 from the fourth podium. 8-)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Nope, no clue on FJ!. The only thing I could recall even tangentially was "that woman who got her scarf tangled in a car door", which was Isadora Duncan. Complete blank. Should have gone to the well of J! having multiple ways for an answer - in this case, the straight history of T.E. Lawrence, or the movie.

Was the intonation of "parkour" a reference to the Office meme? I got that, but because of a silly game show that was made about 10 years ago. It was basically laser tag in closed Universal Studios amusement park - people had to reach a checkpoint in a given time limit, and avoid "hunters". One of the hunters was an expert in parkour.

I got to just plain "Carrie" on the Sex and the City clue. I assume they accept "Chandler" and "Monica", so would Carrie be okay? I'd get it after a BMS - it just took me long to get to Carrie before the contestant blurted it out because I went to Samantha first.

I felt like this game was tougher, but it really wasn't, with the exception of the FJ!. I imagine they put one of the harder FJ! clues for the two weeks in this episode, so that it makes this game worth a little bit less, and thus keeps the suspense going for tomorrow. Looks like it worked.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

The Denver affiliate derped & aired yesterday's episode again.
:D :( :D on DDs. Matched Meggie w/inflation.
Lawrence of Arabia continues to remain a blind spot. Guessed Montgomery for FJ. :(
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:16 pm I felt like this game was tougher, but it really wasn't, with the exception of the FJ!. I imagine they put one of the harder FJ! clues for the two weeks in this episode, so that it makes this game worth a little bit less, and thus keeps the suspense going for tomorrow. Looks like it worked.
I predict this FJ will poll over 80% here. It was not difficult.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:50 am Yeah, I've missed this enough times to finally get it today. It's a perfect example of Jeopardy Canon, a fact that they love, especially for FJ, that they go to the well for over and over.
Same. Apparently Lawrence's death helped lead to the invention of the motorcycle helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYcZUSknEUc
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:50 am(And don't forget either that he confuse him with DH Lawrence, who lived in New Mexico.)
I don't quite make that mistake, but do sometimes call him T.H., instead of the correct T.E.. I just stick with "... of Arabia" when possible, like tonight. :)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Yep, that Final is one of those "If you're gonna be on the show, this is a nugget they like to use and should know"

If it wasn't for me overthinking Monday, I'd be sitting at 4/4 for the week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:19 pm I believe there’s a grand total of two notable people who have perished in a motorcycle crash. I’d guess that if you asked 50 boardies to name one, about 35 would say Lawrence, about 8 would say Allman, and the rest kicking themselves for blanking on something they knew.

Given that two answers were last name only, I would say TPTB did not prompt for a first name as well. Therefore simply Lawrence would be acceptable, although perhaps it shouldn’t be.
Pete Conrad, third man to walk on the moon, also died in a motorcycle accident.