Friday, June 5, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 5, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:19 pm
pinkfreud wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:03 pm
talkingaway wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:12 pm Do they accept "the Scottish play" for "Macbeth"? What if they get an actor on the show?
I have a background in amateur theater. During my orientation in the Green Room, someone (not me) asked Maggie whether "the Scottish play" would be accepted for "Macbeth." She laughed and said that Alex would probably say "be more specific." The correct response to my own FJ turned out to be "Lady Macbeth." Want to bet that if I'd gotten cute and written "who is the Lady in the Scottish Play?" I would have gotten a laugh and a loss?
I expect Alex would accept it (not for the character or Lady Macbeth), but I hope he'd scoff at the silly superstition - which in any case, only applies in the theater...not in a TV studio.
Maybe he wouldn't scoff...in this game he used the euphemism himself...Oh, Alex!
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ttish+play+
There were supposedly some mishaps on the set of the 1987 horror film Opera, which contained cuts of Verdi's Macbeth....so soundstages are not immune! Muahahaha!

But, yeah, I'm not superstitious. But knowing cultural traditions is important - and the superstition has been referenced in J! clues just earlier this season.

In fact, my original question has almost been answered:

www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4444

#6792, aired 2014-03-11 GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADWAY $1600: Before midnight, the stage ran red as Ethan Hawke opened as this tragic thane in 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq1qORZm4W4

Arthur Chu gives both responses, and says it's bad luck (because he's a v.o. artist).
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:29 pm Any judges have a problem with my response of birling for challenging Pat?
My response as well, so you've got my vote.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:45 pm
In fact, my original question has almost been answered:

www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4444

#6792, aired 2014-03-11 GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADWAY $1600: Before midnight, the stage ran red as Ethan Hawke opened as this tragic thane in 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq1qORZm4W4

Arthur Chu gives both responses, and says it's bad luck (because he's a v.o. artist).
If he hadn't added that, he would have been wrong, since the clue asked for the character.
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:56 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:29 pm Any judges have a problem with my response of birling for challenging Pat?
Yes, it's correct, but were they alluding to the metaphorical use of logrolling as well, outdoing each other with praise?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Nice performance by Ben tonight. He managed to outbuzz Meggie in a number of clues and that made the difference in the game. I precalled Gulliver and Robinson Crusoe but doubted that the latter would be a clue so close to using it in another FJ. Even so, FJ wasn’t quite an Instaget.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

What a finish!

Considering yesterday's game had nobody getting FJ! right, and the fact that the game was extremely close, it could have been anybody's game at that point. However, like in sports, there's a difference in improvement to playing the same people twice. The first time, there's usually a bit of nerves to playing in the finals, where you feel like you know you have to figure out how you're going to approach it. The second time, this is where strategy comes into play, and what you're going to do differently than the first time.

Meggie looked like she had her foot on the gas for most of the first round, but unfortunately, hit into some bad luck with 4 negs in DJ, and allowing both Will and Ben to catch up to her and making the game much more entertaining. Meggie hit a 11-clue drought until she got the $2,000 clue in Physics Glossary. After that, she hit three negs totaling $3,200 after getting another $2,000 clue right in the Publishers category. Meggie's neg on the $800 clue proved devastating, allowing Ben to control the game and Will bridging the gap.

Will kind of had the right idea to go for the farm, and hoped Meggie and Ben negged, but that didn't happen. That photo finish from Ben though...wow. He must be drained from the way this ended. Great win for Ben, although, wasn't pretty. He had to do it the hard way to win.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Started keeping track of my stats with j-scorer for this tourney.
Averages per game:
Coryat- $19,920
Correct- 28.5
Incorrect- 7.4
DDs- 22/30
FJ- 7/10
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:42 pm Nice performance by Ben tonight. He managed to outbuzz Meggie in a number of clues and that made the difference in the game. I precalled Gulliver and Robinson Crusoe but doubted that the latter would be a clue so close to using it in another FJ. Even so, FJ wasn’t quite an Instaget.
I precalled Robinson Crusoe and thought I'd scored a hit for a few seconds once the clue was revealed. But I recovered in plenty of time to pick the novel where the shipwrecked protagonist travels to multiple lands.

