Fourth Podium Poll for 6/11/2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers did you get?

$800 AMERICAN LITERATURE: 4 Chinese women meet regularly to play Mah-jongg & to talk about life & their children in this 1989 Amy Tan novel
87%
$400 "THAN" WORDS: "Beowulf" features several of these feudal warriors who serve their liege
44%
$800 "THAN" WORDS: In Greek mythology this 8-letter figure is the personification of death (Jennifer: What is Thanos?)
62%
$600 TV CATCHPHRASES BY SHOW: "Bazinga!"
91%
$800 TV CATCHPHRASES BY SHOW: "Nanu-nanu" (Jennifer: What is Star Trek?) (Iman: What is ALF?)
96%
$1000 TV CATCHPHRASES BY SHOW: "Book 'em, Danno"
88%
$800 ACTIONS: In knitting, it means to pull a loop of yarn through the front to the back of the fabric
62%
$800 PUN-FORGIVABLE: "A spot for handing out pink slips", or a hearth at the base of a chimney
54%
$1200 PUN-FORGIVABLE: "What you say to scare a lemon pie topping", or an Australian aboriginal weapon
79%
$2000 THE FRENCH REVOLUTION: From tomber, French for "to fall", it was the cart that took those condemned to death on their last ride
14%
$1600 PATRON SAINTS: Sharing his feast day with fellow archangels Gabriel & Michael, he's the patron saint of the blind
11%
$400 ANIMALS: The pronghorn, also called the American or pronghorned one of these, can cover about one mile per minute
53%
$2000 ANIMALS: This late gorilla once broke a sink & used sign language to blame someone else
78%
$2000 BREAKOUT MOVIE ROLES: Described as a cinematic chameleon, this British actress in the title role of "Orlando"
16%
$1200 BREAKOUT MOVIE ROLES: Him as stoned surfer Jeff Spicoli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"
78%
$2000 PUN-FORGIVABLE: "To break God's law until a prime time hour", or to sparkle brightly
28%

Total votes: 85

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 6/11/2020

Post by davey »

xabe wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:23 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:59 pm MIGHT have gotten "sin till late" but "a prime time hour" isn't late. Pretty much by definition. "Late" starts AFTER prime time. So I felt that clue steered everyone in the wrong direction.
I haven’t seen the episode, but solved it here as “sin till eight”. Maybe that was the writers’ intended answer and “late” was an acceptable alternative?
That makes sense, but Alex unmistakably said "Sin till late." The closed caption copped out with "scintillate"...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I got eleven of these, should have gotten tumbrel, and took just a couple of seconds too long to dredge up Sean Penn. Not quite enough for a 4th podium win, because somehow the champ managed a very respectable score through two rounds despite all the TSs.

I stood and stared at FJ for probably 10 seconds before thinking about who got stabbed a bunch. Got JC in plenty of time.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:33 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:59 pm MIGHT have gotten "sin till late" but "a prime time hour" isn't late. Pretty much by definition. "Late" starts AFTER prime time. So I felt that clue steered everyone in the wrong direction.
I haven’t seen the episode, but solved it here as “sin till eight”. Maybe that was the writers’ intended answer and “late” was an acceptable alternative?
That makes sense, but Alex unmistakably said "Sin till late." The closed caption copped out with "scintillate"...
I was going to post the same thing. But the more I listen to it, the more I'm not so sure. For me, the question becomes, how would he enunciate "sin till eight" differently from what we're hearing?

https://youtu.be/6GRBTUtFpOQ

I don't think he would necessarily say the two phrases differently. Granted, he could put a longer gap in between the second and third word. And if he's trying to clarify, no, it's NOT "sin till late" it's "sin till.... Eight", that would be the way to do it. But if he's just trying to say "sin till eight" and unaware of the possibility for misunderstanding, I think he might well say exactly what we're hearing.

It can help here to say the words out loud and listen to yourself. For me, "SIN till eight" sounds like "SIN till late" unless I am deliberately trying to exclude the latter understanding. This is especially true if I emphasize the first word as Alex did.

Given the wording of the clue, my belief now is that he was saying "sin till eight" and that was the only answer on his card.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :|

$7000 + St Elmo

Not a great showing for me from the fourth podium. I missed all the $2000 clues and then also whiffed on FJ.
earendel

Post by earendel »

$14,400, plus St. Elmo and parliamentarian. And Julius Caesar.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

$9,200 in trash but I missed FJ.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:09 am I stood and stared at FJ for probably 10 seconds before thinking about who got stabbed a bunch. Got JC in plenty of time.
Well, since you took a little jab at me before, I'll ask ... which JC?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:56 pm
John Boy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:09 am I stood and stared at FJ for probably 10 seconds before thinking about who got stabbed a bunch. Got JC in plenty of time.
Penney
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:10 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:56 pm
Penney
So I don't take up two posts with a "Like", here's one for each of you guys: :lol: :lol:
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:28 am
davey wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:33 am
I was going to post the same thing. But the more I listen to it, the more I'm not so sure. For me, the question becomes, how would he enunciate "sin till eight" differently from what we're hearing?

https://youtu.be/6GRBTUtFpOQ

I'm not second-guessing myself. I hear 2 different l sounds (or let's say a prolonged l sound), rather than a break between the 2 words. But I suppose it's a yanny-laurel moment. That's the meme, right?
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: :cry: :cry: :mrgreen: :cry: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think I was age disadvantaged a bit on the Hawaii Five-0 and Fast Times clues. Missed "fireplace" but I think I would have got it if wasn't the first clue selected from the category.

Got St. Elmo and FJ. Missed parliamentarian - guessed ombudsman.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Missed Joy Luck Club, knew it and sputtered but couldn't pull the name in time. No clue on the French cart or patron saint of the blind, know nothing about the film "Orlando" (though I do like Tilda Swinton; she was great in "Burn After Reading."

$11,600 + correct on Julius Caesar.

Correct on St. Elmo and parliamentarian.

Have never seen the reboot of Hawaii 5-0. Does Danno still book 'em? Or did the phrase go away with Jack Lord?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:37 pm Have never seen the reboot of Hawaii 5-0. Does Danno still book 'em? Or did the phrase go away with Jack Lord?
He still does ... well, did.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :| :( :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :|

$9,600. Not enough to win, but at least I got FJ. Got the St. Elmo DD, but not parliamentarian.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:15 am The fact that Tumbril had a low hit rate proves that most don't go back in the Archive to view the UTOC games.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=328
A while back, I watched a video featuring Frank Spangenberg (I think for the BotD) and he mentioned an anecdote from the UToC. He was the alternate for the finals and before the finals started, he noticed that Ken, Brad, and Jerome seemed incredibly nervous and told them that they reminded him of old-time prisoners being transported in a tumbril. He was amused when that clue showed up as a TS in the first game of the finals.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell