FJs for the 6/8/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/8/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:48 pm

10-year-old Martin Luther King Jr. sang with his church's choir at the celebrated premiere of this film
77%
Encyclopedia Britannica says of him: "After an extended tour of Europe he retired to Concord...& he died in obscurity"
51%
Published in 1881, "The Formation of Vegetable Mould, Through the Actions of Worms" was his last & one of his bestselling books
64%
One of the first recorded autopsies was performed on this man & revealed 23 puncture marks
72%
On this woman's passing in 2019, Oprah Winfrey called her "a magician with language, who understood the power of words"  
57%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
20%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
2 BOOKS IN 1 $1600: "Breathing Tourist" [Give 2 titles by same author that have been combined into 1]
34%
2 BOOKS IN 1 $2000:"The Age of Frome" [Curious to see how off the two valuations were]
76%
TALK SHOW $1600: This legend of NBC late night turned down the role that Jerry Lewis eventually played in "The King of Comedy"
75%
The Wizard of Oz was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
2%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue by guessing an Adams.
12%
Lister was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
3%
Maya Angelou was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
23%
I am fairly certain to 100% confident I have seen all 190 episodes of Season 36.
42%
I am still catching up on watching Season 36 games.
7%

Total votes: 92

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/8/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY AMERICA

6/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
10-year-old Martin Luther King Jr. sang with his church's choir at the celebrated premiere of this film

6/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRE-CIVIL WAR PRESIDENTS

6/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Encyclopedia Britannica says of him: "After an extended tour of Europe he retired to Concord...& he died in obscurity"

6/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOTABLE BRITISH NAMES

6/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Published in 1881, "The Formation of Vegetable Mould, Through the Actions of Worms" was his last & one of his bestselling books

6/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDICAL HISTORY

6/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the first recorded autopsies was performed on this man & revealed 23 puncture marks

6/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

6/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On this woman's passing in 2019, Oprah Winfrey called her "a magician with language, who understood the power of words"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Gone with the Wind
Franklin Pierce
Charles Darwin
Julius Caesar
Toni Morrison
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 2-2-2-0-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested triple stumper, one the players got correct from the same category for a higher value, and a lightly requested triple stumper that had 3 misses.

2 BOOKS IN 1 $1600: "Breathing Tourist" [Give 2 titles by same author that have been combined into 1]

2 BOOKS IN 1 $2000:"The Age of Frome" [Curious to see how off the two valuations were]

TALK SHOW $1600: This legend of NBC late night turned down the role that Jerry Lewis eventually played in "The King of Comedy"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Breathing Lessons & The Accidental Tourist
The Age of Innocence & Ethan Frome
Johnny Carson

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 6/8/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Stumped on Darwin with no guess

No doubt at all I’ve seen all 190 games this season. (More than once)
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I had to play from mid-March to mid-May from the Archive. I'm assuming that doesn't count for "having seen" those games.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never heard of Breathing Lessons.
Have not seen all episodes (I know there's one or two I missed due to pre-emptions and I don't bother hunting them down).
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :|

Had to play off archives on Tuesday, said Fillmore just to have something

Fleming on Wednesday

Talk shows and their hosts/networks are not my speciality

Definitely played all 190, a few episodes didn't air because of storm warnings.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :( Geez, I did better in the GOAT tournament.
:? :D :D NHO for the 1600. Edith Wharton was a gimme. I'll support any hypothesis that the valuations were off.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lessons Accidental would've been a DD get though

Played all 190, but at least one or two that were done off the archive.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Pretty sure all 190, with a few thanks to Opus.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Guessed John Quincy Adams Tuesday, just to have something.

Pretty sure I saw most episodes, but missed a few here and there.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

John Q Adams after talking myself out of taking the coinflip between Pierce and Hayes (I know their names, but not which goes where in order).
Alexander Fleming; not thrilled with it but I had nothing else
Ursula Le Guin, desperation guess after dismissing Angelou and Harper Lee as dying too early

I stopped watching for a while in March/April because my local airings were constantly preempted.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I checked the 190 box, but forgot about preemptions. I think I only had to play 1 or 2 partially off the archive.

