Happy Birthday to J!Board

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Post Reply
User avatar
OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2140
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by OrangeSAM »

Believe or not but this forum turned 9 at the start of the month.
OCSam

User avatar
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by Picked Off »

Long may you run!
Season 27 player and lifelong fan

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by StevenH »

Happy birthday! And a continued thanks to everyone who keeps this place running.

It's hard to believe that the amount of time that this board has existed is greater than the amount of time that I was on the old Sony board. Time flies.

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1310
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by cinemaniax7 »

StevenH wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:29 am
Happy birthday! And a continued thanks to everyone who keeps this place running.
Amen!

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 12056
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by MarkBarrett »

Well done and thanks to everyone involved with making this a fun community.

In case any of you don't know you can hover over your name (or anyone else's) and get your number. 75 people ahead of me.

Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Happy birthday :) I'm glad I joined this community, as in the year since I joined my trivia skills have improved so much. Thank you to everyone who runs Jboard.

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 am

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Also, the "new old games in the J-Archive" thread started in April 2012, and it's still going strong today thanks to the archivists who have so many episodes that have been put in there since then.

User avatar
OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2140
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:38 am
Well done and thanks to everyone involved with making this a fun community.

In case any of you don't know you can hover over your name (or anyone else's) and get your number. 75 people ahead of me.
I'm not sure of the significance of that number. I checked the list of members sorted by date joined and you're front page news - 22 on the roster (21 if you take out what may be a.test id). Looking at those pages reminds me of old friends we've lost touch with and at least one we've just plain lost.

At any rate, you beat me by a day and a half. I'm near the top of page 4 (77). I stumbled across the Board by Google search after the demise of the penultimate Sony board. I was a little lucky then and feel a bit blessed now.

My thanks to the Archivists as they help fill in big holes in my J! knowledge. I was working swing shift when the show debuted and didn't become a regular viewer for about a decade. And, Mark, seeing those contestant photos can be a hoot.

My thanks as well to those who work so hard to keep the ship righted and those who make this a true community.
OCSam

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2464
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by Robert K S »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:46 pm
I'm not sure of the significance of that number.
Here are the first ten members and their user ID numbers: agefen (2), alietr (54), Robert K S (55), Archivists (56), Rex Kramer (57), happybooker (58), debramc (59), gamawire (60), JCui (61), TomKBaltimoreBoy (62). The first two accounts belong to our esteemed overlord. You can draw your own conclusions about the meaning of the user ID numbers.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by boson »

Robert K S wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:57 pm
OrangeSAM wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:46 pm
I'm not sure of the significance of that number.
Here are the first ten members and their user ID numbers: agefen (2), alietr (54), Robert K S (55), Archivists (56), Rex Kramer (57), happybooker (58), debramc (59), gamawire (60), JCui (61), TomKBaltimoreBoy (62). The first two accounts belong to our esteemed overlord. You can draw your own conclusions about the meaning of the user ID numbers.
Wow, I feel like a newbie - I only joined 2 weeks later.

Congrats jboard! And thanks everyone who made it a fun place to hang out for 9 years!

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8376
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:57 pm
OrangeSAM wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:46 pm
I'm not sure of the significance of that number.
Here are the first ten members and their user ID numbers: agefen (2), alietr (54), Robert K S (55), Archivists (56), Rex Kramer (57), happybooker (58), debramc (59), gamawire (60), JCui (61), TomKBaltimoreBoy (62). The first two accounts belong to our esteemed overlord. You can draw your own conclusions about the meaning of the user ID numbers.
I suppose there's no way to list the earliest members who weren't on the old Sony board. I know I showed up here about a month and a half after it started. I must have been among the first newbies since mid-summer is an odd time to seek out a Jeopardy! discussion group. Looking into this I see that I came here after a 10 August 2011 discussion I started on alt.fan.cecil-adams regarding a quibble I had over a Jeopardy! clue. I'm not sure if I'd caught it on a rerun or while browsing the archive for some reason. But a boardie over there named Jim Ellwanger suggested this place. Jim, are you out there? Anyone here know and remember that name?

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 12056
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:32 pm
...
But a boardie over there named Jim Ellwanger suggested this place. Jim, are you out there? Anyone here know and remember that name?
Yes and yes.

Your clues are choo and mod.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8376
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:37 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:32 pm
...
But a boardie over there named Jim Ellwanger suggested this place. Jim, are you out there? Anyone here know and remember that name?
Yes and yes.

Your clues are choo and mod.
Cool! I hope it's ok that I outed you, Jim, at least among the cognoscenti and those who can solve simple puzzles courtesy of Mark Barrett. I can understand if you didn't want to be known as the guy who let the penguin in. Seriously, PM me and Mark if you'd prefer not to have your other (real?) name splattered all over this board. We can delete our posts. Or just delete them yourself. We won't take offense. Well, I won't anyway. Mark's kind of a hothead.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:32 pm
Looking into this I see that I came here after a 10 August 2011 discussion I started on alt.fan.cecil-adams regarding a quibble I had over a Jeopardy! clue. I'm not sure if I'd caught it on a rerun or while browsing the archive for some reason. But a boardie over there named Jim Ellwanger suggested this place. Jim, are you out there? Anyone here know and remember that name?
Never heard of him.

I was still on alt.fan.cecil-adams in 2011? I'd been on Usenet less and less over the years, and at some point, there was a Mac OS update that caused my newsreader software to stop working, so I took it as a sign.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8376
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:40 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:32 pm
Looking into this I see that I came here after a 10 August 2011 discussion I started on alt.fan.cecil-adams regarding a quibble I had over a Jeopardy! clue. I'm not sure if I'd caught it on a rerun or while browsing the archive for some reason. But a boardie over there named Jim Ellwanger suggested this place. Jim, are you out there? Anyone here know and remember that name?
Never heard of him.

I was still on alt.fan.cecil-adams in 2011? I'd been on Usenet less and less over the years, and at some point, there was a Mac OS update that caused my newsreader software to stop working, so I took it as a sign.
It's still going on, I think. I haven't checked in for over a year. Nick Spalding died. Peter Boulding died. Paul Madarasz and Blinky the Shark too, but maybe that was far enough back that you were around for it.

Something in this conversation jogged my memory and I checked my old PMs. Sure enough, way back in 2012 you said something in a game thread about being a former closed-captioner and I PMed you because I remembered that our closed-captioner on AFCA had also been into trains. You confirmed privately that you were in fact the guy we're denying all knowledge of.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10696
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by Bamaman »

I am a lowly #132. I was on the old board when it went kablooie. Some of us kind of hung out on the WWTBAM board for a short time until this place started up.

Thanks to whoever it is that keeps this place running along with the archive. Hopefully we will have new new games to enter and discuss soon.
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:09 pm
It's still going on, I think. I haven't checked in for over a year. Nick Spalding died. Peter Boulding died. Paul Madarasz and Blinky the Shark too, but maybe that was far enough back that you were around for it.
Meanwhile, Boron Elgar pinged me on LearnedLeague after I signed up there (as "EllwangerJ," since it requires basing your username on your real name).

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8376
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Happy Birthday to J!Board

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:24 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:09 pm
It's still going on, I think. I haven't checked in for over a year. Nick Spalding died. Peter Boulding died. Paul Madarasz and Blinky the Shark too, but maybe that was far enough back that you were around for it.
Meanwhile, Boron Elgar pinged me on LearnedLeague after I signed up there (as "EllwangerJ," since it requires basing your username on your real name).
For the benefit of those listening in, that's the mother of this former boardie.

Post Reply