Wednesday, May 1, 2002 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 1, 2002 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 1, 2002 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Sorry to interrupt, theFJGuy, but I just wanted to point out that the exchange between Alex and Frank on clue 1, as seen in the Archive, is from tapes of the original broadcast. That exchange has been edited out of some rebroadcasts and may not appear on today's airing. So the "mass corrector" can go ahead and skip that one.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ESPIONAGE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He was born in India; his father worked for the British government & he was nicknamed for a Kipling character

Bob Harris: 15800+4200=20000 (Semifinalist)
Rachael Schwartz: 10100+2301=12401
Frank Spangenberg: 19200-12401=6799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Kim Philby (Frank – John LeCarre)

Daily Doubles
Rachael: 4000+1000
Frank: 13600+4000
Rachael: 8000-1500

Coryats
Bob: 15800
Rachael: 11400
Frank: 16400

Combined: 43,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Bob: 7000
Rachael: 6000
Frank: 4800

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=546
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The posts in this thread may turn out to be a little weird and I almost think there should be a thread for having already seen all 10 games and another thread treating each game without knowledge of the ones that follow.

I’ve seen all ten games (more than once back in the day) though will try to post without going beyond today’s game.

Bob is Bob and always fun & memorable so no surprise at all he got an invite as the 1998 ToC was reasonably fresh. Objection: Dan Melia the actual winner of that ToC was left on the protest line.

Rachael was the first woman to win a ToC, so ticket punched.

Frank needs no introduction and there was no way he was not going to make the cut of 15 for this event.

If Frank gets the FJ! clue right then he can kick back for the rest of the QF games. It was a big shock to see him finish third in this match.

Rachael is in position for a wildcard while 12401 on QF1 means anxious time sitting through the other first round games.

The FJ! clue was a miss for me in 2002 while it seems so easy and straightforward in 2020 after knowing more about how to connect those dots.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I remember reading somewhere where Frank thought and thought afterward and concluded that he simply had never heard of Kim Philby. I first knew of him from his obit in the New York Times. I later read "My Secret War" which was a waste of time (for me) and 48¢ (of mine). He implausibly claims not to have particularly known Burgess or Maclean at Cambridge and obviously never mentions Blunt or Cairncross. I guess I was naive, but I felt like his last victim.
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:27 am Sorry to interrupt, theFJGuy, but I just wanted to point out that the exchange between Alex and Frank on clue 1, as seen in the Archive, is from tapes of the original broadcast. That exchange has been edited out of some rebroadcasts and may not appear on today's airing. So the "mass corrector" can go ahead and skip that one.
Looks like they kept that in. What they edited out was my favorite part of the Frank Spangenberg interview. This is one easy place to point to if people wonder why Frank was a fan favorite. They should NOT have tampered with it. See it here:

https://youtu.be/iRNCSB46ckg
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:13 pm I remember reading somewhere where Frank thought and thought afterward and concluded that he simply had never heard of Kim Philby. I first knew of him from his obit in the New York Times. I later read "My Secret War" which was a waste of time (for me) and 48¢ (of mine). He implausibly claims not to have particularly known Burgess or Maclean at Cambridge and obviously never mentions Blunt or Cairncross. I guess I was naive, but I felt like his last victim.
A Spy among Friends : Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal
by Ben Macintyre

is an excellent, suspenseful book about that most duplicitous of men... :ugeek:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:46 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:27 am Sorry to interrupt, theFJGuy, but I just wanted to point out that the exchange between Alex and Frank on clue 1, as seen in the Archive, is from tapes of the original broadcast. That exchange has been edited out of some rebroadcasts and may not appear on today's airing. So the "mass corrector" can go ahead and skip that one.
Looks like they kept that in. What they edited out was my favorite part of the Frank Spangenberg interview. This is one easy place to point to if people wonder why Frank was a fan favorite. They should NOT have tampered with it. See it here:

https://youtu.be/iRNCSB46ckg
Seemed they were oddly short... It could also just have been for plain ol commercial time. Have to sell, what, 8 minutes now?, maybe it was 6 back then. At least they're not running the show at 1.1x speed like some networks do with their reruns...

I already knew Philby from before this, but a recent Cracked brought him up:
https://www.cracked.com/article_28168_5 ... -show.html
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The exchange as aired tonight is longer than it is as archived. Alex says "Smarter than the ordinary, or average bear? No?" before saying what's quoted in the Archive. (He also said "can't" and not "cannot.") I could see that being intentionally withheld, though, as Alex gives away the correct response in a way that can't be replaced with [*].
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bob didn't give much (strategy) thought to his final wager. I'm puzzled that he didn't bet the extra $201 to outscore Rachael, in the event he needed a wildcard spot.
Even if Rachael didn't double up, it would have been good insurance for Bob to go 2-3 dollars over the even 20 grand just because someone else is likely to settle for the nice round number when they don't need to win to advance.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:33 pm Bob didn't give much (strategy) thought to his final wager. I'm puzzled that he didn't bet the extra $201 to outscore Rachael, in the event he needed a wildcard spot.
From what I recall of Bob's book, he doesn't have much to say about wagering strategy. So I suspect he's clueless on this point and didn't give it a lot of thought.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:14 am
Category 13 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:33 pm Bob didn't give much (strategy) thought to his final wager. I'm puzzled that he didn't bet the extra $201 to outscore Rachael, in the event he needed a wildcard spot.
From what I recall of Bob's book, he doesn't have much to say about wagering strategy. So I suspect he's clueless on this point and didn't give it a lot of thought.
I just pulled out his book. He went into it planning to aim for $20,000. He simply stuck with his plan.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:45 pm
The exchange as aired tonight is longer than it is as archived. Alex says "Smarter than the ordinary, or average bear? No?" before saying what's quoted in the Archive. (He also said "can't" and not "cannot.") I could see that being intentionally withheld, though, as Alex gives away the correct response in a way that can't be replaced with [*].
Now I have to dig out my tape. At one point I made sure the full exchange was in the Archive.
yclept

Post by yclept »

This game brought back some bad memories. Frank was one of my all-time favorites and once he got on a roll in this game, he was tough to stop. That darn FJ, though.

He could have and should have played it safe in FJ but I assume his thought process was that these are 15 of the best players so maybe my score won’t hold up. Oh well.

Easy to forget how good Bob Harris was back in the day - had that rough TOC experience but he was a tough competitor. Rachael was always competitive and once again put up a solid score in this game.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:40 am
I just pulled out his book. He went into it planning to aim for $20,000. He simply stuck with his plan.
Sounds about right. Did you find the dollar bill he hid between pages 152 and 153?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Viewed recently but would have missed Lady Baltimore Cake and Pork Bellies if seen for first time.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Smarter Than the Average Bear, Rwanda, Niger, Caldwell, (War and Peace)
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:25 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:40 am
Sounds about right. Did you find the dollar bill he hid between pages 152 and 153?
My copy didn't come with one. To make it up to me, he signed my book a little under a day before I joined him in the club of ToC second runners-up. Perhaps he jinxed me and I should have waited another 24 hours to ask him.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I remember Bob was nice enough to meet with me at a (Culver City, IIRC) coffee shop right when Trebekistan came out. In the hours before the meeting I ran around to the area bookshops (remember those?) to buy up the local supply so that I could have something to get autographed (one for me and a few for friends). To my surprise, he brought copies with him to give me!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought this tournament was new to me but I recall Alex’s comment about nobody turning down an invitation.

I took me a bit to remember Kim’s last name and I wasn’t 100% sure but I got there in time.

Bad bet by Frank.