Looks Like Jeopardy! Has Resumed Production

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Looks Like Jeopardy! Has Resumed Production

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:14 pm I further suggest that a new host will not directly coincide with a major change to the set -- they won't want to change multiple familiar aspects of the show at the same time.
That's the direction I've been thinking as well. I was surprised that so many people seem to think they'll want to make a lot of changes when Alex's replacement comes along. I'd think they'd want to keep everything exactly the way it is to convince viewers that it's the same show and there's no reason to stop watching.
jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Interestingly, when Bob Barker retired as the host of The Price is Right and then Drew Carey took his place, the set underwent a lot of cosmetic changes; also, the iconic theme song and the "come on down" music cue were re-recorded (with extra percussion added to the "come on down" cue).

So I wouldn't be surprised if Jeopardy! were to do something similar after Alex retires from the show.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:12 pm
Please stop posting your beliefs as fact.
But if it was on Reddit, it has to be true, right?
--
Drowning in the pool
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:59 pm
trainman wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:14 pm I further suggest that a new host will not directly coincide with a major change to the set -- they won't want to change multiple familiar aspects of the show at the same time.
That's the direction I've been thinking as well. I was surprised that so many people seem to think they'll want to make a lot of changes when Alex's replacement comes along. I'd think they'd want to keep everything exactly the way it is to convince viewers that it's the same show and there's no reason to stop watching.
There's two schools of thought, we just don't know which one the show will decide on.

One is as Opus said, by only changing the host, many people will see it as the same show and keep watching.

But the other is that by only changing the host, many people will still see this as "Alex's show" and not want to see someone else doing it, and stop watching.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:25 am Interestingly, when Bob Barker retired as the host of The Price is Right and then Drew Carey took his place, the set underwent a lot of cosmetic changes; also, the iconic theme song and the "come on down" music cue were re-recorded (with extra percussion added to the "come on down" cue).

So I wouldn't be surprised if Jeopardy! were to do something similar after Alex retires from the show.
Huh. Jeopardy! feels different to me. But maybe that's just because it's "my" show. That aside, the circumstances of Alex's departure may make a difference in what feels right--mixing things up a bit vs honoring a legacy.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:33 am There's two schools of thought, we just don't know which one the show will decide on.

One is as Opus said, by only changing the host, many people will see it as the same show and keep watching.

But the other is that by only changing the host, many people will still see this as "Alex's show" and not want to see someone else doing it, and stop watching.
I think that's a good summation. My preference would be toward changing as little as possible. But I'm used to finding out my preferences differ from those of the majority. And when the time comes, I may find out that I feel differently than I thought I would. I expect to continue watching the show either way, but it wouldn't shock me to find out that it's just too painful when the time comes--again either way, with max continuity or major changes.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:57 am
triviawayne wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:33 am There's two schools of thought, we just don't know which one the show will decide on.

I think that's a good summation. My preference would be toward changing as little as possible. But I'm used to finding out my preferences differ from those of the majority. And when the time comes, I may find out that I feel differently than I thought I would. I expect to continue watching the show either way, but it wouldn't shock me to find out that it's just too painful when the time comes--again either way, with max continuity or major changes.
I think some of the decisions will be about when and how the situation unfolds.

Some possibilities...

Alex does a full season, says goodbye on the final show of the season: new host (age 30-45), new set, new music at beginning of the next season.

Alex does a partial season, says goodbye on his final episode: new (possibly interim) host (age 60+), if possible, Alex introduces host on next episode, wait until the beginning of the next season for the other changes (including full replacement age 30-45 host).

And what we all don't want to even think about:

Alex does partial season, but does not get to say goodbye: split season with reruns for 2-4 weeks, new host (age 60+). When show returns, keep set/music until the next season, keep the host. In this scenario, one season might even run right into the next (season ends on a Friday in September, new season begins the following Monday).
Total game show career losings = $171,522
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

The other thing to think about when you're talking about changing the set and music is where the psyche of the US (and the world) will be when Alex steps down. We're in a time of crisis, and the "comfort food" of nostalgia is going to be in demand for quite awhile.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/28/smar ... algia.html

I don't think you could say the current set looks dated. And it's not like there's new technology that would be beneficial out there to the show, like the switch to one giant HD screen instead of 30 (or 36) TV sets, or the switch from the 1980s "light pens" to the more modern touchscreens I presume we have now.

I think J! is a part of people's nightly ritual, transitioning from dinner to prime time TV watching....changing up that ritual during a time of stress may not get the best reaction. At best, I think people would say, "the new set's fine, but so was the old one - it doesn't change the show". At worst, people will say "Ugh, this new set is awful."

My vote for worst set: the Jennings-era "metallic set" with trapezoid podiums. Maybe I'm just the anti-Antonio Gaudi, but I need my right angles.

https://gameshows.fandom.com/wiki/Jeopardy!/Sets
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:29 pm
I don't think you could say the current set looks dated. And it's not like there's new technology that would be beneficial out there to the show, like the switch to one giant HD screen instead of 30 (or 36) TV sets, or the switch from the 1980s "light pens" to the more modern touchscreens I presume we have now.

I don't think the current set looks dated at all, despite it's been in use for 7 years already. But at the same time, I don't think it's possible to make a TV monitor the size of the game board; that to me doesn't sound realistic. Best case would be to revert back to a nearly-seamless projection wall like the traveling sets had before 2009 as well as the Ken Jennings set with the HD modifications in 2006; except even then I don't see that happening.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I make no representations about its accuracy, but this article says that J! is "expected" to resume taping this week.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/28/wheel-of- ... istancing/
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Not much different than how it was for the last shows this spring w/ no audience.
I wouldn't think there would be a lot involved in seperating the podiums a couple feet. Even if they had to construct completely new ones.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How far apart are the contestants on Jeopardy and Wheel?
davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by davopardy »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:35 am How far apart are the contestants on Jeopardy and Wheel?
Normally I'd say roughly 3 to 4 feet for Jeopardy and 4 to 5 feet for Wheel. However, I could be wrong.

I think another change that hasn't been brought up yet is the post-game chat after Final Jeopardy! (during the credits) could they perhaps revert back to doing the post-game chat in front of an (empty) audience with the same social distancing rules in place or could it all remain pretty much the same as it's been with modifications to accommodate said social distancing guidelines?
"Jeopardy! was Created by Merv Griffin." -Johnny Gilbert (1996-2000)