Monday, June 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cthulhu »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:05 pm Can't say I've heard of Steve Winwood or the song associated with him.
You play the organ, right? Steve Winwood is one of the greatest organists in rock - as well as being one of the best blue-eyed soul singers in rock, and a crackerjack guitarist too. Check out his classic organ and vocal parts on the Spencer Davis Group hits Gimme Some Loving and I’m A Man; his organ solo on the Traffic song Every Mother’s Son is splendiferous.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

cthulhu wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:24 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:05 pm Can't say I've heard of Steve Winwood or the song associated with him.
You play the organ, right? Steve Winwood is one of the greatest organists in rock - as well as being one of the best blue-eyed soul singers in rock, and a crackerjack guitarist too. Check out his classic organ and vocal parts on the Spencer Davis Group hits Gimme Some Loving and I’m A Man; his organ solo on the Traffic song Every Mother’s Son is splendiferous.
Once you said Traffic I suddenly remembered my mom and stepdad mentioning him. So yeah I am familiar with his work now, but I had to dig deeper than I should have to get the name out of my brain.

Also with church closed due to COVID-19, I've been doing my own guitar work a bit more.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:49 am
cthulhu wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:24 am
Once you said Traffic I suddenly remembered my mom and stepdad mentioning him. So yeah I am familiar with his work now, but I had to dig deeper than I should have to get the name out of my brain.

Also with church closed due to COVID-19, I've been doing my own guitar work a bit more.
I'm sure you've heard I'm a Man if you're a game show fan....a disco remix is one of the "new car" cues from The Price is Right.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump for today's rerun.
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

For the final - MLK is from Atlanta, I did the math to confirm GWTW.

I think most of the TS's were pointed out. I was surprised they were missed by all the contestants. I spent a good portion of the show yelling at the television.

Pet peeve time. I know they have gotten extremely careless with titles, but I think Morgan should have been dinged for leaving off "A" from A Raisin In the Sun.
davey

Post by davey »

Charming wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:37 pm For the final - MLK is from Atlanta, I did the math to confirm GWTW.

I think most of the TS's were pointed out. I was surprised they were missed by all the contestants. I spent a good portion of the show yelling at the television.

Pet peeve time. I know they have gotten extremely careless with titles, but I think Morgan should have been dinged for leaving off "A" from A Raisin In the Sun.
It's not carelessness. Allowing the omission of initial articles has long been an explicit rule on J!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:49 pm
Charming wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:37 pm For the final - MLK is from Atlanta, I did the math to confirm GWTW.

It's not carelessness. Allowing the omission of initial articles has long been an explicit rule on J!
*as long as it doesn't conflict with an existing title. AKA: (The) Invisible Man rule
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:52 pm

*as long as it doesn't conflict with an existing title. AKA: (The) Invisible Man rule
Yeah. That's part of the rule I don't care for. I would tolerate referring to the H.G. Wells work as Invisible Man, unless you say it's by Ralph Ellison. But I don't think you should be able to use the wrong initial article...Ellison's work is never The Invisible Man...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

cheezguyty wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:39 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 am The remind-alike game was easy today with Lindsay, as from moment one of her speaking (coupled with her appearance) it was Beth Behrs as Gemma Johnson on CBS's The Neighborhood.
I had two thoughts upon seeing the challengers introduced: that Lindsay looks like the blonde version of Season 34 champ Natalie Ballas...

Image Image
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:06 pm I am probably the only one here that immediately noticed that Tonya's last name is the largest city in Liechtenstein.
...and that Tonya's last name is the largest city in Liechtenstein.
...exactly the way a girl wants to be remembered, you silver-tongued devil!
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

Okay, but if my rusty brain properly recalls, it is a direct quote from the book. That is probably why it bothers me more than the frequently dropped the.
davey

Post by davey »

Charming wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:21 pm

Okay, but if my rusty brain properly recalls, it is a direct quote from the book. That is probably why it bothers me more than the frequently dropped the.
The clue asked for a title, not for a quote from the Langston Hughes poem "Harlem" ("A Dream Deferred'). Not that it makes a difference.