Monday, January 15, 1990 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 15, 1990 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 15, 1990 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. PRESIDENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 1st 7 presidents, only these 2 were not re-elected

Frank Spangenberg: 20500+10100=30600 (5x = $102,597 with $27,597 to charity)
Barbara Prideaux: 500+350=850
Murdock Martin: 5200-200=5000

Correct response:
Spoiler
John Adams & John Quincy Adams (Murdock – Madison & J. Adams)

Daily Doubles
Murdock: 1200-1000
Frank: 7700+4000
Frank: 13300+7000

Coryats
Frank: 11100
Barbara: 500
Murdock: 6200

Combined: 17,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Frank: 3700
Barbara: minus 100
Murdock: 800

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=128
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The man, the mustache, Frank Spangenberg. He earned and deserved every return invite he received following his original run. In the first six seasons there were lots of players, but Frank is easily top 3 during that period for the skills and memorable factor.

The FJ! clue was a quick solve when I first saw the game [gulp] more than 30 years ago. 30 seconds is plenty of time to run the first 7 and determine yes/no for re-election status.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Don't know how many I got right. Missed a bunch.
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Blue Jeans, Bogey(How the heck was this a stumper?), Family Ties & Moonlighting, Martin
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Those were some testicular Daily Doubles. Of course, Frank knew it was his last game and The Challengers were no threat at all.

LOL at Frank taking the negbait on Hewlett-Packard.

LOL at the finales of Family Ties and Moonlighting being a Double Jeopardy question. Those series have basically been forgotten. I did remember that Family Ties was on Sunday and ended in May 1989, but I had no idea what was on at the same time.

The writers confused percent and percentage point on that water in the body question.

It was refreshing to see Alex pay lip service to the idea that one of the challengers might win the game and return as the champion on the next program. These days he would just declare it a runaway.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nice of Frank to offer a tie if he missed FJ.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Props to Barbara for knowing Studebaker and getting the rebound after Frank missed it.

She didn't fair as well when guessing the motorcycle make to guitar brand crossover. I wouldn't have faulted her at all if she had guessed Yamaha instead of Kawasaki.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Bogey(How the heck was this a stumper?),
Murdock guesses one stroke over par is refered to as an eagle: Golf throws back a shot of Jim Beam
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Murdock used to work for my company when I first started there many years ago. And it's a small company, <15 people. Small world. (I did know he had been on against Frank.)

I wonder what the rationale was for the earnings cap.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 pm
All of the networks had earnings caps after the game show scandals. The one at CBS for many years was $25,000. Big money earnings didn't come back until much later.

Jeopardy in its syndicated form conformed to the standards and practices of one of the major networks. I believe in the early days of Jeopardy it was ABC , because in those early years Jeopardy aired on several of the ABC owned and operated stations. I think I read that in the book Alex wrote about Jeopardy early on.

The cap on the number of owned-and-operated stations a company can have has also been removed. At the time Jeopardy started in syndication, it was five. So if Jeopardy aired on three of a network's owned and operated stations, that would have been a majority of them.

I don't know whose standards and practices they deal with now but obviously the winnings cap was disposed of before the five time limit was done away with.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Very 80s episode, even if was their sixth new episode of the 90s - St. Elmo's Fire always helpes me remember "fire + ship + Saint = Elmo". Thanks, Rob Lowe, for that riveting speech to Demi Moore while sitting on the floor of her apartment.

Also in the 80s category: Oregon trail. This time, without "Oregon" twice in the clue, thankfully...but still overpriced as a fourth row clue. Writers must have come down with dysentery.

Funnily, I guessed "Moonlighting" for the show that ended in May 1989, but wasn't bold enough to go with the more famous Keaton clan for the other half of the clue. I almost feel like that should have been a DD, since it had two parts....but considering those shows ended just months prior to taping, I guess rapid fire is fair game, even if it was a TS.

I hummed Rhapsody in Blue instead of saying the title. Judges? (Okay, I know, I know...my brain stalled. Thanks a lot, United Airlines.)

Sgt. Pepper takes aim, but is foiled by his Lonely Hearts Club Band. Honestly, that response always seems unnecessarily cruel. They should do something like ask for the n-th word of the album....although contestants might catch on eventually that "words in an album" means SPLHCB.

FJ! reminded me that I should review my presidential order. I got it right anyway, as I remember noticing the connection that both Adams were one term presidents.

Love the old episodes....I'll take the tense, synthesized intro and the modem-esque pop-in noises over today's overly orchestral music anyday. Does anyone else hear the score lights snap whenever the scores were changed?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:50 pm Jeopardy in its syndicated form conformed to the standards and practices of one of the major networks. I believe in the early days of Jeopardy it was ABC , because in those early years Jeopardy aired on several of the ABC owned and operated stations. I think I read that in the book Alex wrote about Jeopardy early on.
Specifically, it aired on WABC in New York fairly early on, and they were quite successful with it at 7:00 (moving "World News Tonight" to 6:30) -- it eventually got purchased by the ABC owned-and-operated stations as a group beginning in the early '90s, and they've kept renewing that contract ever since.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remember the daytime network game shows had a soft cap of $25,000. If you won a game and went over, they let you keep it but kicked you off.

I guess they didn’t think anyone would come close to $75,000 in a five day limit. That is $40,000 a day under current rules and only James has done that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 pm Murdock used to work for my company when I first started there many years ago. And it's a small company, <15 people. Small world. (I did know he had been on against Frank.)

Abundance of caution after the scandals and maybe the Press Your Luck exploit as well? Even if the game is rigged or a contestant discovers a hack, they don't get to walk away with all the bucks. The kind of people who'd cheat or "cheat" aren't the kind that get excited about winning a lot of money for charity.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:50 pm I remember the daytime network game shows had a soft cap of $25,000. If you won a game and went over, they let you keep it but kicked you off.

I guess they didn’t think anyone would come close to $75,000 in a five day limit. That is $40,000 a day under current rules and only James has done that.
Yep, and it is important that you noted that contestants were allowed to keep anything they earned over the $25,000 in a single game. That is why Michael Larson was able to keep his entire windfall from Press Your Luck.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 pm

I don't know whose standards and practices they deal with now but obviously the winnings cap was disposed of before the five time limit was done away with.
It would be hilarious if the winnings cap were in place but the 5-episode cap wasn't. For example, Ken Jennings:

$2.5 million --> give $2.425 million to charity = $75,000
Tithe 10% --> $67,500
Take out taxes --> roughly $45,000
Divide by 75 episodes = $600 winnings per episode
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Whoa, one person has submitted about 25 correction suggestions. Some other archivist is welcome to tackle that task. I pass.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'm finding it amusing that contestants for FJ include cents in their wager. Did that come from on high or was it just dumb luck after game one and everyone kept it up because that's the way it's always been done? When did it stop? ...and did anyone ever get cute with a non-zero cent value? :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Volante wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:21 am I'm finding it amusing that contestants for FJ include cents in their wager. Did that come from on high or was it just dumb luck after game one and everyone kept it up because that's the way it's always been done? When did it stop? ...and did anyone ever get cute with a non-zero cent value? :lol:
Here's the weird thing: on the very first episode, NOBODY puts in cents. On the second show, EVERYONE does.

And in an unscientific sampling of 3 first season episodes from the Internet Archive, again, EVERYONE does.

My guess is that after the first episode, the producers got together and realized that someone writing "3000" could claim that they bet either 30.00 or 3000. This is especially true when you consider the 1980s light pen technology that they used - I would bet that very few Jeopardy! contestants in the first 4-5 seasons had ever signed anything "virtually" like that. The dots could be so small that they wouldn't be picked up.

The solution? Force and remind everyone to write ".00" after their wager, preferably with the "00" written tiny, like a check. Remember, back in the 80s, people actually DID write out checks...well, except for people who wound up playing the Check Game on The Price is Right, but that's another story. I found an episode in 2001 where all three contestants wrote the cents, too...so it lasted quite awhile.

I guess at some point, they switched the rule, and forced everyone to NEVER write cents. I found a teen tourney episode from 2003 where there were no cents (and the dollars were shown on the display, so they presumably weren't playing for "points" - at least not outwardly). So, sometime between 2001 and 2003, they flipped the rule, which makes pefect... 8-) ....cents.