FJs for the 7/20/20 rerun week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 7/20/20 vault week?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:19 pm

The third Monday of January starting in 1986
100%
Calendar date with which the 20th century began  
90%
Over 1/2 of Fortune 500 and 42% of all N.Y. Stock Exchange companies are incorporated in this state
74%
Of the 1st 7 presidents, only these 2 were not re-elected
76%
1 of 3 women who won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in the 1980s
50%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
31%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
Prior to this week I had seen all five of these games.
10%
At least one of the games was new to me this week to see for the first time ever.
74%

Total votes: 42

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 7/20/20 rerun week

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/10/84 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HOLIDAYS

9/10/84 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE  
The third Monday of January starting in 1986

9/11/84 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CALENDAR

9/11/84 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE  
Calendar date with which the 20th century began  

10/4/85 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS AND INDUSTRY

10/4/85 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE  
Over 1/2 of Fortune 500 and 42% of all N.Y. Stock Exchange companies are incorporated in this state

1/15/90 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. PRESIDENTS

1/15/90 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE  
Of the 1st 7 presidents, only these 2 were not re-elected

12/3/93 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN PLAYWRIGHTS

12/3/93 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE  
1 of 3 women who won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in the 1980s

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Martin Luther King Day
January 1, 1901
Delaware
John Adams & John Quincy Adams
(1 of) Wendy Wasserstein, Beth Henley or Marsha Norman
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 7/20/20 rerun week

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not a full regular poll, but enough to see how the FJ! clues went and to keep from getting completely rusty on running them.

For FJ! clue voting each person has to decide on their own how to vote under the unusual circumstances this week. For me I'm going with how I recall doing the first time I played the clues many years ago. For others it's fine to only consider how you did this week even if some or all of the games were not completely new.

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(

Definitely saw all of the games years ago.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said no on Delaware and the Pulitzer. I would get Delaware now but not then. I checked out Frank’s game and was spoiled but I probably wouldn’t have gotten it.

I did see all of Frank’s first run and the 10th anniversary tournament. Chuck was new to me and when I saw him on BOTD. I saw S1E1 during S25. I have seen FJ of E2 on the internet but not the whole game.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I think I'd seen all but #2, for which I'd only seen a clip of Final. I can't believe I missed the Adams-Adams clue, but I had Hamilton on the brain and wasn't even thinking any second-generation dudes made it into the first 7.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

First two were not new for me, but I believe I got them the first time I read them.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:39 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

First two were not new for me, but I believe I got them the first time I read them.
Was the entirety of #2 up somewhere? In that case I may have seen it
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:43 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:39 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Was the entirety of #2 up somewhere? In that case I may have seen it
I just used the archive. Never saw the games before last week.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I know I saw all Chuck and Frank's games when they originally aired.
Seems like I've seen a replay of episode #1, but I can't say for sure. I doubt I saw either of the first two episodes when they originaly aired because I was living in a dormitory, and not too many guys had TVs. There may have been 1 or 2 TVs per floor, and no one was tuning in to Jeopardy!.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :roll:
Guessed California for the state.
Had absolutely nothing for the plays.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Couldn't even muster a guess Friday.

Pretty sure this was my first time seeing any of these episodes. And technically I didn't see Tuesday's episode, my local affiliate decided to run a rerun from this season that day for some reason.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:36 pm I said no on Delaware and the Pulitzer. I would get Delaware now but not then.
I marked yes for Delaware, but I, too, would not have gotten it back then. I would get it now only because I have been working in a law library for the past 15 years.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Saw them all, and got all the FJs this time. First time around, I'd have included the incorrect day of the week, and I had no idea about Delaware. Wasserstein was the one playwright I knew then but I could have added the others this time.

I remember Alex saying (some early season) that each year (inspired I believe by the contestants' 0/3 performance) they rehash the century question. I guess they discontinued that at some point. Too bad.

My grandmother was a big fan of Chuck's. Never saw Frank on the subway, though I had a friend who knew him.
I'm smart and I want respect.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I marked that I missed the Friday FJ. I knew about the stories regarding Wasserstein reaching out to Frank and I remembered her name, so I knew she was an answer, but were it not for that, I would have had no clue. So I would have gotten it right, but if it were not for knowing about this episode, I would not have.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Lefty wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:31 am Saw them all, and got all the FJs this time. First time around, I'd have included the incorrect day of the week, and I had no idea about Delaware. Wasserstein was the one playwright I knew then but I could have added the others this time.

I remember Alex saying (some early season) that each year (inspired I believe by the contestants' 0/3 performance) they rehash the century question. I guess they discontinued that at some point. Too bad.

My grandmother was a big fan of Chuck's. Never saw Frank on the subway, though I had a friend who knew him.
I know recently they did a category of "What century did this happen in?" - and I'm not talking about in any of the reruns over the past couple of weeks; it was a new episode. I always hate that category, because it takes me a split second to figure out whether I add 1 or subtract 1 from the first two digits. Of course, it depends on which way you're going - sixteenth century, subtract 1 to get 1500s (well, except for those two pesky border years), while for 1600s, add 1 to get seventeenth century.

I wonder if they'd accept "What is the 1700s?" - it's still naming a century. They have "name the decade" categories all the time, and they don't expect the "187th decade", they expect the 1860s.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Feels good to go 5-5 even in an unusual week.... :)
Since I don't know when I got my first VCR I have no idea whether I've seen the earliest shows before or not...Until recently ( :cry: ) I've seldom been home at 7 PM on a weeknight. I don't recall the clues in any case...I've seen Frank Spangenberg in NY at least once.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:52 pm I wonder if they'd accept "What is the 1700s?" - it's still naming a century. They have "name the decade" categories all the time, and they don't expect the "187th decade", they expect the 1860s.
In the recent GOAT tournament, Brad offered "What is the 1500s?" for a clue requesting the century of Columbus's last voyage. Alex fumbled a bit but accepted the response. That was on a different network, but presumably the same rules apply.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:05 pm
talkingaway wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:52 pm I wonder if they'd accept "What is the 1700s?" - it's still naming a century. They have "name the decade" categories all the time, and they don't expect the "187th decade", they expect the 1860s.
In the recent GOAT tournament, Brad offered "What is the 1500s?" for a clue requesting the century of Columbus's last voyage. Alex fumbled a bit but accepted the response. That was on a different network, but presumably the same rules apply.
I don't see how they could ever neg a response like that unless Alex gave specific directions at the category reveal.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

What talkingaway says is true, but that is only because decades and centuries are conventionally referred to in different ways. "1500s" is indefinite as to the century since it encompasses both the 15th and 16th centuries. If, hypothetically, Columbus last sailed in 1500 (it was really 1502), 1500s would be technically correct, even though they would be going for the 15th century (not the 16th). Points awarded to Brad on the technical correctness, I suspect.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
Might have gotten one of the Pulitzer prize winners at the time of the broadcast, but no chance now. Would have gotten the presidents when my pre-game studies were a little fresher, but that factoid has long since fled my RAM.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.