Friday, December 3, 1993 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 3, 1993 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 3, 1993 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN PLAYWRIGHTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
1 of 3 women who won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in the 1980s

Frank Spangenberg: 8100+8100=16200 (+600) = 16800 = $41,800 (total includes $25,000 bonus for winning the 2-day final)
Tom Nosek: 4000-4000=0 (+13600) = 13600 = $13,600
Leslie Frates: 13000-8601=4399 (+100) = 4499 = $7,500

Correct response:
Spoiler
(1 of) Beth Henley (for Crimes of the Heart), Marsha Norman (for 'Night, Mother) & Wendy Wasserstein (for The Heidi Chronicles) (Leslie – Abramowitz) (Tom – Hellmann) (Frank – Wendy Wasserstein)

Daily Doubles
Leslie: 300+500
Frank: 2900+800
Leslie: 10300+2700

Coryats
Frank: 8100
Tom: 4000
Leslie: 10800

Combined: 22,900

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Frank: 2900
Tom: 1600
Leslie: 2100

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=156
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One ToC semifinalist was randomly (by regular play champion during picking week) drawn from each of the first nine seasons. Luck was with Frank to get selected as well as most recent ToC winner, Tom.

If you have never seen what the draw looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1AlA7TMUIY

Tom had a huge lead after Game 1 and could not maintain his momentum although a zero wager in the FJ! round would have been enough. It was a big comeback by Frank to pull that one out.

Tom won his five regular play games, his QF & Semis & Finals in the ToC, and his Semis for his 10th Anniversary match to have an impressive 10-0 to start his J! career along with the big lead after day one of these finals.

The FJ! clue was not something I knew at the time and through the years later when I’ve tried to recall Frank’s correct response I’ve often had an Eve Ensler detour to get to the name.

Nice week of vault visits for the extended rerun package this summer.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Following in the trend of Alex giving mixed-up information in his prerecorded intro segments, tonight Alex says that Wasserstein invited Frank to "lunch", when, according to Frank's recounting on at least two occasions, it was dinner.

Keep the streak alive, Alex!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Ken Griffey Jr. was my only miss. Said Ichiro Suzuki knowing he was too recent. But at least I had the right team.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Alfred Nobel, Metal, James Baldwin, Guess Jeans(This is Deja Vu.)

For Final Jeopardy!, I had Wendy Wasserstein and Heidi Chronicles. Would have never gotten either of the other two.
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ugh, had absolutely nothing on FJ. :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:09 am One ToC semifinalist was randomly (by regular play champion during picking week) drawn from each of the first nine seasons. Luck was with Frank to get selected as well as most recent ToC winner, Tom.

If you have never seen what the draw looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1AlA7TMUIY

Tom had a huge lead after Game 1 and could not maintain his momentum although a zero wager in the FJ! round would have been enough. It was a big comeback by Frank to pull that one out.

Tom won his five regular play games, his QF & Semis & Finals in the ToC, and his Semis for his 10th Anniversary match to have an impressive 10-0 to start his J! career along with the big lead after day one of these finals.

The FJ! clue was not something I knew at the time and through the years later when I’ve tried to recall Frank’s correct response I’ve often had an Eve Ensler detour to get to the name.

Tom got in by virtue of winning the TOC. The others were picked from the random draws of SF players.

I wonder if they just would taken all the winners if Jerry Frankel hadn’t died.
brick

Post by brick »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:59 am Following in the trend of Alex giving mixed-up information in his prerecorded intro segments, tonight Alex says that Wasserstein invited Frank to "lunch", when, according to Frank's recounting on at least two occasions, it was dinner.

Whatever the details I thought it was a charming story and a lovely thing to do. I got Henley. DP said Tomlin, which wasn’t a terrible guess, but obviously incorrect.

