Regis Philbin Has Passed Away

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Regis Philbin Has Passed Away

Post by bigblue999 »

kablamfan11
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Regis Philbin Has Passed Away

Post by kablamfan11 »

I remember him from Who Wants To Be a Millionaire.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

This is sad. He was a broadcasting legend whose career spanned many decades. He is what made Millionaire must-watch TV. He will be missed. Rest well, Reege. X(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There will probably be at least one person Monday wondering how he is appearing on the show if he is dead.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

There's no truth to the rumor that Regis's tombstone will be inscribed with the words "Is that your final answer?"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the next old game I was working on I got 15 clues in and saved. When I went to save again after 20 clues the archive was down. It's the ghost of Regis haunting me as a bunch of people rushed to the Archive to look up his game?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:shock: :cry:
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

So sad to hear about Regis. I wonder if they can retape Alex's intro to Monday's episode, if they've already sent it...he'd obviously want to say something about Regis' passing.

For someone who always seemed to be cheerfully flummoxed by Gelman's rules for his daytime show's mini-wheel game (and, really, the rules of any game in general), Regis did a superb job of hosting Millionaire.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

He also once hosted a reality game show called Almost Anything Goes
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:19 pm For the next old game I was working on I got 15 clues in and saved. When I went to save again after 20 clues the archive was down. It's the ghost of Regis haunting me as a bunch of people rushed to the Archive to look up his game?
Possibly! I'm trying to figure things out with Brian right now. Should be back up now.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

A few years ago, I joined a friend's fantasy basketball league and christened my team the Threearruda Thugs. Having recently watched several of Regis' Millionaire episodes, I screenshot a photo of him excitedly pointing at the camera and made that the Thugs' logo.. for the irony, I guess.

Won the league with our Millionaire mascot, and will absolutely continue to use that name/logo combo in the future. Saddened to hear this news. Rest in peace, Regis.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:03 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:19 pm For the next old game I was working on I got 15 clues in and saved. When I went to save again after 20 clues the archive was down. It's the ghost of Regis haunting me as a bunch of people rushed to the Archive to look up his game?
Possibly! I'm trying to figure things out with Brian right now. Should be back up now.
Yes, the spirit has been appeased and the game is in. Thanks for all you and Brian do to keep the engine mostly running well.
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

Without Millionaire, I don’t know if I would have kept trying to get on Jeopardy! So, thanks for that, Reege.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

floridagator wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:56 pm He also once hosted a reality game show called Almost Anything Goes
That was in 1975, the first time I ever heard of him. On a family vacation, watching TV in the motel room late at night, my siblings and I ran across this show with the contestants doing wacky physical challenges. Never saw Regis again until decades later. RIP...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

He also hosted a short-lived game show in the 1970s called The Neighbors. Don't ask me what it's about.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

floridagator wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:17 pm He also hosted a short-lived game show in the 1970s called The Neighbors. Don't ask me what it's about.
To be very simplistic, it was like "The Newlywed Game" combined with "Tattletales," but for neighbors.

First part of an episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P57ll6e9dsI
Second part of an episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRqnuUXRwlc
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

talkingaway wrote: Regis did a superb job of hosting Millionaire.
I'll always have fond memories of that era of Millionaire. It was never the same after he left.

That said, I couldn't stomach any of those network morning shows. Not just the ones Regis was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:01 pm
floridagator wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:56 pm He also once hosted a reality game show called Almost Anything Goes
That was in 1975, the first time I ever heard of him. On a family vacation, watching TV in the motel room late at night, my siblings and I ran across this show with the contestants doing wacky physical challenges. Never saw Regis again until decades later. RIP...
I remember that show, did not know he hosted it.

Not really a fan of his morning show. Nothing against it, it just doesn’t do much for me though I can stomach it if it happens to be on. Too fluffy for me.

I tried watching the current version the other day. Kelly and Ryan are at home talking on a split screen with no audience. Just them talking was even worse. I didn’t watch long enough to see a guest.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

My mom still refers to Regis as "the sidekick from the Joey Bishop Show".
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

jlgarfield wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:36 pm This is sad. He was a broadcasting legend whose career spanned many decades. He is what made Millionaire must-watch TV. He will be missed. Rest well, Reege. X(
After some time has passed, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Jeopardy clue in a couple of years along the lines of "These two men who died in the same month have more combined hours on American television than any other two persons" or some similar phrasing.
Spoiler
Hugh Downs, who died on July 1, held the record for most hours appearing on television until Regis passed him 2004.
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:34 am My mom still refers to Regis as "the sidekick from the Joey Bishop Show".
We all have an area where we keep making the same mistake over and over and over again despite knowing better. My mother perpetually said George Fenneman every time she referred to Regis Philben and vice versa.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.