Thursday, June 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, June 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Philliesfan02 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:00 am offensive.
I don’t really like it either, but the rest of the show makes up for it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 pm
I got it because one of the members of Trout Fishing in America used to be in another band called St. Elmo's Fire and that name always stuck with me.
And Trout Fishing in America references a book by Richard Brautigan while I got St Elmo’s Fire from the Brian Eno song of the same name.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

A Wray wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:30 am "Pork you pine" doesn't really work, since pine in that sense isn't a transitive verb. I liked the rest of the category, though!
I mentally added "for". It made me think of this Family Feud episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdcleUk-T4U
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:26 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:51 pm Seriously, how many famous people have died from twenty-three stab wounds?
How many know he was stabbed exactly 23 times? I certainly didn't.
I'm sure I've heard that fact at some time, but it wasn't something I retained. My guess was Vlad the Impaler. I figure with all that impaling he must have gotten poked himself a few times! :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:38 am
John Boy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:13 am
alietr wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:51 pm That was painful watching Jennifer throwing away $1000 of real money.

FJ never said stab wounds; it said puncture wounds -- I was initially thinking Jesus, dismissed that, and fell into Caesar pretty quickly.
Uh, spoiler alert! If you read the gospels beyond the story of the crucifixion, you learn that Jesus didn't stay dead long enough for an autopsy.

:roll:
Aren't most autopsies performed fairly soon after the subject's death? Sabbath laws make a Jewish autopsy unlikely. But the Romans wouldn't have had any scruples in that regard. And they're exactly the kind of people to try something like that, right?

Anyway, I'm sure alietr is familiar with the story. That would be why he dismissed his initial thought. It was just the first result in the brainstorming stage--who's a famous person whose death might involve a fair number of puncture wounds? Jesus? Yeah, but not a good fit for this clue. Who else? Julius Caesar! That feels right. I like it. (There you go. That was a transcript of alietr's thought process.)
Quite accurate. And a bit scary.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:00 pm One interesting note: the contestant coordinator was wearing blue medical-type gloves during the snippet they showed before FJ. But post-FJ involved hand-shaking and mouth-wiping and zero social distancing. What was the tape date here?
I don't think this question was answered yet in this thread. If I'm not mistaken, it was March 11 (so, the same day that Rudy Gobert was diagnosed and the NBA shut down).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:33 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:00 pm One interesting note: the contestant coordinator was wearing blue medical-type gloves during the snippet they showed before FJ. But post-FJ involved hand-shaking and mouth-wiping and zero social distancing. What was the tape date here?
I don't think this question was answered yet in this thread. If I'm not mistaken, it was March 11 (so, the same day that Rudy Gobert was diagnosed and the NBA shut down).
That's exactly the kind of detail I was curious about. Thanks!
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:13 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:51 pm Seriously, how many famous people have died from twenty-three stab wounds?
I knew Caesar was stabbed in the forum. Also the abdomen, shoulder, and thigh.
Q: What did Julius Caesar say when Brutus stabbed him?
A: "OUCH!"

FJ was an instaget for me, since how many famous people have been stabbed that many times (though I didn't realize it was specifically 23)?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:02 am I don’t really like it either, but the rest of the show makes up for it.
I'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Woof wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:55 am And Trout Fishing in America references a book by Richard Brautigan while I got St Elmo’s Fire from the Brian Eno song of the same name.
Knew that, too. Also, anyone who knows the duo Trout Fishing in America solely for their children's songs is missing out.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:24 am
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:00 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:57 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:03 pm Any reason I should know what season National Hangover Day is? That clue seemed wide open.
The clue said to think about it, implying that one probably wouldn't know this and could figure it out. The thought process consists of "Hangovers tend to occur the day after a night of heavy drinking; what holiday has a lot of booze?" I can think of two, and they're both in winter (though one just barely).
I was hoping they would be tricky and say “Flag Day”. While most would associate June 14 with the summer, it is actually late spring.
HQ once got a lot of people out by asking what season Julius Caesar got assassinated; everyone tends to think of March as spring, but only the last third of it (give or take) is.
Nice foreshadowing.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump for the re-airing of the painful Spicoli actor TS.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:04 am Bump for the re-airing of the painful Spicoli actor TS.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There is a hymn in the United Methodist Hymnal that references spinning gold from straw. Surprisingly that is not within the top 20 of "weirdest things I've seen in a hymnal". I don't think it's even the 20th-weirdest thing in that hymnal alone.
Ever read the “Instructions for singing” page? It says to sing the hymns with the same enthusiasm in which you sang the “songs of Satan”.

The sixth verse of “O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing” is certainly something we wouldn’t see written today.

I say this as someone who likes Charles Wesley’s hymns.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:18 pm
There is a hymn in the United Methodist Hymnal that references spinning gold from straw. Surprisingly that is not within the top 20 of "weirdest things I've seen in a hymnal". I don't think it's even the 20th-weirdest thing in that hymnal alone.
Ever read the “Instructions for singing” page? It says to sing the hymns with the same enthusiasm in which you sang the “songs of Satan”.

The sixth verse of “O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing” is certainly something we wouldn’t see written today.

I say this as someone who likes Charles Wesley’s hymns.
The 2000 supplement "The Faith We Sing" is even weirder. At least three hymns refer to God in female terms (one is called "Bring Many Names" and uses the incredibly odd phrasing "Hail and hosanna"). One is just 2 1/2 stanzas of "This [noun] I [verb]" ad nauseam before getting to a point.

I've seen so much weird crap in hymnals published as many as 35 years ago to think that we have hit the singularity and completely run out of ideas...