Season 36/GOAT Thoughts

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Season 36/GOAT Thoughts

Post by gameshowfandanny »

This thread is to talk about moments that happened during Season 36 (and the GOAT tournament), which is ending this coming week. Feel free to share here what you thought of Season 36 and GOAT. Here are some notable things that happened:
Season 36:
September 2019: Jason Zuffranieri was the carryover champion from Season 35 and he finished his streak with 19 wins and became the third-highest regular-play winner and came close to tying the third-highest streak with Julia Collins. On September 19, we saw Adam Clark bet $4,133 on a Daily Double and he mentioned that it was the Eagles' Super Bowl victory score, though he did not come up with the correct response of "Centennial". Jason's run came to an end on September 26, after Gabe Brison-Trezise was the only person to come up with the Final Jeopardy! correct response of the "Sydney Opera House".
October 2019: We started off October with three-time champion Kevin Boettcher (unknown if he's related to Emma Boettcher). On October 4, Jeopardy! celebrated its 8,000th episode (the real 8,000th episode was May 24, 2019, but there's a 65 episode discrepancy count because the summer reruns were given new show numbers for Season 1). This episode had a category called "Salute to 8000". In the middle of October, Ed Condon won $42,600 in his second game. October 25 was Kris Prue's only win with $37,600. We ended October with three-time champion Steve Moulds.
November 2019: We had the Tournament of Champions this month. James and Francois each had runaways in their quarterfinal games. In the finals, we would have a rematch between with James and Emma. James won the grand prize of $250,000.
December 2019: We had an eight-time champion in this month named Jennifer Quail.
January 2020: Eight-time champion Karen Farrell continued her run after her first four games in December 2019. Veronica Vichit-Vadakan won four games.
February 2020: This month had an eight-time champion named MacKenzie Jones. She wagered $13,000 on a Daily Double in her first game, causing her to have a runaway.
March 2020: This month had five-time champion Paul Trifiletti.
April 2020: This month saw Nibir Sarma winning the College Championship.
May/June 2020: These months had the Teachers Tournament. Ben Henri won the $100,000 grand prize.

GOAT: This tournament had Ken, James, and Brad play against each other. In Match 1, Ken won by having an 11,800 point lead over James in the first game of that match. In Match 2, James won and set the new two-game total record (I think that was previously held by Elyse Mancuso, who won the 2012 Teen Tournament, taped in Washington, D.C.) with 82,414 points (Only James and Ken made it to Final Jeopardy! in the second game of that match). In Match 3, every player wagered everything on the first Final Jeopardy! and got it right, causing Ken to take a 24,000 point lead over James. In the second game, for the first time ever, James was in third place going into Final Jeopardy! with 7,400 points. James wrote down, "Who is the GHOST (Greatest Host of Syndicated TV)". He started to put Pat Sajak, but crossed it out and replaced it with Alex Trebek. Brad wrote, "Ken is the man!" in Spanish. After his response was revealed, Alex said that he'd like to welcome us to the "Jeopardy! comedy hour". Ken ended up winning the match. In Match 4, Ken had a big lead over James after the first game. At the beginning of the second game, as a joke, James said, "Hey Brad's score is still on there" because Brad had 0 points.In the second game, James found the last Daily Double. He bet all of his 20,200 points and came up with the correct response of Chad. After the Double Jeopardy! round ended, James had 44,000 points and Ken had 23,000 points. In Final Jeopardy!, Brad wrote, "You're the best, Alex!" and said that he should get credit for it, but he wagered nothing, so it didn't really matter. Ken came up with the correct response of Iago and also wagered nothing, breaking the record James set in Match 2 for highest two-game total with 88,600 points. James came up with Horatio and wagered all of his 44,000 points. This meant that Ken had won the tournament, a $1,000,000 cash prize, a trophy, and retained his spot as biggest game show winner, though Brad is still the biggest all-time Jeopardy! winner.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Season 36/GOAT Thoughts

Post by ParrotRob »

One thing that stands out to me about this season is the extraordinary number of female champions and superchampions. There have been plenty in the past for sure, but this year seemed to be the year of the women. Jennifer Quail, Karen Farrell, V-V-V, Mackenzie Jones, even Sarah Jett Rayburn and a few other 2- and 3- time champions.
--
Drowning in the pool
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's The Outchange.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

alietr wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:35 pm It's The Outchange.
You're not usually snarky, so I'm guessing I didn't get the joke.
Pending...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:06 pm
He's making fun of a poster who expresses himself in word salads, who really made himself known during a spate of female champions with a thread titled "An outchange for the worse in the 2014/2015 ToC?", in which his first post ended with the sentence "I ask of you, is the upcoming ToC gonna change a rift for the worse with the players that are in?" He (obviously) didn't exactly make things clear, but he seemed to find the female champ trend to be disturbing, and since then, "outchange" has become an inside joke when discussing women champs.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm just surprised that they're not going to use the extended summer hiatus to show all of Jason's 20 games since his long run was overshadowed by all of the Holzhauer hype.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:02 am
MollyQMurphy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:06 pm
He's making fun of a poster who expresses himself in word salads, who really made himself known during a spate of female champions with a thread titled "An outchange for the worse in the 2014/2015 ToC?", in which his first post ended with the sentence "I ask of you, is the upcoming ToC gonna change a rift for the worse with the players that are in?" He (obviously) didn't exactly make things clear, but he seemed to find the female champ trend to be disturbing, and since then, "outchange" has become an inside joke when discussing women champs.
Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. I genuinely appreciate not only the enlightenment, but the implied pushback.
Pending...