Friday, October 4, 1985 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 4, 1985 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

The reason public companies incorporate in Delaware is because it has a 400-year history of consistently favoring management over shareholders in lawsuits.

If a person's goal in incorporating is secrecy, then the states most preferable for incorporating are Wyoming and Nevada. However, if the corporation is not actually doing its business in the state it's Incorporated in, then it has to register in the states that it is doing business as a foreign corporation.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I would have known this FJ! in 1985, and I would have known this FJ! when I was 10 years old. But my father was a corporate attorney for a Fortune 500 company incorporated in Delaware. :)
yclept

Post by yclept »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:18 pm I just watched the episode, and Chuck Forrest was indeed a phenomenal player. I would’ve considered him a possible candidate for Greatest of All Time from when the 5-day limit was in effect...well, before Brad Rutter won the Million Dollar Masters Tournament in Season 18. Other candidates from that time would’ve also included Frank Spangenberg and Jerome Vered.

Anyways, when James Holzhauer was obliterating records last year, I was reading about the Forrest bounce technique where a contestant jumps around to different categories rather than sticking to a single category. But I didn’t see Chuck implement the strategy in his fifth game. Instead he stuck with particular categories he was most comfortable with and even finished them off (though he didn’t run entire categories). However, I didn’t expect him to implement the strategy James used last year (selecting the highest value clues first).

I’m wondering if Chuck implemented the Forrest bounce in his first four shows.
I remember these shows and he most definitely did more bouncing than he did in his fifth game.

But I remember his bounce being different than others but memories have ways of becoming less true as the years go by. As I remember Chuck, he would often shift between a few categories at a time rather than bounce all over the board. For example, he would go to Category A for $100, Category B for $100...then go back to Category A for $200, etc. I wish I had a tape to verify if I am accurate about this!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

yclept wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:38 pm I wish I had a tape to verify if I am accurate about this!
If only there were an archive of games ...

That being said, I went and glanced at his games and I can't say that I see a bounce.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Wasn't the second part of the bounce strategy to abbreviate/eliminate helpful parts of the category names, to give you an advantage? So, 20TH CENT BRIT LIT could be called out as "LITERATURE for $400", which gives the person who selects the category an extra hint (or, in this case, two) when the clue is revealed.

I didn't notice if Forrest did this in the episode shown, but looking at the category names, it's not exactly fertile ground for that tactic. PRESIDENTIAL (MIDDLE) NAMES, (CELEBRITY) SAYINGS, or (CLASSIC) COUNTRY would be the only ones, and even those are minimally helpful.

Now that I think about it, I may be mistakenly attributing this strategy to Forrest...perhaps I'm thinking of Arthur Chu, who if I'm remembering correctly revived the bounce?
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

yclept wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:38 pm
I remember these shows and he most definitely did more bouncing than he did in his fifth game.

But I remember his bounce being different than others but memories have ways of becoming less true as the years go by. As I remember Chuck, he would often shift between a few categories at a time rather than bounce all over the board. For example, he would go to Category A for $100, Category B for $100...then go back to Category A for $200, etc. I wish I had a tape to verify if I am accurate about this!
Wasn't Arthur Chu the one who bounced all over the board if Chuck had a different strategy?
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I just got through watching this episode. (Have been out of town the last few days and catching up on DVR recordings). And off topic...but it's neat being able to watch some of these older episodes again. The category names were simpler and more direct back in the early days, for sure.

For the country music clue about the Grand Ole Opry, it seemed that Chuck's response was "Grand OLD Opry", not "Grand OLE Opry". I rewound and listened three times and I distinctly heard a "d" sound added to "Ole". I guess they weren't as strict with things back then. In the modern era, a score correction would likely have been made heading into Final Jeopardy.

Did anyone else catch that?

As for Susan and her FJ wager...I shook my head. I understand wanting to save $1 in case she was incorrect, but she wasn't going to catch Chuck for the win unless the defending champ was careless and wagered anything at all.
davey

Post by davey »

SBurrus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:48 pm
For the country music clue about the Grand Ole Opry, it seemed that Chuck's response was "Grand OLD Opry", not "Grand OLE Opry". I rewound and listened three times and I distinctly heard a "d" sound added to "Ole". I guess they weren't as strict with things back then. In the modern era, a score correction would likely have been made heading into Final Jeopardy.

Yes, he said "Grand Old Opry." I'm not sure they'd rule against him even today. Judging by the archive, they've gotten it wrong in their own clues...
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... t=old+opry
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:01 pm
SBurrus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:48 pm

Yes, he said "Grand Old Opry." I'm not sure they'd rule against him even today. Judging by the archive, they've gotten it wrong in their own clues...
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... t=old+opry
We don't know for sure that's their mistake and not the 1927 DJ's. It's quite possible he's being quoted accurately.

The archive also records one instance where "old" was accepted. J11 $1000 I HEAR BANJOS in this game.

I definitely heard "old" from Chuck Forrest in this game. The CC says "ole" and that's what's in the archive. But I'd recommend a change.