Pace of Gameplay in Season 1

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jlgarfield
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Pace of Gameplay in Season 1

Post by jlgarfield »

Hi, all. We've seen the first two eps of the Trebek run now, and looking at it and the whole first season, I think about why there were so many unrevealed clues (and sometimes, even unrevealed CATEGORIES!) in many season 1 eps. Could it have been because the ring-in rules were more loosey-goosey then? Just a thought.
mas3cf

Re: Pace of Gameplay in Season 1

Post by mas3cf »

The only thing I see that would contribute to that is that Alex was a lot chattier during gameplay than he is nowadays.

That said, the modern-day categories of needlessly long video clues is more of a time suck than Alex's occasional offhand comments in the mid-80s.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

The audience reacting after every response certainly didn't help the pace (because the contestants would tend not to call for the next clue until the sound died down).
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

I remember the ring in sound effect.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

kablamfan11 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:16 am I remember the ring in sound effect.
Thankfully, it only lasted through Show #20 or Show #25.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:26 am
kablamfan11 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:16 am I remember the ring in sound effect.
Thankfully, it only lasted through Show #20 or Show #25.
I agree
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:59 pm The audience applause machine reacting after every response certainly didn't help the pace (because the contestants would tend not to call for the next clue until the sound died down).
FTFY
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:20 am
trainman wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:59 pm The audience applause machine reacting after every response certainly didn't help the pace (because the contestants would tend not to call for the next clue until the sound died down).
FTFY
I'm pretty sure they don't make applause machines with only one or two claps, as was heard between clues a few times. And do you think they were playing canned applause live, causing the contestants to slow down their clue selection (as implied by your fix)?