Poll on Boardies Covid-19 Impact

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How has Covid-19 affected you?

I know (or think) I have or had Covid-19.
10%
I do not think I have had Covid-19.
83%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, and am still employed.
61%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, but am now less employed.
5%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, am now unemployed, but expect to get my job back.
2%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, and am now unemployed.
2%
I was not employed or a student before the pandemic hit.
27%
I personally know someone who has passed away from Covid-19 related causes.
21%
I do not personally know someone who has passed away from Covid-19 related causes.
66%
I always wear a face covering in public.
79%
I sometimes wear a face covering in public.
16%
I never wear a face covering in public.
3%

Total votes: 149

alietr
Site Admin

Poll on Boardies Covid-19 Impact

Post by alietr »

I am curious about the impact of the disease on this small segment of the population. Your answers are anonymous.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Poll on Boardies Covid-19 Impact

Post by GoodStrategy »

With "wearing a face covering in public" if not wearing one when exercising away from others but always doing so when I can't social distance from people I don't know does that still qualify to check the "always" box or would that exception mean I only "sometimes" wear one?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I wonder if I had Covid 19, since I was sick for a couple of days in early Feb after a trip to DC. I could even say I hope I had it. Can't say i think I had it...I expect to get an antibody test next week.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

i checked the box for "I sometimes wear a face covering in public." I don't wear a mask when I go for a walk around the block, but I always do on the very rare occasions when I go somewhere where I can't avoid other people.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

GoodStrategy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:21 am With "wearing a face covering in public" if not wearing one when exercising away from others but always doing so when I can't social distance from people I don't know does that still qualify to check the "always" box or would that exception mean I only "sometimes" wear one?
I'd classify that as 'always'. I meant that you're always careful about being around other people.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I didn't check either of the first 2 boxes. I came down with what I thought was a cold back in February, 4 or 5 days after I had been to a concert. There had not been any reported Covid cases in the U.S. at the time, and I never even considered it, but I guess it could have been Covid. I have been healthy since.

I thankfully still have a job and have been working from home. I am also still working at Publix, but cut myself to 2 days a week.

I don't think I know anyone who has had Covid.

I always wear a mask in public, and am required to wear one while working at Publix.

Aside from work and grocery store trips I have still been staying home.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I went with sometimes because I have been dining in since the brewery reopened and that's more 'public.'

If it was just off outside >6' away from someone, I'd still say 'always'. I also don't wear it in the car while driving.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RougeGod

Post by RougeGod »

I had a whole bunch of the listed symptoms of Covid (mild fever, dry cough, aching lungs, exhaustion, nausea), but it was in September.... so I don't think it actually was Covid. I would go out in public if I didn't have to wear a mask out there.

At least we have a really small number of cases in Manitoba, so there is less panic then there was
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I always wear one, but being in a small town in the south, I've only seen at most 20% of people wearing them any time I go to the store. A month ago I'd say the number was <5%.

I don't think I've had it, but we suspect my wife did. I don't know anyone who has passed from it.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Don’t think I had it, although I had some weird mild symptoms back in late February. Do not know anyone confirmed to have it or to have died.

I live in Connecticut and have been following the general mask wearing etiquette seen here, which is wearing a mask 100% of the time in public indoor spaces (stores, etc.) and outdoors when in close proximity to other people for a prolonged period (standing in line). But not 100% of the time outside.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I wear a mask unless I'm just going for a walk and not going to be within 6 feet of anyone. Per the mishnah of Ben-Alietr, which our sect considers authoritative, I've checked the "always" box. I'm going to start keeping a bandana in my pocket just in case. Mrs Penguin wears a mask at work (she goes in on Mondays and works from home Tu - Fr) and has taken to wearing a mask at home. She read an article that said that can stop the spread. She really doesn't want to accidentally bring this thing home to me.

Meanwhile, if I go to the store, half the employees are wearing their masks in such a way that only the mouth is covered. Their nostrils are completely exposed. That's not wearing a mask, people!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I do grocery resets for Publx so a mask is required for work.

I don’t go out much but wear it if I think about it. I got dinner at Subway last night and made a point to wear one when I was ordering since I am close to the food others will be eating. I felt that was just good manners. But I generally don’t get around crowds of people so it isn’t a big deal.

I did check the box for knowing someone who died from it. It is just one person. It was someone I went to high school with but haven’t seen since then. (I graduated in 1985). He was a couple years older but his sister was in my class so I knew her more than him. But we went to the same elementary school so I saw him around for years.