I never quite feel like a question like this, with multiple correct answers, is entirely fair.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

By this season of Jeopardy, I had been watching every episode either live, or by VCR for at least five years.
I can't recall noticing how sensitive the player's mics were. Picking up nervous breathing from both Tom and Leslie through the whole episode.
Maybe there was a newbie sound man at the controls; or perhaps they where just trying out new mics during this tournament and not aware of the bleed through... that was odd

Brings me to wonder when the show changed to the clip-on mics. Possibly when they stopped walking out to the lecturns at the opening?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:59 am Following in the trend of Alex giving mixed-up information in his prerecorded intro segments, tonight Alex says that Wasserstein invited Frank to "lunch", when, according to Frank's recounting on at least two occasions, it was dinner.

But it definitely wasn't supper?

This game hit me square in the nostalgia. Not because I saw this actual game, but that's the board configuration I remember first seeing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Well, I definitely wouldn't have gotten this FJ! as a sophomore (soff-o-more) in high school, when the episode was first shown. But two years later, in my senior year? Absolutely. Anyone want to guess one of the plays Mr. DuPreist, my senior AP English teacher, had us read? Yup, The Heidi Chronicles. I didn't have him the second semester, but I think he congratulated me on becoming an Eastern egalitarian ******** upon graduation, which was a high compliment.

Ugh. Celebrity next week. We're in for rounds where 20 clues are shown, and the stars mug for the camera, right?
yclept

Post by yclept »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:09 am One ToC semifinalist was randomly (by regular play champion during picking week) drawn from each of the first nine seasons. Luck was with Frank to get selected as well as most recent ToC winner, Tom.

Tom got in by virtue of winning the TOC. The others were picked from the random draws of SF players.

I wonder if they just would taken all the winners if Jerry Frankel hadn’t died.
Good question and I wonder why they decided on a random draw over simply selecting nine of the best players. I am sure TPTB would have loved to have the two most memorable players (Chuck and Frank) in this tournament. I am sure they would have loved for Bob Blake to be included. Maybe it was a S&P thing that they resolved before the MDM Tournament. Who knows?

Frank was so excited to win that I wonder if he felt as if it was some redemption for not getting to the finals of his TOC.

It seemed that back then, it was more common for players to make tournament comebacks than it is now, Who is the last player well behind in Game 2 of the championship match to make a furious comeback to win?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 pm Brings me to wonder when the show changed to the clip-on mics. Possibly when they stopped walking out to the lecturns at the opening?
Clip-on mics started in Sep. 1997, the contestant intro walks stopped in Sep. 2000 (not counting special exceptions such as Eddie Timanus).
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

He also said they were playing for a $100,000 grand prize, when the winner received his/her dollar total plus $25,000.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Cal Ripken, Jr.? Oy.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For those with archivist access you gotta see the laundry list of correction suggestions for the game with many including mini video links as proof. :o
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Woppy T wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:47 am

He also said they were playing for a $100,000 grand prize, when the winner received his/her dollar total plus $25,000.
Nice catch
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:02 pm For those with archivist access you gotta see the laundry list of correction suggestions for the game with many including mini video links as proof. :o
I'll take care of them but while I was dealing with Thursday's game I noticed a bug when I tried to correct "Rose" to "rosé". It seems that if a correct response contains a special character it won't show up in the editable field. This is due to a PHP bug in the htmlspecialchars function, and I can't figure out a workaround (and I'm not sure whether it's worth it or not since I presume later versions of PHP will not have the bug).

Mark, does this problem happen in J! Round and DJ! Round edit pages as well?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:02 pm For those with archivist access you gotta see the laundry list of correction suggestions for the game with many including mini video links as proof. :o
I'll take care of them but while I was dealing with Thursday's game I noticed a bug when I tried to correct "Rose" to "rosé". It seems that if a correct response contains a special character it won't show up in the editable field. This is due to a PHP bug in the htmlspecialchars function, and I can't figure out a workaround (and I'm not sure whether it's worth it or not since I presume later versions of PHP will not have the bug).

Mark, does this problem happen in J! Round and DJ! Round edit pages as well?
When I deal with accent marks I do the copy/paste from a web page and it shows up. Earlier this week I had to Frenchify the fabric lamé from lame and it seemed to go okay. Sometimes correction suggestions come in for me to delete a mark as it seems to show up for some with a question mark replacing it. Some of these kind of suggestions for some reason can make all of the clue's text disappear if accepted.