TPH poll for week of 6/1

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which did you get right?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:29 pm

6/1, U.S. Government $400: The prosecutors in a Senate impeachment trial are called the "House" these
37%
6/1, Pop Music $400: The hive was buzzing in 2019 when she released her live album "Homecoming"
69%
6/2, Hall Monitor $200: In 2019 Abby Wambach was inducted into the national hall of fame for this sport
80%
6/2, Going on Vacation $200: This country's Amalfi Coast never fails to impress
71%
6/2, Greatest Hits from the Supremes $400: In McCulloch v. Maryland, John Marshall wrote, "The power to" do this 3-letter verb "involves the power to destroy"
20%
6/3, Let's Look at Some Math $800: Conjure up this name for a grid in which the numbers add up to the same total in each column, row and main diagonal
63%
6/3, Hot Stuff $400: In the 1930s Solomon Harper invented the electric curlers now called "hot" these
39%
6/4, World Flags $400: Nigeria & Saudi Arabia both have flags of these 2 colors
73%
6/4, Brother $400: Until a fatal car accident in 1994, Basil, not brother Bashar, was heir to father Hafez al-Assad as this country's leader
75%
6/5, Just Deserts $400: Home to Burning Man, Black Rock Desert is in the northwest part of this state
73%
6/5, Other Sports $400: hereby challenge Pat Sajak to this sport where we'll attempt to stay on a spinning piece of floating wood
81%

Total votes: 75

TenPoundHammer

TPH poll for week of 6/1

Post by TenPoundHammer »

There were a lot of clues that caught my attention this week, so I thought I'd make my own poll again. Doing it now so that none get accidentally duplicated on the weekly poll.

For the record, the only one of these that I got was the Pop Music one.

6/1, U.S. Government $400: The prosecutors in a Senate impeachment trial are called the "House" these

6/1, Pop Music $400: The hive was buzzing in 2019 when she released her live album "Homecoming"

6/2, Hall Monitor $200: In 2019 Abby Wambach was inducted into the national hall of fame for this sport

6/2, Going on Vacation $200: This country's Amalfi Coast never fails to impress

6/2, Greatest Hits from the Supremes $400: In McCulloch v. Maryland, John Marshall wrote, "The power to" do this 3-letter verb "involves the power to destroy"

6/3, Let's Look at Some Math $800: Conjure up this name for a grid in which the numbers add up to the same total in each column, row and main diagonal

6/3, Hot Stuff $400: In the 1930s Solomon Harper invented the electric curlers now called "hot" these

6/4, World Flags $400: Nigeria & Saudi Arabia both have flags of these 2 colors

6/4, Brother $400: Until a fatal car accident in 1994, Basil, not brother Bashar, was heir to father Hafez al-Assad as this country's leader

6/5, Just Deserts $400: Home to Burning Man, Black Rock Desert is in the northwest part of this state

6/5, Other Sports $400: I hereby challenge Pat Sajak to this sport where we'll attempt to stay on a spinning piece of floating wood

====

Correct responses:
Spoiler
managers
Beyoncé
soccer
Italy
tax
magic square
rollers
green & white
Syria
log rolling
Nevada
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TPH poll for week of 6/1

Post by talkingaway »

1: "House managers" was quite common on any cable news network at the end of 2019 during the impeachment trial. It took me awhile to dig this one up, probably because of COVID-brain...2019 seems two decades ago.

2: "bee-hive" or "Bey-hive" is a common nickname for Beyonce's fans. NHO "Homecoming", but I YOLOed and got it.

3: Just a name I happen to know from watching news.

4: Cruise took me to Italy.

5: No clue.

6: I was a math geek as a kid. YEKIOYD, but the "conjure" helps you with the right wording.

7: Had the same neg of "hot iron" instead of "hot rollers". I guess "flat iron" would be dead wrong, since I -think- they flatten your hair. I don't use either.

8: Nope, not a vexillologist.

9: For some reason, Middle Eastern dictators and their countries always trip me up.

10: Clammed, but guessed Nevada. Knew it was out west.

11: Yeah, Sajak was a weird addition to that clue. Didn't distract me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

4 I did not get: double gov., math, and stuff for the hair
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Got all but hot curlers and Beyonce. But at least I didn't blurt "Samantha Bee" in desperation.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Missed "tax" and "Nevada" (I thought Utah, for some odd reason).
Leander

Post by Leander »

Missed tax, the math and the curlers. Likely would have missed the impeachment one if not for the events last year.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Would not have guessed "tax" would poll so low...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm not surprised. The "tax" clue seems pretty opaque to me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Yeah, there were too many possibilities to run through on the "tax" clue and I didn't hit on the right one in time. Maybe on a DD I'd get it, but I can also see spinning my wheels for 8 seconds and blurting out "What is die?" for lack of a better 3-letter word. On the other hand, McCulloch v. Maryland is one of the most important Supreme Court cases ever and I'm disappointed that I couldn't call to mind the basic issue involved--federal vs state authority. The specifics involved a Maryland TAX on notes from the national bank, so remembering the basic issue might not have led me to the correct 3-letter word. Still. Marbury, McCullough, Dred Scott, Plessy, Brown, Miranda, Loving, Roe. I probably forgot a few, but those are basic.

On another note, Abby Wambach's polling at 79%, so I think we'll concede that she's not an unfair top-box choice--maybe tougher than average there, but not out of place.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Missed hot rollers (no idea), Nevada (clammed, but guessed California) and tax (couldn’t come up with anything I was confident in).

I’m most surprised that House managers is polling so low.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Missed tax and hot rollers. The other clues seemed fairly pedestrian.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I missed Italy, tax, and flag colors. I was about to come up with Beyoncé when the player said it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Clammed on Beyonce :roll: , Italy :| , & rollers :?
I am not at all surprised that tax is polling so low. :(
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I clammed on managers, tax, and rollers, and got everything else.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nothing like a 6-hour plus Internet outage on a Saturday. I'll start working on the weekly poll now and get it up before 9. [Fingers crossed]
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Missed "managers" "soccer" and "tax"

I'd never heard of Abby Wambach before
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:25 pm Yeah, there were too many possibilities to run through on the "tax" clue and I didn't hit on the right one in time. Maybe on a DD I'd get it, but I can also see spinning my wheels for 8 seconds and blurting out "What is die?" for lack of a better 3-letter word. On the other hand, McCulloch v. Maryland is one of the most important Supreme Court cases ever and I'm disappointed that I couldn't call to mind the basic issue involved--federal vs state authority. The specifics involved a Maryland TAX on notes from the national bank, so remembering the basic issue might not have led me to the correct 3-letter word. Still. Marbury, McCullough, Dred Scott, Plessy, Brown, Miranda, Loving, Roe. I probably forgot a few, but those are basic.

On another note, Abby Wambach's polling at 79%, so I think we'll concede that she's not an unfair top-box choice--maybe tougher than average there, but not out of place.
I remember "power to tax is the power to destroy" got a lot of airplay during the initial rise of Grover Norquist and the antitax movement. He tried to turn it around to something like, "the power to prevent taxation was the power to reduce government" or some such, but that never caught on like "strangle it a bathtub."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.