I have a good friend who is very anti-mask who is currently on a restaurant and bar tour of New Orleans. He is about 55 and has battled cancer for several years. I hope I don’t lose him to this but I am worried.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Glad I saw alietr's comment about differentiating between "sometimes" and "always" regarding masks -- I don't wear a mask outdoors when distant from people, but I always have one in my pocket. I put it on when I get within 10 feet of other people, and wear it inside public spaces 100% of the time.

In Colorado, restaurants have been open for indoor dining for a couple of weeks. We've been out to eat several times, and have felt comfortable and safe without a lot of nervousness. We've gone at off-peak hours, staff are masked and gloved, tables are well-spaced, and everyone seems to be following the rules without a lot of protest. We're allowed to remove masks at the table, but are supposed to put them on as we stand up to use the restroom or to leave, and compliance has been good.

We're not aware of anyone we know having a confirmed, or even a suspected, case. We live in an age-restricted senior cooperative (75 residents in 52 units, all over 65, who jointly own the building and the land as shareholders in a not-for-profit LLC), and everyone here is super-cautious as we're all considered high-risk. We're very comfortable in the common areas and around the grounds, since everyone is being sensible. We do socialize with people we trust. So far, there's no sign of COVID having entered the building.

We're not living as isolated hermits since our stay-at-home order expired, but we're staying prudent when we're out, and aren't out and about much more now than we were during the order.

We've actually been staying busy enough with catch-up and hobbies that we're still able to procrastinate things we don't want to do like reorganizing the storage room. We might get bored enough to tackle stuff like at some point, but it could still be a few weeks away.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

I was moderately ill with cough, aches, and general malaise in early March (notably, no fever). It honestly felt like I had mono again, though without the sore throat. I traveled a lot for work and had been on 14 flights in January and February, all domestic. My SO had severe symptoms appear a few days before me, including a fever of 104+ and significant shortness of breath, but was unable to get tested for COVID due to lack of test availability. He was also told to stay home and just keep taking Tylenol because they didn't want him to spread it to others at the time. I lost my smell and taste completely on 3/21 and regained partial sense about 15 days later. To this day, I still can't smell "stinky" things like horse manure or dog farts (which might be a blessing in disguise :lol: ).

I had spent time with one of my best friends and she had symptoms appear right after me, though much milder than mine. She and I both got antibody tests--hers came back positive and mine negative. Turns out the sensitivity and specificity of the test we received was VERY low, so those results could be absolute junk. The American Red Cross has offered to test anyone for antibodies who donates a pint of blood, so I have an appointment in a few weeks.

I wear a mask most of the time (always while shopping or in close public areas), but haven't worn one to restaurants/bars or while walking the dogs. I am conscious of my distance from others and take care to cross the street when walking to avoid unnecessary contact.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Well this just happened in Pennsylvania:

Under the order, people are required to wear face coverings if they are outdoors and are unable to keep a distance of six feet from people who are not members of their households.

People also must wear coverings when they are in any indoor location where members of the public are generally permitted. People need to wear coverings when waiting for, riding on, driving, or operating public transportation or paratransit or while in a taxi, private car service, or ride-sharing vehicle.

Under that "any indoor location where members of the public are generally permitted"; I wonder if that includes my work place where the general public is NOT permitted. I'm thinking no.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Those of you are FB friends of mine may already have seen my post of this article, but for those who haven’t: Here is one of the clearest and most informative, evidence-based summations of how COVID-19 spreads and how to prevent its spread. link
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Still employed, very happy to be so :D
Haven't had it, don't know anyone with it. :)
I will wear a face mask in public when I'm indoors, but not outside. :geek:
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

This lacks an interesting box.

Unemployed before pandemic, employed during it.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Add me to the "weird symptoms in February" list. I checked that I don't think I had it, but: starting in mid-February I came down with what I thought was the weirdest cold I'd ever had. Very little upper respiratory symptoms. I even remarked to a colleague, "I know I have a cold, but I can barely tell." But then a cough developed that persisted for 6 weeks and chest heaviness for a few weeks after that. Wife had chills and aching for about 3 weeks. Neither of us ever thought to check for a fever. Daughter was sent home from day care one day with a fever of 102 but was fine after that. It kind of all adds up... maybe???? But mid-February would be a bit on the early side.
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:13 am ...But mid-February would be a bit on the early side.
Not necessarily...
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/heal ... 51c58e7d39