Seems like the list of precalls for 18th CENTURY NOVELS would be rather short. Gulliver's Travels, Robinson Crusoe, Moll Flanders, Tristram Shandy, The Vicar of Wakefield, Candide. Maybe keep in mind Tom Jones, Joseph Andrews, Clarissa, Pamela, Rasselas, The Castle of Otranto, Les Liaisons dangereuses.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:29 pm
Any judges have a problem with my response of birling for challenging Pat?
Not here... Birling is the correct answer. Logrolling is a secondary correct answer.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:35 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:56 pm
Yes, it's correct, but were they alluding to the metaphorical use of logrolling as well, outdoing each other with praise?
Perhaps, but I'm not sure praising someone is a sport. Unless it's it's done in an arena full of sycofans cheering them on.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:33 pm Perhaps, but I'm not sure praising someone is a sport. Unless it's it's done in an arena full of sycofans cheering them on.
Love the misspelling.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Chalamet and Lena Durham.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: War Democrats, Nevada, Patagonia, The Last Judgement
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:26 pm 56 R (Missed Chalamet and Lena Durham.)
And you missed it again: it's Dunham. ;)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:45 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:33 pm Perhaps, but I'm not sure praising someone is a sport. Unless it's it's done in an arena full of sycofans cheering them on.
Love the misspelling.
Adaptation of an old family joke that came from installing a ceiling fan with my brother many years ago. Ceiling fans either "blow down" or "suck up." We decided setting one was fan, setting two was.....
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

I seem to recall a discussion a few days ago where one of the players was allowed to answer Hepburn without identifying which one. So I guess it was okay for Ben to answer Arkin without identifying it was the father, Alan, not the son Adam.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Charming wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:43 pm I seem to recall a discussion a few days ago where one of the players was allowed to answer Hepburn without identifying which one. So I guess it was okay for Ben to answer Arkin without identifying it was the father, Alan, not the son Adam.
I forgot about that? Yeah, Mrs P and I both thought that was bogus. Are they going to start accepting "Who is Belushi" next? "Who is Fonda?" I disagree with the Hepburn decision as well. And Roosevelt and even Johnson.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 pm
Charming wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:43 pm I seem to recall a discussion a few days ago where one of the players was allowed to answer Hepburn without identifying which one. So I guess it was okay for Ben to answer Arkin without identifying it was the father, Alan, not the son Adam.
I forgot about that? Yeah, Mrs P and I both thought that was bogus. Are they going to start accepting "Who is Belushi" next? "Who is Fonda?" I disagree with the Hepburn decision as well. And Roosevelt and even Johnson.
Gonna have to disagree on Arkin; Adam just isn't J! canon level.
He's been clue material twice (never response) and the one time it actually took knowledge of his work, it was a TS.

Jim Belushi feels trickier. Like, now maybe not so much, but during the According to Jim days, definitely. He's got that between "pile of sand" and "not a pile of sand" feel as canon.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 pm
I think when it is close to someone who is a contemporary or almost contemporary if there is someone else with the same last name the first would be required. For some reason I will frequently blank on Audrey Hepburn's first name, but I know she is not Kathrine. As for Johnson, if it is in reference to Boswell's biography I don't see a problem with dropping the Dr. or Samuel from the answer. Depending on what part of their lives is in the clue I they should definitely require the first name for the Roosevelts and that includes Elinor. If the clue is about the Rough Riders. Roosevelt should be enough, but I'm not a judge.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Charming wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:53 am As for Johnson, if it is in reference to Boswell's biography I don't see a problem with dropping the Dr. or Samuel from the answer.
C. S. Lewis tells the story of taking the entrance exam for Oxford in 1916. The essay question they were set involved a quotation from Johnson. Lewis writes, "At the beginning of the morning a nice Harrovian had whispered to me, 'I don't even know if it's Sam or Ben.' In my innocence I explained to him that it was Sam and could not be Ben because Ben was spelled without an H. I did not think there could be any harm in giving away such information." But of course that information may have made the difference between whether that nice boy from Harrow got into Oxford or not. Seems to me that if even potential Oxonians can't necessarily identify the right Jo(h)nson*, that might also be true of Jeopardy! contestants.

---------------
* Hey! You in the back! Stop snickering. I swear, sometimes I wonder what's going on in your infantile minds and most of the time I think I'm glad I don't know.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:00 pm Seems to me that if even potential Oxonians can't necessarily identify the right Jo(h)nson*, that might also be true of Jeopardy! contestants.

---------------
* Hey! You in the back! Stop snickering. I swear, sometimes I wonder what's going on in your infantile minds and most of the time I think I'm glad I don't know.
I, who did not snicker, appreciate your choice in phrasing; "can't necessarily keep their Jo(h)nsons straight" probably would have gotten me.