Negged by both Lister and Angelou. I thought of Darwin but got fooled by "mould", and felt Angelou was wrong but couldn't think of another Oprah author in time.

I didn't get "Breathing Tourist" - I assumed it was "Accidental Tourist", but had NHO Breathing Lessons.

I don't think I buzzed in on "The Age of Frome". I definitely would have WECIBed "The Age of Innocence" and "Ethan Frome" because they were both books I have heard of, but I honestly didn't know the author for either. I'm pretty sure I clammed.

Absolutely befuddled about Carson, and I don't think I'm THAT old. I'd just finished 9th grade when Carson's last show aired, and while I did see that "live", I was never one to stay up and watch late night comics when I was in middle school, except for SNL. I don't think of Leno or Letterman as "legends", mainly because they're still alive. Personally, Letterman seemed more groundbreaking to me, while Leno was just status quo standup. And Letterman's not a great response since he's associated with both NBC and CBS. Sullivan would be reasonable, but was CBS - a fact I didn't know. But if you're thinking of a comic about the same age as Jerry Lewis, Carson's the one. Ed was about 20 years older, and Leno and Letterman about 20 years younger.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:
I believe I would have had a perfect week if "puncture" was replaced by "wound"...
I read Breathing Lessons when it came out. Didn't keep me from identifying it as Breathing Room. I don't remember liking it as much as The Accidental Tourist or Dinner at The Homesick Restaurant, so that's my excuse...
I don't think I missed a game this season. An extra-long break is OK with me, but I hope the show can come roaring back, even late, in the fall!
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm still kicking myself over Franklin Pierce. My dad was trying to name all the pre–Civil War presidents and got everyone except Pierce, said, "Watch the correct response be the one I'm missing," I thought there was no way and doomed myself before the clue was even revealed. I'd even done a JetPunk quiz, maybe less than a week prior, of presidents' home states, and I knew Pierce was from New Hampshire. I'm reminded of jkbrat's story about her losing FJ:
Spoiler
the category was ANTHROPOLOGY, she precalled Lucy as a possible response, then when the contestant coordinators told them to write down "What" she put it out of her mind (since Lucy was a "Who"), to the point that she drew a blank when the clue said "the very old young lady named this."
I had the sense that the latter half of "Breathing Tourist" was The Accidental Tourist, but had no way of getting the rest.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Leave it to me to have the goose egg YET AGAIN, but at least I've seen all the episodes this season.
Steve McClellan
Contributor

Post by Steve McClellan »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DDs: 12/15

Season summary (regular-play episodes only):

FJs: 89/160 (56%) [contestants: 216/473 (46%)]
DDs: 362/475 (76%)
other clues: 5342/8755 (61% right) (374 negs)
Average Coryat: $26,176/$52,176 (50%)

I am fairly sure I've seen all 190 episodes. ;)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
:oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

Ironically knew the GWTW thing because we had toured the Margaret Mitchell House in Atlanta over Labor Day weekend past, which had memorabilia related to the premiere. It also helped that the movie had hit the news that day regarding the HBO Max issue.

And, although the future Dr. King was there singing, none of the black cast members were at the Atlanta premiere due to the segregation laws of the day.

https://news.emory.edu/stories/2014/11/ ... ampus.html
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

I have heard the name Toni Morrison before, but I couldn’t have told you one thing about her.

I have played all 190 episodes of season 36 either live or from the archive. I finished the season 108/190 on Fj!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Second-guessed myself out of an all-smiley week...

Have either watched or played through all S36 episodes. Only keep stats on "regular" episodes, 102/151 for the ones I have tracked but my get rate increased steadily over the course of the season.

Other stats:

DD 367/448 (82%)
Average Coryat $34,018 (5994 R, 250 W out of 8261 clues)

Outcome of studying: last 90 days = $37175 Coryat, 87% DD, 31/40 FJ (77%) in 40 games. Improved my Coryat about $6k over the course of the season, which I consider a success.

Thanks to Steve's J-scorer for enabling this analysis!