Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by Lefty »

It is up now; went up sometime between 3:15 and 3:30 Eastern.
I'm smart and I want respect.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Lefty wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:32 am It is up now; went up sometime between 3:15 and 3:30 Eastern.
Thanks. I have a horrible sleeping schedule since I started WFH so might as well do it now lol
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had a defensive loss; although I struggled to come up with O2, I assumed once I had it that it would be easier for someone with better sports numbers, like my opponent. I gave it a 0, it was the only one he missed, and I also got five right and lost anyway. I gave my private opponent a mulligan on a missed question too, but she also missed O2, her three-pointer, so at least I won that.

I feel like I could have gotten Interpreter of Maladies if I had had someone read the question to me with Trebek-like intonation on "translator in a doctor's office."
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:58 am I had a defensive loss; although I struggled to come up with O2, I assumed once I had it that it would be easier for someone with better sports numbers, like my opponent.
The O2 isn't really a sports arena, more of a concert venue really. I got it, as I couldn't think of anything else it could be. Opened with a 4(4)-4(4) tie, missing the blood and (of course) lit questions. I think I've heard of the rhesus thing, but never would've pulled it but I did consider putting down monkey as that is a 6 letter primate. Went with baboon instead, with all the a, b, and o's in it.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I work in telecom and had never heard of O2, though my company only works with American carriers.

I struggled with how to assign defense yesterday, but got a 7(5)-4(3) win.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:58 am
I feel like I could have gotten Interpreter of Maladies if I had had someone read the question to me with Trebek-like intonation on "translator in a doctor's office."
I had "Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures" stuck in my head for a while, based on the doctor's office, but knew it was wrong since it was a Canadian book that was published several years later. I finally pulled the correct title when parsing out that phrase. Once I thought of the title, it seemed to fit well enough to go with it. I missed the stadium but managed a 7(5)-4(3) win.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Once again not getting a question I maybe should have.

While I never heard of O2 as a cell phone provider, that was the part of the question I focused on instead of trying to simply name stadiums/arenas in England which I have heard of. If I wasn't working for a cell phone company in the Y2K era, I might not have focused on that.

At least I didn't lose the game because of it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

A narrow loss to begin LL86: 4(3)-5(4). Evidently, the six-letter primate species was not GORILLA BUT WITH ONE L.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Love starting off giving up a 9(5). My opponent has an .800 in science, but misses rhesus and a .400 in Literature, but has heard of some obscure book.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:46 am Love starting off giving up a 9(5). My opponent has an .800 in science, but misses rhesus and a .400 in Literature, but has heard of some obscure book.
In a new group I'll have to learn how much to trust the opponent percentages as I gave the Lit a 3 and the TV show a 2 even though the numbers said not to do that. The numbers were right.

My opponent knew to give me the 0 for the TV show and I took a 4(4)-5(4) loss to open the season.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

If it's a literature question I don't know, I almost always give it a 3. Worked yesterday.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I knew the book was "The Interpreter of... something", and I thought the something was maladies, but I knew there was a book called "The Emperor of All Maladies" (about cancer) and I was kinda afraid I was mixing up two different things. But with nothing better to go on, I went with it anyway.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:40 am While I never heard of O2 as a cell phone provider, that was the part of the question I focused on instead of trying to simply name stadiums/arenas in England which I have heard of.
Same here. I missed that one and the Lahiri book title (which for some bizarre reason my opponent assigned zero to!).
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

I will say, defense as a rookie on my first match day EVER was incredibly tough. I ended up assigning defense based on what I knew and didn't know. Turns out that my opponent did the exact same thing and knew the exact same things, so we ended up with a 2(3) tie. Looking forward to future MDs when I at least have some historical data.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Missed the literature question and picked the most common wrong answer of "Bonobo".

After seeing the answer Rh related to blood rang a bell but rhesus wasn't one of the 6-letter primates I thought of at the time.

Lost my first rookie match 6(5) - 4(4)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

kerryoakie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:23 pm I will say, defense as a rookie on my first match day EVER was incredibly tough. I ended up assigning defense based on what I knew and didn't know. Turns out that my opponent did the exact same thing and knew the exact same things, so we ended up with a 2(3) tie. Looking forward to future MDs when I at least have some historical data.
Yeah, for that exact reason, defense is tough early in your LL career. I won't say it ever gets easy, but it does get easier.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:10 pm
kerryoakie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:23 pm I will say, defense as a rookie on my first match day EVER was incredibly tough. I ended up assigning defense based on what I knew and didn't know. Turns out that my opponent did the exact same thing and knew the exact same things, so we ended up with a 2(3) tie. Looking forward to future MDs when I at least have some historical data.
Yeah, for that exact reason, defense is tough early in your LL career. I won't say it ever gets easy, but it does get easier.
I'd say it's easier to assign defensive points as a rookie because you've really got very little to go on regarding your opponent. Doing well on defense as a rookie is another matter...
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm in Isthmus A.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

In LL85, I tied on MD1, 9(6)-9(5).

In LL86, I tied on MD1, 7(5)-7(5).

So at least my defense was better (assigned 2 points to the one question my opponent got wrong, not 0).
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Went back and forth between Bob Hope and George Burns. I wasn't sure if George Burns had lived to 100 so I went with Bob Hope. Still managed to pick up my first W.
Last edited by bluejaylink on Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.