Tuesday, May 7, 2002 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 7, 2002 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 7, 2002 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OSCARS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 2 Best Picture nominees for 1983 that featured astronaut characters

Robin Carroll: 8800-3200=5600
India Cooper: 18200-100=18100 (Semifinalist)
Babu Srinivasan: 6000+6000=12000

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Right Stuff & Terms of Endearment (Robin – E.T. & Apollo 13) (India – Apollo 13 & The Right Stuff)

Daily Doubles
Babu: minus 400+1000
Robin: 5400+5000
India: 13200+5000

Coryats
Robin: 5400
India: 14800
Babu: 5600

Combined: 25,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Robin: 2600
India: 4800
Babu: 400

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=553
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice work by India to sew up a place in the semis before the FJ! clue after waiting a while to play in QF5.

Double bad breaks for Babu in playing DD1 from the red and then still being too low in the FJ! round to make his sole solve work for a WC spot.

Claudia got WC4 as Rachael left too much on the table with her conservative wager in QF1.

Good thing for Robin she missed the FJ! clue as otherwise she would have had time to think about letting a possible 17600 and a WC slot getting away.

I don’t remember all of the online chatter going into this event but certainly Frank was a fan favorite pick to possibly win the whole thing while Eddie & Babu also had big rooting interests based on comments that went as far as to think they could actually win it all also.

The FJ! clue was a miss for me in 2002 and a solve when replaying it this week. It’s kind of mean to have one QF require a two-part response while the others did not although it was not going to change the result of India being the only one to move on.

Double up names next week with two Bobs and two Leslies.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

What was tagged on to the end of today's reairing:
Spoiler
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Why did they feel the need to cut the announcement of the semi-finalists?

I only got Right Stuff. Forgot about Terms.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

econgator wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 pm Why did they feel the need to cut the announcement of the semi-finalists?

If they're going to cut anything, it's a fairly easy cut to make. I imagine even the official site lists the champ, so there's not a lot of mystery for the vault episodes.

I did the same thing as you and subbed in ET full well knowing it was 1982 and not 1983, and thinking incorrectly that it was not a Best Picture movie. I just knew the second part of the response was going to be an "A-ha, it's a HIDDEN astronaut!" response, and I was right. I knew the "Nicholson-astronaut-Endearment" connection, but wasn't going to pull it out.
davey

Post by davey »

I thought of Terms of Endearment first because the astronaut character stands out, was blocked by Apollo 13 for a while though I knew it was much later. I love The Right Stuff, should have been immediate...I suppose it was 18 years ago!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 pm Why did they feel the need to cut the announcement of the semi-finalists?
Repeats aren't going to pay for themselves...

That said...anyone...have a clip?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:30 pm
Repeats aren't going to pay for themselves...

That said...anyone...have a clip?
Video quality's not great, but here you go:

https://youtu.be/36p6H47rG2g
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had a recorder snafu tonight. Did anyone record this who could share it with me?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:51 am I had a recorder snafu tonight. Did anyone record this who could share it with me?
I found that typical weird version on YT with a search of the show and today's date. Beginning and end are there so I assume middle is okay.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:59 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:51 am I had a recorder snafu tonight. Did anyone record this who could share it with me?
I found that typical weird version on YT with a search of the show and today's date. Beginning and end are there so I assume middle is okay.
Yeah, I did too, but I figured it couldn't hurt to attempt to be greedy.
yclept

Post by yclept »

This was a pretty tough matchup overall. Babu won $75,000 in his five shows. Robin was a five-time winner and a multi tournament winner while India Cooper won $68,000+ in her five shows.

India’s huge risk on that final DD turned out to be quite the clutch get. If she misses that, Babu sneaks in through the backdoor to win the game.

Heading into this tournament back in the day, Robin seemed like a good bet to win it, given all her recent success playing the game.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Probably. :D

While my PC thinks about that, here are the contestant interviews from an old version of this game. I believe the 2020 re-airing leaves them intact and makes up the time by not showing who the semi-finalists are. But anyone who wants can watch this and confirm for themselves:

https://youtu.be/e3vTx6BOL5w
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:19 pm

If they're going to cut anything, it's a fairly easy cut to make. I imagine even the official site lists the champ, so there's not a lot of mystery for the vault episodes.

I did the same thing as you and subbed in ET full well knowing it was 1982 and not 1983, and thinking incorrectly that it was not a Best Picture movie. I just knew the second part of the response was going to be an "A-ha, it's a HIDDEN astronaut!" response, and I was right. I knew the "Nicholson-astronaut-Endearment" connection, but wasn't going to pull it out.
I felt really proud of myself for remembering the Nicholson character and equally proud for writing down "What are Terms of Endearment and Apollo 13?" in time. Then I had a VERY LATE "AHA!" moment, remembering that Apollo 13 wasn't made until the next decade. Scrambled for a second or two to come up with The Right Stuff, and had JUST enough time to cross out Apollo 13 and add in "Right Stuff" without even time left to add the leading "The." That was as close as it gets. And Oscars are not one of my stronger categories, so this was one of my better gets, enabling me to go 5-for-5 in FJs this week. I'll take it.

This tournament is a real walk down Memory Lane for me, seeing a lot of former contestants who were very memorable and personable in their original appearances. Still I look forward to a new season with new games, and I truly hope the producers are able to come up with new games in a safe manner. It's bad enough with the sequestering preventing us from having sports, restaurants, movies, jobs, economy, and so much else. J! would be such a welcome relief from the horrors we're all living through.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:53 pm Video quality's not great, but here you go:

https://youtu.be/36p6H47rG2g
Thank you!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed a couple of clues in Carter & Play Ball and Headaches of Millionaires $1200.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: Pomelo, A Million Bucks, Sea Cow, Bela Bartok, Weasel, Delphi, Delos, Mykonos, Piraeus, Bioluminescence, Transfiguration
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t have many 5/5 weeks and I certainly haven’t had one in a TOC. But I was perfect going into this but I knew I was in trouble when I saw the category. I did get The Right Stuff but I couldn’t remember what movie of that era had an astronaut and came up with Against All Odds.