Tuesday, June 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Tuesday, June 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Missed Talk Show $1200 & $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Marlin, Fence, Crochet, Moonstruck, Man on the Moon, Virgin Mary, Op Art, Judy Chicago, Johnny Carson, Insanely, (Caribbean)
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:35 pm :D :D :D on DDs.
Couldn't remember who was from NH, guessed Polk on FJ.
At least there's a marginal relationship -- one of FP's campaign slogans was “We Polked You in ’44. We Shall Pierce You in ’52.”

Learned that from Bill Safire's book about the Nixon presidency. Found the slogan to be memorable because it was so ........ well, dumb.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:51 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:44 pm I know a Concord is in New Hampshire, I know Pierce was from New Hampshire, and yet I had my mind set from the outset that it couldn't be Pierce, and I lamely guessed John Adams.
I know, if you ask me, what the capital of New Hampshire is. And I know Pierce is our 14th president and the only one from New Hampshire. Yet somehow I saw "Concord" and thought "Lexington and Concord--must be someone from Massachusetts." So I went with John Q. Adams since he seemed marginally more likely than his dad (even though I knew he went on to be elected to the House of Representatives).
I also went with J.Q. Adams for about the same reasons. I didn't know I knew Pierce from New Hampshire until the reveal, when it was an "Oh, yeah, I guess he was."

Settled on J.Q. Adams because the only New Hampshire presidential connection I could make was Jed Bartlett. He was very much post-Civil War. And not obscure -- I saw him in a pharmaceutical commercial just last night.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm Seeing MARQUEE "MOON" as a category really makes me wish there was a RnR J!-Archive. That album by Television hasn't appeared on the regular show (as far as we know, of course), but I can imagine it having shown up on Probst's show.
It was a little bit much to hope that the category was about the album.
That category was an obvious reference to the Television album, but I wonder if "Cansplaining" was intended as a reference to the German experimental rock band: Can?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:32 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm Seeing MARQUEE "MOON" as a category really makes me wish there was a RnR J!-Archive. That album by Television hasn't appeared on the regular show (as far as we know, of course), but I can imagine it having shown up on Probst's show.
That category was an obvious reference to the Television album, but I wonder if "Cansplaining" was intended as a reference to the German experimental rock band: Can?
More likely "mansplaining" but with cans.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:43 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:32 pm
More likely "mansplaining" but with cans.
Um...I got that much. I just figured it probably wasn't a coincidence that it was right next to the Marquee Moon cat.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

reddpen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:23 am
MitchO wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:31 pm Other than size, is there any reason whatsoever that should lead me to assume this was Concord NH instead of Concord VA? It's not like Virginia was a major source of early Presidents or anything ...
Significance? Concord NH is the state capital; Concord VA is a burg of fewer than 1,500 that almost no one not from the area even knows exists.
ETA: Perhaps you meant Concord MA?

For $1200 in Women Artists, anyone else say trompe l'oeil? I know it's a fancy pants furren term, but It literally means trick the eye.

Poll request for the Anne Tyler TS in 2 Books in 1. I'd ask for Carson too but that might poll at 100%.
Yeah, I probably did. After the episode I went to look up the diff Concords in my head and for whatever reason it gave me Concord VA first.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump for a game that shows what a little good fortune on game one can do for a champ.