Monday, May 6, 2002 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 6, 2002 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 6, 2002 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Founded in 1758, it's named for a British prime minister who was a noted defender of the American Colonists

Leslie Shannon: 10000+10000=20000
Eddie Timanus: 800-800=0
Bob Verini: 21000+0=21000 (Semifinalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pittsburgh (Eddie – Atlanta)

Daily Doubles
Bob: 1000+1000
Bob: 14800+1800
Eddie: 6400-6400

Coryats
Leslie: 10000
Eddie: 7200
Bob: 20200

Combined: 37,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Leslie: 4400
Eddie: 2400
Bob: 8400

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=549
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bob stood at the #3 position while playing like he belonged at the champ’s spot in wrapping up a spot in the semis before the FJ! round.

When Bob plays in an event he does not get bounced early as he made (and won) the finals of his ToC and came in second in the Super J! final.

Leslie matched Eric with a 10K doubled to set up a tie for WC2 with a QF game remaining.

Eddie took his shot on DD3 and it did not work out and at least he grabbed an $800 rebound to be around for the FJ! round.

This game eliminated Rachael from WC consideration as 10100+2301=12401 did not cut it while 10100+10100=20200 would have cinched a WC spot.

The FJ! clue was a miss for me in aught two as I would not have had a good Rolodex of British PM names at the ready. With a broader list of names to consider the right one quickly jumps out in 2020 to make the connection to a city.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

This game had an impressive number of what I call "singletons" - things where that was the only time Jeopardy has ever asked about it (at least in the Archive). And Bob knew an impressive number of them!

I had 42/60, which I was pleased with given the number of things I had never heard of. Coin flipped wrong on nitrous oxide vs. ether and Descartes vs. Pascal... but at least I learned some TOM to keep it from being a coinflip next time.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I could swear there was a time they had a blind contestant on J!, and one of the changes they made was having an audio tone accompany the lights on the side of the J! board to signal when it's "safe" to buzz in. I didn't notice that in this episode - was there another blind contestant, or did Eddie use this method in his earlier rounds, or is this a false memory?

Side note: I'm very sure I'm not conflating it with the tone they used in the first few months of J! when the contestants could ring in willy-nilly.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:24 pm I could swear there was a time they had a blind contestant on J!, and one of the changes they made was having an audio tone accompany the lights on the side of the J! board to signal when it's "safe" to buzz in. I didn't notice that in this episode - was there another blind contestant, or did Eddie use this method in his earlier rounds, or is this a false memory?

Side note: I'm very sure I'm not conflating it with the tone they used in the first few months of J! when the contestants could ring in willy-nilly.
If I remember correctly, Eddie was in the Battle of the Decades (J! Archive seems to be down right now) and I also think I remember something about a tone being played.
mujason

Post by mujason »

I remember the audio tone was used when Eddie competed in the TOC.
-Jason
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Eddie got a tone in the UToC (not his ToC). I don't think Dave Oberhart did (before the UToC).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:24 pm I could swear there was a time they had a blind contestant on J!, and one of the changes they made was having an audio tone accompany the lights on the side of the J! board to signal when it's "safe" to buzz in. I didn't notice that in this episode - was there another blind contestant, or did Eddie use this method in his earlier rounds, or is this a false memory?

Don't miss the links at the top: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=219
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:36 pm Eddie got a tone in the UToC (not his ToC). I don't think Dave Oberhart did (before the UToC).
How about Kerri Regan (Teen Tournament right before UToC)?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:37 pm

Don't miss the links at the top: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=219
Ah, thanks, that's it! I hadn't searched Eddie's other shows yet, since I thought it was more likely there was another blind contestant wanted a different accommodation.

That tone is 100% 80's game show. I love it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:41 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:36 pm Eddie got a tone in the UToC (not his ToC). I don't think Dave Oberhart did (before the UToC).
How about Kerri Regan (Teen Tournament right before UToC)?
Not that I recall, do you?

Her player page says this, and nothing else: "As an accommodation for a disability, Kerri was given a card with the name of the categories in Braille at the beginning of each round."

Here are Alex's opening remarks for the Oberhart game:

Alex: I'm sure many of you remember one of our most popular Jeopardy! champions of a couple of years ago, Eddie Timanus. You'll all recall that, though Eddie was blind, he was a 5-day champion, appeared in a couple of tournaments, won many thousands of dollars and two brand new automobiles, demonstrating quite nicely that even people who are physically challenged can succeed on this program. Well today, we are happy to welcome Dave, who is also blind, and as was the case with Eddie, the only accommodation we're going to make for Dave is to present him with a Braille sheet of paper that contains the categories for each round, so if you three are all ready to go, I will give the category card to you, Dave; here it is.

Here are Alex's opening remarks for the Regan game:

Alex: Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the second of our quarter-final matches in this year's Teen Tournament. The first player we introduced today--Kerri Regan--is attempting to follow in the footsteps of one of our most popular <i>Jeopardy!</i> players--Eddie Timanus--who was also totally blind. He wound up winning five games, a lot of cash and two automobiles. Kerri, the only accommodation we will make for you is the one we made for Eddie Timanus and that is giving you a card, which has, in Braille, all of the categories for each round. Here it is for you.

Kerri: Thank you.

Alex: All righty, and she will have to remember, of course, the clues that have been used up in each category. So, Kerri, Steve and Ruvani, good luck.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Great White Shark, Their Mistakes, Ingratitude, Ben-Hur, Walt Whitman, William Shakespeare, (Virginal), Rene Descartes
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This re-air cut the "Old Time Rock 'N' Roll" flashback clip for Bob Verini right after Alex says "It helps to have a bit of the show business about you" during Bob's contestant interview sgment, a classic moment in which he mimed along intensely with the Audio Daily Double from his past game. (Along with the flashback for Leslie, which was her stating as follows: "There was an article about me on the front page of the Wall Street Journal saying that I was a Jeopardy! winner and unemployed, and I got fifteen job offers from around the country, and I took one and I moved to Dallas, and my life is completely different now." Eddie's "suck-ers" flashback clip from #3627 was retained, however.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:13 pm This re-air cut the "Old Time Rock 'N' Roll" flashback clip for Bob Verini right after Alex says "It helps to have a bit of the show business about you" during Bob's contestant interview sgment, a classic moment in which he mimed along intensely with the Audio Daily Double from his past game. (Along with the flashback for Leslie, which was her stating as follows: "There was an article about me on the front page of the Wall Street Journal saying that I was a Jeopardy! winner and unemployed, and I got fifteen job offers from around the country, and I took one and I moved to Dallas, and my life is completely different now." Eddie's "suck-ers" flashback clip from #3627 was retained, however.)
Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't even think to check. Maybe I'll just upload all of these and let you guys tell me if anything got cut:

https://youtu.be/D47SmmlovOc