JBoard games

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

JBoard games

Post by RandyG »

I'll just throw this out there....

In addition to the regular appearance of TD -- which has obviously become a lot less regular -- JBoardies used to host and play other games, none of which have surfaced here in some time. A lot of new boardies have appeared since then and many have left, so it might be worth revisiting this. If there's any interest in resurrecting these games -- or others -- these are a few that I recall:

- GUESSTIMANIA, in which you make a best guess regarding the number of items that fit into a category. Several rounds and cumulative scoring based on how close you come to the actual number.
Past examples: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2292 viewtopic.php?p=130040

- CHRONOLOGY, in which you attempt to place historical events with a common context into chronological order. Cumulative scoring based on how close you come to each event's actual position in the chronology.
Past examples: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=881 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=920

- WHO'S SPECIAL, in which a host creates a Jeopardy-type set of questions based on category suggestions from the peanut gallery. Once the final categories are announced and before the questions are posted, players select one as their "specialty" category, which affects their individual scoring.
Past examples: viewtopic.php?t=469 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=536

Each thread has more detailed directions on how the game is played.

Are there any other games that should be noted?
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: JBoard games

Post by clprez »

The opposite of TD, there was the short-lived Match Game where the object was to choose the entry with the most guesses.

Here's one: viewtopic.php?t=2456
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

Well, there's Summer Hiatus Challenge, but that's different in all the ways that it's different.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

jeffwolfe wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:22 pm Well, there's Summer Hiatus Challenge, but that's different in all the ways that it's different.
Sure. I purposely avoided going there, since the SHC is a much bigger deal. But thx.... I guess it did require a mention for those unfamiliar with it**. I was just trying to tease out something, something.... something by highlighting past board gaming activities.

** viewtopic.php?t=4740 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4778
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The person who ran the SHC decided to stop doing it due to the time it takes. A few people kept it going for a couple years but it fizzled out. It is a major time investment, much more so than a regular game.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:56 am The person who ran the SHC decided to stop doing it due to the time it takes. A few people kept it going for a couple years but it fizzled out. It is a major time investment, much more so than a regular game.
True. I think there's value in mentioning it, though. Frankly, my motivation was probably just completeness. "This is another thing we used to do." But there's value in knowing that there's something we used to do that's radically different from the other things. Maybe this hypothetical new(-ish) person we're reaching out to has a crazy idea worth doing, but they dismiss it out of hand because it's not like the things we've done before. Well, SHC is evidence that the community might consider doing something unlike the other things. No guarantees, but maybe.